Bush: “That One’s Not A Fan”

Posted by: Brian on November 3, 2006 at 10:34 am

That, to me, is the money quote of this article:

A school bus driver fired after she allegedly made an obscene gesture at President Bush has filed a union grievance in an attempt to get her job back.

The 43-year-old driver, whose name was not released, was driving middle school children back to school after a zoo visit on June 16 when the president and Republican Rep. Dave Reichert drove slowly by in a motorcade.

From the bus, the children waved; with the windows down in their car, Bush and Reichert waved back.

That’s when the driver gave the president the finger, according to Reichert and Issaquah superintendent Janet Barry.

“The congressman hadn’t seen it, but the president turned to him and said, ‘That one’s not a fan,'” said Reichert spokeswoman Kimberly Cadena.

First, I’ll admit…I laughed out loud when I read what the President said. I mean, you gotta admire a guy who can just shrug that kind of stuff off. :)

But, on to the real issue here, and that’s this bus driver. I don’t care who she flipped off, she deserves to lose her job. Whether she flipped off a careless driver, some no-name jerk on the side of the road, or even the Pope, there were kids on that bus, and I know that if she were driving MY kids to school, I’d be pretty mad about it. What an example to set, eh?

Brian runs the website Iowa Voice, and is filling in for ST for a few days.

12 Responses to “Bush: “That One’s Not A Fan””

Comments

1. sanity says:

She will get her job back.

Guaranteee you the first thing out of their mouths will be that she got fired for expressing her freedom of speech.

BUT…

If there is something in her contract with the schools that states how she should conduct herself while driving the school bus, what is and isn’t appropriate actions, then I don’t think she has much of a leg to stand on if she violated the terms of her employment.

She is union, so I can bet that she will get her job back.

I am not sure she shouldn’t to tell you the truth.

Was her actions so severe to warrant outright firing and not a warning or a write-up?

Yes, I can imagine it was embarassing for the school that this bus driver did what she did as a school representative, but does it rise to the level of immediate termination though is my question.

I think they may have over-reacted on this one, in my opinion.

2. Kevin says:

Hah! There are a number of things not to like about Bush, but his demeanor isn’t one of them. Can’t you see him grinning as he said that? :)

3. Karl says:

This is turning into huge mess here locally. My daughter attends that school, and I plan on blogging this along with her blog about it. yes My 16 year old is a blogger too.

Let me know if you want the cross link to it.

4. gahrie says:

I believe she should be suspended, but not fired. She screwed up, but didn’t endanger the kids in any way. Firing her would be an over reaction in my opinion, unless she has a pattern of misbehavior.

(P.S…I bet Pres. Bush wouldn’t want her fired either)

5. Karl says:

If what she did was against the policy of the district, do they have a right to fire her for violation of that policy?

By the way the district claims this was not an isolated incident and that was part of their decision.

6. gahrie says:

OMG…Kos must have linked the article…go read the comments…the moonbats are out in force.

7. - sanity … It’s a bit ironic that the party of the G_dless work so hard in “getting religion” out of every aspect of society, but have no problem inserting their own rabid personal political beliefs into every social setting.

– I think it’s pretty safe to say that no Parent wants people who would be so seriously confused about their own personal issues, and lack of control, that they would be driven to display blatent gutter gestures in front of a busload of kids. there’s got to be lines that aren’t crossed, rules we all follow in the interest of the common rule of polite society, or we’ll find ourselves sinking in a cess pool of anarchy. The SecProggs think they can do anything, anytime, in public, under the banner of “freedom of speech”. They need to be constantly reminded that personal freedoms, when they threaten the peace, are over that line. The Constitution is not a get out of jail card for uncivil activism.

– Bang **==

8. Brian says:

No, that’s probably me. I seem to bring out the crazies whenever I post.

This time, it’s coming in from Salon.com. I’ve been linked by them before, and it brings out the liberals in force. =D

I think I’m gonna be busy with the comment moderation today. lol

9. It seems that you should be able to fire somebody in a position of that much responsibility if they demonstrate poor judgement.

I wouldn’t want my kids riding around with somebody who doesn’t have the mental capacity to think clearly and act like an adult when faced with a situation they may not like.

In this case, what is the difference between having a paid professional vs just letting one of the kids drive?

10. Jeanette says:

Let me put the freedom of speech argument to rest. I used to be a union officer (the only conservative and only Republican on our executive board). One of the first things taught in Leadership School for union officers is there is no freedom of speech in the workplace. You do what the company tells you to do and you have no freedom of speech to protect you from being stupid.