Forget to use protection? No problemo

Posted by: ST on August 25, 2006 at 9:58 am

The “morning after” pill will be available over the counter soon to women over 18, thanks to the FDA:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Women can buy the morning-after pill without a prescription, the government declared Thursday, a major step that nevertheless failed to quell the politically charged debate over access to emergency contraception.

It may soon be available for minors without a prescription, too:

The manufacturer, lawmakers and other advocates said they will press the government to allow minors to purchase the pills over the counter.

The Food and Drug Administration said that women 18 and older — and men purchasing for their partners — may buy the Plan B pills without a doctor’s note, but only from pharmacies.

Girls 17 and younger still will need a prescription to buy the pills, the FDA told manufacturer Barr Pharmaceuticals Inc., in ruling on an application filed in 2003.

Planned Parenthood’s president Cecile Richards said in response:

“While we are glad to know the FDA finally ended its foot-dragging on this issue, Planned Parenthood is troubled by the scientifically baseless restriction imposed on teenagers. The U.S. has one of the highest rates of teen pregnancy in the Western world — anything that makes it harder for teenagers to avoid unintended pregnancy is bad medicine and bad public policy,” president Cecile Richards said.

Um, considering that it’s thanks to groups like Planned Parenthood and their pro-teen sex (but SAFE sex, of course!) advocacy that have, by their very actions, helped create that alarming teen pregnancy rate here in the US, I find Ms. Richards statement comical. Well maybe not, considering the subject matter is so serious.

What is the best way to avoid unintended pregnancy if you’re a teen? We all know the answer, but groups like PP aren’t interested in hearing it: it’s called abstinence. I know that’s a dirty word in the halls of some of these ‘pro-women’s rights’ groups like NARAL but, well, that’s the answer. “But they’re going to do it anyway!” they say. Oh ok. Well I guess the answer is to just give up, lower the standards for teens, and tell them “Ok teens, we know you’re going to do it, so make sure you use protection. By the way, did you know that you could make condoms fun? Did you know that there are other ways to engage in sexual activity that don’t involve the actual “act”? Yep! Check it out:”

making teen sex fun!

These ‘women’s rights groups’ also want to ‘protect’ children and teens from their parents – even when an 11 year old admits on a Planned Parenthood site that they were raped by a 17 year old boy:

I was raped at 11, by my 17 year old boyfriend. I chose not to tell my parents because I didn’t think their involvement would help, that was the right choice for me. Planned Parethood helped me deal with the aftermath of the rape allowing me to deal and cope as best as I could in my own way. I was 14 when I decided to start having sex, the day I made that choice I made an appointment to get birth control pills. I’m 17 now, I’ve been with my current boyfriend for about two years. During that time i’ve been HIV and STD tested four times. Right now I’m sitting in the waiting room while my boyfriend gets the results for his HIV test. We love each other so we’re responsible and Planned Parenthood helps us to do that.
– name withheld -

Got it? To Planned Parenthood, the young girl in the above story didn’t need protection from her 17 y/o “boyfriend” who raped her, but her parents, who she didn’t want to know. Not surprising, since these types of groups strongly oppose parental consent laws, too.

Preachy ‘progressive’ feministas like Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards make my stomach turn, because when I read things like what she had to say about the hoped-for OTC availability of the “morning after” pill to teens, I recognize right away that ‘women’s rights advocates’ like Richards are not really interested in preventing teens from getting pregnant, and they could care less about promoting sexual responsibility amongst female teens, because if they were they’d promote the very thing that would be a fool-proof way of ensuring teens didn’t get pregnant nor get a STD: abstinence.

Imagine if PP were to change its tune and devote as much time now to promoting abstinence as it has in the past promoting ‘safe sex’ and ‘alternative ways to engage in sexual activity that doesn’t involve the actual act’. We wouldn’t have to worry about that high teen pregnancy rate that Richards mentioned, nor would we have to worry about the decisions a female teen would have to make when they found out they were pregnant (To keep or not to? To tell mom and dad or not to?).

Now, though, Planned Parenthood wants to let teenagers know that if you don’t have safe sex, you should still have access to a pill that you could take in the morning after that would prevent a little – uh – ‘problem’ from developing. Literally.

There’s a reason why Planned Parenthood and other groups like them don’t put a heavy emphasis on abstinence for teens: because they realize that if they set such a high standard for teens, then adult women would have to ‘lead by example’ to show young female teens that it was the ‘cool’ thing to do – and oh no, we cannot have that. Whether you’re a young female teen or an adult woman you should be able to have sex when you want, with who you want, and if you’re not ‘responsible’ for yourself during the act, you should have the option of being ‘responsible’ after the fact.

Now, I do realize that sex ed starts in the home. But we live in an age where so much information is available to teens via sex ed classes at their schools and also via the touch of a keyboard and a view of a computer screen. It is physically impossible for parents to monitor their kids activities 24-7, and because of that, organizations like Planned Parenthood should feel obligated to advocate a strong sense of moral responsibility when it comes to the decision about whether or not a teen should have sex. But, as I explained earlier, it’s not something they’re really interested in. Sex on demand is paramount whether you’re a teen or an adult.

With their push for the “morning after” pill to be available to teens over the counter, Planned Parenthood shouldn’t be able to pull the wool over anyone’s eyes anymore as to what they’re about: not responsibility, but sexual ‘freedom’ without having to worry or even acknowledge the consequences. For teens. Sadly, this is yet one more example of a group of ‘do gooder’ liberal organizations who don’t seek to elevate the standards of responsibility for anyone – teen or adult, but instead lower them so they don’t have to worry about being responsible for their actions. It’s bad enough to promote this type of behavior among adults, but it’s reprehensible to do so with teenagers.

• Globalclashes trackbacked with Arguing for Plan B
  • 14 Responses to “Forget to use protection? No problemo”

Comments

1. sanity says:

I was watching CSI Las Vegas last night, and though it is a TV show, Grisholm brought up an interesting point on determining life.

He pointed out if the “Life” is in the blood, then life does not “begin” until blood begins to flow, and that doesn’t happen until 18 days after conception. If you don’t want to argue this theologically, then scientifically they will have a hard time refuting this. (not and exact quote, but essentially what he said)

I do not know the validity of his statement but if it is true, it does bring an interesting twist to be argued when dealing with determining life…..

2. sanity says:

Underage sex, even if consentual …isn’t that statutory rape?

If Planned Parenthood does not report crimes such as statutory rape to the authorities are they not covering up a crime?

If the parents are responsible for their children in all aspects, shouldn’t they be privy to all medical decisions for their underage child that is not able to sign a contract without parental permission?

Lets go on an extreme limb……

If children don’t need parents permission nor even their knowledge of what they are doing to their bodies or what they sign with Planned Parenthood and such when they receiving their “help”….

Then why the big fuss of military recruiters talking to 18 and under without a parent present?

3. Robert Dudley says:

Why is it either/or. When I went to PP to get my prescription, I was 16, and the nurse definitely suggested I think about postponing it. She wasn’t preachy about it — if she ahd been it wouldn’t have made a difference anyway, it just would have annoyed me — but she did mention it. So, it’s just BS to say that PP doesn’t even mention abstinence: they do.

The real question is whether they should ONLY mention abstinence, which is what I think you want them to do.

4. StephC says:

I couldn’t agree more. Basically, they condoned the rape of the 11 year old girl. Sickening. They also made it sound as if she was oh so responsible by getting tested for STDs and AIDS so many times.

And Sanity, I remember that CSI episode, too.

5. forest hunter says:

I look at it as going beyond abstinence Robert. Especially in todays world w/all the absolute crap on TV, in movies, and in general walkin’ the halls of our schools and streets in every American city, abstinence is a defensive END game.

Now before you get the whole “In my day” speech, where we lost not a single kid to a drunken car wreck or the fact that out of a senior class of nearly 400, only one became pregnant, my point is simply that it required actions to avoid the hazards and we acted. Long before MADD came along we were responsible kids. We didn’t need to be told, because it was a naturally occurring series of events called clean livin’. That’s not to say that kids didn’t drink and or screw around, some did. The majority in the 90% range didn’t.

If we’re on constant defense (Abstinence) there are too many goal line stands. If we have a game plan and are initiating it, we should be on both sides of the fifty.

6. Saint Saens says:

Sexual activity is painfully misunderstood by most people. If one wants to conquer a problem, one should at least have a fundamental understanding of it. Historically speaking, humans have engaged in sexual acitivty right around the age of 14, particularly girls; it is not unlikely, for instance, that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was not much more than 14 given the known facts of the culture of Palestine at the time. Jesus himself would not see anything particularly wrong with a 17 year old male having sex with a 14 girl (they’d need to be married of course) — our bias towards this issue is purely cultural.

Once that is understood, and once it is understood that the biological urge for sexuality ranks slightly behind breathing and eating, then a realistic plan can be embraced. Simplistic panceas like “Abstain” not only solve nothing, they make the sweeping — and in today’s day and age, oftentimes fatal –error of ignoring the genetic engine behind the behavior.

Does this mean that we cannot overcome base urges? Of course not. One of the defining characteristics of human beings is the ability to override our instinctual natures. However, this trait is less applicable as one gets younger in age. A 35 year old man will have disciplines a 3 year old child simply will not have. Given the existence of FATAL disease out there, protection for those who succumb to a base urge is a humane method of dealing with the problem, once you come to terms with the moralizing attitude of those who offer the unproductive panceas.

SaintSaens

7. Drewsmom says:

I was listening to Laura Inghram today I think on her show or it may have been yesterday. Anyway, she said the ultra feminist wanna make this pill available when they get their bookbags, school supplies, ect.
      This is sicknin to me and I bet we see some more increases in medical problems and deaths due to this little pill, but for God’s sake we must have this available to our teens NOW …. give me a friggin break….naral at its best.=d>

8. IOW “Saint Saens”, ‘historically’ young folk just ‘can’t help themselves’ and we ought to just accept it and inform them of ways they can ‘protect’ themselves.

What tripe. You are a fine example of being part of the problem. NOT the solution.

9. Marshall Art says:

You nailed it (pardon the pun) beautifully, ST. The idea that somehow things are so different today that this urge, (“slightly behind breathing and eating”? talk about simplistic!), is beyond one’s ability to overcome is pure crap. Certainly, the sexual ambiance of our society, created, BTW, by moral relativists, doesn’t help. But when parents and teachers and any other adult who really cares about kids keep standards high, as well as expectations for meeting them, kids generally follow suit. In the olden days, pre 1950’s, a guy wouldn’t marry a girl who wasn’t a virgin because promiscuity was contrary to the values of the time. A girl wouldn’t date or marry a guy with a reputation for not respecting women, and trying to jump a chick’s bones was considered disrespectful. Most kids of that era felt the same desires felt by today’s kids, but were stealed by a more virtuous and moral upbringing, as well as the tone to the day. That tone is almost non-existant today, since anti-religious and the “how can it be wrong” crowd were taken seriously. Now, there’s abject denial for accepting blame for the negative effects of their message. Now, too many teen girls would test postive for some kind of STD. They’ll do it anyway? Only because adults have abdicated their roles as moral guides and created an environment that says chastity and self-denial is for chumps. The FDA continues this shameful tradition.

To the CSI bit: “IF” life is in the blood…That’s why we don’t look to Hollywood for the important stuff. Life is in every single cell of our living bodies. You can take all the components that make up a cell or the blood or any other part of the body for that matter, put them together, and it wouldn’t be alive. Life is a state for which explanation is lacking. Up until that 18th day, those cells are living and dividing and trying to get to retirement age. When the blood flows is as subjective a line of demarcation as attachment to the uterine wall. The only line that matters is the wall of the ovum. When it is breached by the sperm, bingo, human being endowed with all the rights we have. Basic biology.

10. sanity says:

ST says:

Interesting. I agree with you ST.

So with that mentality, does that mean we should not do anything about drug abuse, since they just cant seem to help themsleves?

What about Pedophiles? Rapists?
      They can’t seem to help themselves either.

With the dems way of thinking we should just try and make their “addiction” as clean and safe as possible.

Whats next? Dropping the age of consent to 10?
      So statuatory rape doesn’t happen as much? Pedophile statistics are reduced?

Liberalism IS a mental disorder…..

I am beginning to see this increasingly.
      Common sense seems to have left the Liberal portion of the Democrat Party…….

11. Drewsmom says:

Just found out last night that since I am gettin a divorce and I’ll be on mini skid row, my son may qualify for a schalorship to a private Christian school, thank the LORD, he wants to go to that school badly and I had to tell him, no way, Mom can’t afford it. Please say a little prayer for me that he gets to attend.
      He is going with a big group of Christian kids to Panama City Beach, Fl. over Labor Day and I am so glad he has good influences in his 15 year old life.
      Kids now have so many bad influences and bad role models I am just so greatful he is turning towards church.
      Have a great week-end everyone. !!!! :))

12. Marshall Art says:

May God bless you, Drewsmom, and your son, who I’m guessing is named Drew (I deduced that myself). So nice to see when kids WANT to attend such a school. I have friend who’s son loves the Catholic school he attends.

Amen to that Drew’s Mom. It is a good thing that he is turning to the Church. There are alot of bad things out there, but he can find strength there. Alot of Churches have been working on their youth programs too. That will help him greatly. – Lorica