Tropical Storm Ernesto update

Posted by: ST on August 31, 2006 at 6:42 pm

(Yes, I managed to get the type of storm right this time ;) )

Here’s what things are looking like in North Carolina right now:

Raleigh Doppler radar - Ernesto

The coast and the Raleigh area are getting slammed with rain. It’s overcast here where I am, drizzling some, and it’s a bit windier than normal but otherwise nothing major. TS Ernesto is right now moving NNE at 70MPH (Correction: scratch that: the winds were 70 MPH but it was moving much slower – around 20 MPH. I think we’ve established that I’ll never have a chance in hell of working at the Weather Channel!).

To my friends on the coast and on inland into Raleigh and New Bern: hang in there!

By the way, here is a cool new feature on the Weather Channel website for tracking hurricanes. Or at least it’s new to me, anyway.

Update 7:36 PM: It’s not just drizzling anymore here – we’re getting some pretty heavy rains. The winds are still mild, though.

Update 10:57 PM: All is quiet here. Just drizzling now, almost no wind. Time for bed.

• Skilletfan-My first blog trackbacked with Ernesto gone...at least from Florida
  • 11 Responses to “Tropical Storm Ernesto update”

Comments

1. NC Cop says:

Hang on to something S.T.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!!!

2. How are you doin’, NC?

3. NC Cop says:

I’m doing pretty good. Had a bad day in therapy, just feeling a little down. Hopefully it will get better next week.

4. hth says:

Re: “TS Ernesto is right now moving NNE at 70MPH.”

REALLY? “Moving” at a “ground speed” velocity of 70 mph? Are you sure?

Seventy is the last internal velocity I heard, but with a probability for it to increase to 74-75. That’s internal, not actual ground (water) speed movement.

5. Ugh. I just issued a correction in my post. Looks like I got that one messed up too. I should have called it a day early on! b-(

6. labwrs says:

God Bless and stay safe ST!
      It looks like any minute now it hits the NC coast so I am sure all our thoughts and prayers are with you! If nothing else you are going to get a lot of rain and wind! Good luck and everyone say a prayer for the good people affected over there! Times like this I am grateful for landlocked Atlanta :):d

7. Baklava says:

You might double triple their ratings! :d

8. camojack says:

Not that anyone cares, but I called a mere rainstorm…and so it is. b-)

9. Seth says:

The other night’s thunderstorm activity was awesome, I love a good storm. However, there was a brief power spike where I live, which more than justified the battery back-up/surge suppressors I have all my electronic devices plugged into; All I get is a loud “beep” and the power continues uninterrupted.

ST — I might suggest that battery backups (a “middle-man” type device between the wall outlets and the components) are an excellent investment in our neck of the woods, or anyplace where they have such great thunderstorms.

10. Dana says:

Our beautiful blogmistress wrote:

No, Sis, that is absolutely untrue! The women on the Weather Channel are hired for their looks, which means you have a great chance!