Right now, I’m having to connect to the Internet via a dial up connection. To make a long story long, I called my phone company on Wednesday to schedule the transfer of my phone line to my new address – with an effective date of January 20th. On Thursday evening when I came home, I noticed I could not connect to the Internet – I reset my DSL modem several times, and when I would try to pull up my browser, the Earthlink diagnostics page would come up the spot where it tested the connection to the carrier was coming up “failed”. So I picked up my phone to see if I had a dial tone. I didn’t. I called my phone company on my cell phone to find out what the problem was and come to find out, the lady who had set up my transfer for the 20th neglected to change the disconnect date from it’s default of the 5th to the 20th. So my phone was disconnected on Thursday.