There’s a first time for everything

Posted by: ST on August 20, 2005 at 11:37 pm

And I think this may be the first time I’ve ever agreed with Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.).

Why? Here’s the backstory.

Seems San Francisco “city supervisors” voted 8-3 last month to oppose the docking of the retired USS Iowa in SF’s Bay area. Here’s more:

The USS Iowa joined in battles from World War II to Korea to the Persian Gulf. It carried President Franklin Roosevelt home from the Teheran conference of allied leaders, and four decades later, suffered one of the nation’s most deadly military accidents.

Veterans groups and history buffs had hoped that tourists in San Francisco could walk the same teak decks where sailors dodged Japanese machine-gun fire and fired 16-inch guns that helped win battles across the South Pacific.

Instead, it appears that the retired battleship is headed about 80 miles inland, to Stockton, a gritty agricultural port town on the San Joaquin River and home of California’s annual asparagus festival.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., a former San Francisco mayor, helped secure $3 million to tow the Iowa from Rhode Island to the Bay Area in 2001 in hopes of making touristy Fisherman’s Wharf its new home.

But city supervisors voted 8-3 last month to oppose taking in the ship, citing local opposition to the Iraq war and the military’s stance on gays, among other things.

“If I was going to commit any kind of money in recognition of war, then it should be toward peace, given what our war is in Iraq right now,” Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi said.

Sen. Feinstein’s reaction?:

Feinstein called it a “very petty decision.”

“This isn’t the San Francisco that I’ve known and loved and grew up in and was born in,” Feinstein said.

Right on.

Wink: Jason Smith, who has posted a list with those city supervisors’ email addresses if you’re a San Francisco citizen and want to voice your opinion.

(Linking up with Mudville Gazette’s open post)

• California Conservative trackbacked with San Francisco Shuns USS IOWA
  • 9 Responses to “There’s a first time for everything”

Comments

1. Bachbone says:

Not being from CA, I don’t know…but does Sen. Feinstein, like much of the rest of Congress, pretty much live in Washington now? It seems that many congressional people have little knowledge of what really goes on in their home districts.

2. Mike says:

As a Californian, I have to take a different view on this. As utterly ashamed as I am to live in a state that harbors this kind of sentiment, I am actually more appalled at the acts of Diane Feinstein and a very select few.

Why? Well, my first question is, “What is in the best interest in preserving and honoring a ship who has given so much to history and our freedoms?” Is docking it in an OPENLY and VEHEMENTLY hostile area the proper respect it deserves? After facing our nations enemies and projecting democracy and freedom across the seas, does it really deserve to be memorialized in an area that neither respects it, values it, nor recognizes the sacrafices the ship and the people who served on board her gave?

This is not a question of SF or scrap metal as well. There are other places where people will honor the USS Iowa and those who served on her, and are fighting hard to get the chance. Places who do not see a memorial as a drain on budgets, but a symbol of pride for the city and the the nation.

I dont care where the ship eventually ends up, though I do hope I will get to see it and pay my respects. What I do care is that wherever she may rest, she will be respected and honored! And most importantly, all of those who wish to do the same can do so without having to worry about the community around them

3. Mike says:

I know I should I have included this in my first comment but having read more articles on this topic, I just have to say one thing. In regard to her quote of “This isn’t the San Francisco that I’ve known and loved and grew up in and was born in” I have to just say, YES IT IS! Look at the history of the city from the 60s till today, and you will see that not a damn thing has changed. It has always been Anti-Military, Anti-Mainstream, and depending on the decade, Liberal/leftist/communist.

Here is a brief reminder of the recent history of the area, Berkeley in specific (from Snopes.com)

On September 20, in anticipation of a Stop the War rally at University of California at Berkeley’s Sproul Hall Plaza (described as “the spot where countless protests have degenerated into burn-and-pillage free-for-alls, where rally-goers loot Bancroft Way and Telegraph Avenue stores, upturn vehicles and set fires”) Fire Chief Reginald Garcia ordered that flags be removed from fire trucks for the day in order to avoid making them the target of violence by anti-war demonstrators:

Officials said they were trying to avoid a repeat of violence that occurred during the Persian Gulf War in 1991, when demonstrators hurled rocks and bottles at city firetrucks sporting American flags. This week, the flag atop the Berkeley post office was burned in an anonymous act of protest, they said.

Yes Senator, this IS the same old place, and your record in the senate shows that you typify all that the SF bay has to offer.

4. David Foster says:

Increasingly, it seems that the main thing today’s “progressive” movement is about is their inability to feel respect for anything or anybody. This is by no means an isolated incident. See my post

An Incident at the Movies

5. - David ….. As JR put it:

“Once you get past honesty, morality, and ethics, the rest is a piece of cake”…

6. Seth says:

Living in San Francisco(not for much longer, trust me) I have to agree that this city is home to every anti-American, anti-military, portside point of view in the universe, but… There are still quite a few of us here who love our country, cherish freedom and defending freedom rather than using it to abuse the means of bringing it about and keeping it.

Regardless of the well deserved reputation San Francisco carries, it was still part of the United States last time I looked.
      If we permit the left to obliterate every last trace of anything here that holds any connotation of anything of an even remotely patriotic nature, there will be no point of reference remaining locally for upcoming generations to refer to.
      This is part of the liberals’ strategy, and we see it in schools not only out here in the Land of the Lotus Eaters, but all across the country: Out of sight, out of mind, liberal indoctrination for kids. If we don’t teach the children it existed or happened, they won’t know about it so they won’t teach it to the next generation, and after a couple of cycles, it will cease to exist, another triumph of revisionist history.

7. Thanks, everyone, for your comments! I don’t live in San Fran, so I’m interested in the perspective of those who live in and around that area. This seems to be a pretty boneheaded move by those city supervisors and I hope people are emailing them and letting them know (in a respectful manner) what they think about their votes on this.