Mellowing out

Posted by: ST on October 12, 2005 at 8:49 pm

With all the contentiousness surrounding the nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court, I’m feeling the need to mellow out a bit tonight – so I’m listening to Sting’s Ten Summoner’s Tales and getting ready to start reading a non-political book. Haven’t picked out which one … but I need to get away from politics for a few minutes at least ;)

And while I’m on the topic of mellow music, anyone have any recommendations? I’m always on the lookout for music to mellow out to, whether it be smooth jazz, a sweet country tune about days gone by, or light 80s and 90s pop/light rock stuff.

14 Responses to “Mellowing out”

Comments

1. LCVRWC says:

Music to relax by? Sade or Billie Holliday, or 50′s doo-wop does it for me.

2. Kevin says:

George Winston has a disc called ‘December’ that is very relaxing. Very relaxing. Puts me to sleep actually, but it’s good if you like piano.

Also, I just found a guy named Jorma Kaukonen and he’s both mellow and good. It’s hippy music though, mostly acoustic guitar. Apparently he’s from Jefferson Airplane, but I only heard him for the first time in August.

3. Jack Deth says:

I always fall back on Eva Cassidy when I want some distance from the day’s events, Sistertoldjah:

For a woman with no professional training, Eva definitely had some pipes!

Her “Live At Blues Alley” is superb. As is “Songbird” and “Time After Time”.

Jack.

4. Steve Skubinna says:

Sonny Clark – Cool Struttin’

5. PCD says:

I suppose if you want to veg out, “Sailing” by Christopher Cross.

Me, I’ll take,
    “Margaritaville” or “Cheesburger in Paradise” by Jimmy Buffett,
    “Legs”, “Sharp Dressed Man”, “Viva Las Vegas” by ZZ Top,
    “One Piece at Time(The Psychodilly Cadillac song)”, “Ring of Fire”, “A Boy Named Sue”, or “I Walk the Line” by Johnny Cash,
    “The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia” by Martina McBride,
    “No Huggie, No Kissie” by the Georgia Satellites,
    “Kodachrome” or “Cecilia” by Paul Simon,
    “Bridge Over Toubled Waters” or “Mrs. Robinson” by Simon & Garfunkel, or last but not least
    “Magic Carpet Ride” or “Born To Be Wild” by Steppenwolf

6. Eno says:

Anything by Leo Kottke

7. Brad says:

SHOUTcast is your friend! Look for Calmscape, set it, and forget it! (No, I’m not related to Ron Popeil either)

It all depends on your personal tastes. When I need to mellow out, instrumentals work best, come classical mixed in with contemporary works pretty good.

8. Fat Tone says:

Wind Cries Mary and Little Wing….Hendrix

9. PCD says:

Fat Tone,

What, no “Sitting on the Dock on the Bay”?

What about “Me and Bobby McGee” by Janis Joplin?

10. Kevin says:

Good relaxing music that’s just a bit different?
    I really like Balligomingo (3.99 used on amazon right now :) or anything by the Afro Celt Sound System. You can listen to sound bites on amazon if you like (I bet you already knew that…)
    Also if you were ever a fan of the old music the Weather Channel used to play in the background during the forecast screens, Unusual Weather by Michael Manring is another great disc to try.
    Good luck getting back in the groove– even missing your posts for a day is a loss to all.

Regards,
    Kevin

11. Fat Tone says:

Fat Tone,

What, no “Sitting on the Dock on the Bay”?

What about “Me and Bobby McGee” by Janis Joplin?

Comment by PCD @ 10/13/2005 – 1:43 pm

Those are cool to. Forty Mile Town by Eric Johnson….another great tune.

Well for me it is Iona or Eden’s bridge, both are contemporary Celtic. Iona’s cd “Beyond these Shores” is probably one of the most wonderful and haunting CDs I have ever heard. Or “Journey into the Morn” very wonderful, as it is a break down of the song “Be Thou My Vision”. Eden’s bridge has a CD out called “Isle of Tides”, it is quite wonderful also. It is about an island in Ireland and the history of that island.

Bob James’ and David Sanborn did a CD together called Double Vision. Very smooth jazz sound there.

If you are looking for something abit more Americana I like Brooks Williams, and Jan Krist.

Or there is always the Moody Blues, tough to go wrong there if you are looking for soothing.

LOL Of course by the time I post this you will be half way to your bed to go to sleep. LOL

13. fine dry wit says:

“Rachel Z. Trust The Universe”
    I sure can pick em.:wink:

14. Appreciate the recommendations, everyone! I have an ‘online jukebox’ of sorts (via Listen.com/Best Buy) that I can listen to and burn CDs of songs I like … I’ll definitely be checking out ya’ll’s recommendations :grin:

BTW, LC – Sade is one of my faves! And Kevin (the second Kevin who posted in this thread *grin*), thank you … I’m feeling back into the groove now :)