Actor Morgan Freeman criticizes black history month

Posted by: ST on December 18, 2005 at 12:09 pm

I like the way this guy thinks:

New York — Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is “ridiculous.”

“You’re going to relegate my history to a month?” the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS’ “60 Minutes” to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST).

“I don’t want a black history month. Black history is American history.”

[…]

Freeman notes there is no “white history month,” and says the only way to get rid of racism is to “stop talking about it.”

The actor says he believes the labels “black” and “white” are an obstacle to beating racism.

“I am going to stop calling you a white man and I’m going to ask you to stop calling me a black man,” Freeman says.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” –Martin Luther King, Jr. 8/28/63

I’d say Mr. Freeman understands the above concept. If only people like my Congressional Representative Mel Watt could as well.

Update: Read more commentary on this via Clark Baker, Mark in Mexico

Related Toldjah So posts:

10 Responses to “Actor Morgan Freeman criticizes black history month”

Comments

1. CavalierX says:

Poor guy’s buying a ticket on the Pariah Train alongside Bill Cosby.

2. Walter E. Wallis says:

Crow Jim, the biggest burden of the Black folk. At least, under Jim Crow, the Black still retained dignity.

3. CZ says:

Always admired Morgan’s talent as an outstanding actor. Now I can also admire him for his intellegence and guts.

4. Melissa in Texas says:

How refreshing! I have always thought black history month was pretty sad, particularly when it follows directly after MLK’s birthday (Which is basically celebrated all month!). MLK was a great visionary and his birth and accomplishments should be celebrated.
    I just think the whole thing is carried too far.
    When my daughter was in 6th grade, during black history month, I was appalled to discover that my daughter’s ENGLISH teacher assigned the students to write a report in EBONICS! I was appalled and immediately went to the school and registered my protest.

I did not know when this whole thing started, that the teacher was black. In the end, my daughter turned in a report written in proper english and received an A!

Perpetuating the black history thing only seems further racial divisions.
    I do not care what color people might be, we are all part of the human race!

Yes I am not a big fan of it either. A few years ago at Ft. Sill in OK the Base Historian put on display the history of black regiments that fought for the Confederacy. Even had an original uniform. Soon after it was up, he was ordered by the base Commander to take it down as he had received complaints. Of course the “Uncle Tom” comments were in the complaints. From that day on it was difficult to concern myself with these celebrations. I will always remember that history is written by the victor. – Lorica

6. Mark Lee says:

Horray !
    Another man with the courage to speak the truth ! I have always felt that the only way to achieve true justice for all is to spend less time seeing people a black, white, brown, red, etc., and just start seeing all men (male and female) as equal creations of God. But I agree with CavalierX: Freeman will no doubt be blasted by some demagogues who wish to continue to ride the racisim express.

Ohhh I meant to say. I have always enjoyed Morgan Freeman. I loved him in the movie Glory. Him and Denzel were so impressive. – Lorica

8. camojack says:

He’s one of the few, the proud in Hollyweird…and he sails, so I think he’s awesome. **==

9. Red Tory says:

Couldn’t have agreed more with him. As some others here have said, it was refreshing to see the absurd, politically correct b.s. sliced and diced in such a stylish manner! That said, perhaps at one time the concept served a purpose in raising the profile of “black history” that may have been neglected for various reasons, but now that it is fairly well incorporated into American history in general, the idea can be quietly retired.

10. fine dry wit says:

I expect that Mr. Freeman-think about his name for a minute-will be snubbed by the Naacp, the Revs Jackson/Sharpton, et. al.
    …whom I do not respect because I AM judging them by the content of their character.