Guess it’s time for me to start doing those dishes

Posted by: ST on December 29, 2006 at 5:05 pm

The BBC is reporting that a new study suggests that women who do a ‘moderate’ amount of housework are cutting the risk of getting breast cancer:

Women who exercise by doing the housework can reduce their risk of breast cancer, a study suggests.

The research on more than 200,000 women from nine European countries found doing household chores was far more cancer protective than playing sport.

Dusting, mopping and vacuuming was also better than having a physical job.

The women in the Cancer Research UK-funded study spent an average of 16 to 17 hours a week cooking, cleaning and doing the washing.

Experts have long known that physical exercise can reduce the risk of breast cancer, probably through hormonal and metabolic changes.

But it has been less clear how much and what types of exercise are necessary for this risk reduction.

And much of past work has examined the link between exercise and breast cancer in post-menopausal women only.

The latest study looked at both pre- and post-menopausal women and a range of activities, including work, leisure and housework.

All forms of physical activity combined reduced the breast cancer risk in post-menopausal women, but had no obvious effect in pre-menopausal women.

Chores protected

Out of all of the activities, only housework significantly reduced the risk of both pre- and post-menopausal women getting the disease.

Housework cut breast cancer risk by 30% among the pre-menopausal women and 20% among the post-menopausal women.

The women were studied over an average of 6.4 years, during which time there were 3,423 cases of breast cancer.

The international authors said their results suggested that moderate forms of physical activity, such as housework, may be more important than less frequent but more intense recreational physical activity in reducing breast cancer risk.

First thing tomorrow I’m going to buy a broom (the only one I currently have is used strictly for transportation).

7 Responses to “Guess it’s time for me to start doing those dishes”

Comments

1. benning says:

I vacuumed the carpet, did the laundry, and washed the dishes yesterday. *whew!* No cancer for me!

By the way, Camojack was a visitor at Casa Benning yesterday! We had a good time – well, I did! LOL

2. Sylvia says:

Is the lower incidence of cancer a result of doing housework, or is it from living in a more pleasant house and eating off clean dishes and feeling more comfortable in a tidy home?

3. Severian says:

I tried to use this on my wife today…with predictable results. :d My my, I am good at vacuuming…

4. Mwalimu Daudi says:

Obviously the BBC is a pawn of Bush/Cheney/Halliburton. This is just a plot to enslave women, outlaw abortion, steal the 2006 elections, oppose the draft, create a right-wing Christianist theocracy run by Mark Foley and Ken Lay, and cover up the effects the War on Terror has had on global warming. Not to mention the long-time neocon plot to flouridate water.

Impeach Bush/Cheney/Halliburton Now!

/end_howarddean

5. Steve Skubinna says:

Somehow I have ended up with three brooms, one push and two corn brooms. And the only thing I use any of them for is to sweep out the garage. I periodically, while at Wally World or someplace similar, recall that the garage floor is accumulating dirt so I buy a broom, get home, and see that I already have one. Or two. So while I have never worried about breast cancer myself, maybe somebody should do a study on the causes of absentmindedness – I’ll wear a ribbon for that one. Well, I’d intend to and forget it probably.

Anyway, none of them are riding models (so far as I know – but how would I?). You can have one if you like – what’s the shipping cost from WA to NC?

6. Dana says:

From the title of this thread, I somehow had the mental image of our wonderful hostess living in her new townhouse, with the dishes stacked to overflowing in the sink; surely I was wrong! :d

Ahh, well, you know what they say about the dishes: what’s the use washing them, ’cause three weeks later you have to do it all over again!

7. Big Bang Hunter says:

From my sweetie:

“honey, do the dishes, or you’ll be caring about my breasts from the living room couch tonight.”

– My advice. Don’t ever try to run a scam on your better half. Their brains are wired with long range BS sensors they use to see it coming from synchronous orbit.

– Bang **==