26 years ago today …

Posted by: ST on January 20, 2007 at 12:06 am

I need to take a break this evening from blogging about she-whose-name-doesn’t-deserve-to-be-mentioned-in-this-post to make note of the fact that 26 years ago today President Reagan was inaugurated to his first term.

Here’s his inaugural address. Some highlights:

On the eve of our struggle for independence a man who might have been one of the greatest among the Founding Fathers, Dr. Joseph Warren, president of the Massachusetts Congress, said to his fellow Americans, “Our country is in danger, but not to be despaired of . . . On you depend the fortunes of America. You are to decide the important questions upon which rests the happiness and the liberty of millions yet unborn. Act worthy of yourselves.” Well, I believe we, the Americans of today, are ready to act worthy of ourselves, ready to do what must be done to ensure happiness and liberty for ourselves, our children, and our children’s children. And as we renew ourselves here in our own land, we will be seen as having greater strength throughout the world. We will again be the exemplar of freedom and a beacon of hope for those who do not now have freedom.

To those neighbors and allies who share our freedom, we will strengthen our historic ties and assure them of our support and firm commitment. We will match loyalty with loyalty. We will strive for mutually beneficial relations. We will not use our friendship to impose on their sovereignty, for our own sovereignty is not for sale. As for the enemies of freedom, those who are potential adversaries, they will be reminded that peace is the highest aspiration of the American people. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it; we will not surrender for it, now or ever.

Our forbearance should never be misunderstood. Our reluctance for conflict should not be misjudged as a failure of will. When action is required to preserve our national security, we will act. We will maintain sufficient strength to prevail if need be, knowing that if we do so we have the best chance of never having to use that strength. Above all, we must realize that no arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today’s world do not have. It is a weapon that we as Americans do have. Let that be understood by those who practice terrorism and prey upon their neighbors. I’m told that tens of thousands of prayer meetings are being held on this day, and for that I’m deeply grateful. We are a nation under God, and I believe God intended for us to be free. It would be fitting and good, I think, if on each Inaugural Day in future years it should be declared a day of prayer.

He did so many good things, gave so many great speeches, and made Americans feel proud to be an American. One of the greatest speeches, IMO, that he ever gave was what’s been nicknamed the “Rendezvous with Destiny” speech in support of Barry Goldwater for president on October 27, 1964. The clip below is about four and a half minutes long, and well worth listening to, as it carries so many messages that are incredibly relevant today – perhaps even more so than they were then:

Got chillbumps after watching and listening to that? So do I.

Reagan was a great man, a great leader, and great American. We miss your optimism and strength, Mr. President, now more than ever.

Here's to you, Mr. President

Prior:

11 Responses to “26 years ago today …”

Comments

1. Kevin says:

What an amazingly timely description of the liberals today!

2. Rodney A Stanton says:

I was a Democrat (conservative) when I watched that speech. I voted for Barry. In 1964 It was called “The Speech” and out West I have always heard it refered to as such. It seems in the East it has a different title.
    I voted for Ronnie many times and never once regreted it. I still had not left the Party until Ronnie’s 1980 election. In 1976 I voted for a Bush type “conservative” who as candidate promised to: Cut the government in half while President (his plan was entitiled “Zero Based Budgeting”). and 2. Because he had cut the government in half we would do away with the Tax Code and all fill out a 3 line form for our taxes with all of us paying the same rate – 12%!
    Nedless to say just like the 2 Bushes once in office he forgot his promises and governed like a liberal. I still regret voting for the son of a peanut broker. I was tricked by a bogus conservative. It is no wonder that Ronnie won by a record setting landslide – winning 49 states. There were a lot of conservatives who fell for Carter’s lies. Most, unlike me, will not admit it and say they did not vote for him in 76. But if all these folk had voted in 76 as they say in ’06 Carter would have lost not won.
    We need another man who says what he means and menas what he says. But that was what made Ronnie different, very different, and special.

3. Great White Rat says:

Amen, Sis. He was the greatest American president of the 20th century. I still miss him.

4. benning says:

Rodney: I voted for the Peanut Farmer, thinking that a Republican President would have to fight an overwhelmingly Democrat Congress, and thus would be powerless. I still consider my vote, then, to be pretty well-reasoned. It was also foolish. Carter was a weak-kneed fool. And we all suffered from his timidity and “malaise”.

ST, I wonder where the Reagan of today is. I still think Fred Thompson, of Tennessee, to be a better choice than any presented to us, yet. But I doubt he’s even been approached. And he has never seemed the type of politician to seek such a high elected office without someone asking him to think about it. I hope someone does. And soon.

5. Severian says:

I saw Carter at a speech/event on my college campus back then when he was just starting to campaign. It was immediately obvious to me that he was a complete loser. I asked him a question regarding defense spending and modernization, and his weasel worded response made me immediately aware that he was going to gut the military, and his other answers and responses didn’t particularly impress me either.

6. geezer says:

I still look at my right hand and think: “You’ve done good, you’ve done bad, but you’ve never done better than shake that man’s hand.” This, thanks to RR’s visit to the B-2 compound at Edwards AFB in ’89; talk about GIs in love with their former C-in-C!

Dubya’s going to get his share of the same after he’s gone, make no mistake.

7. Kevin says:

Also, congrats ST for being 26 yrs old today!

;)

8. Severian says:

Well, Happy B’Day ST!

9. LOL – I’m a little older than 26 this weekend, but thanks, guys ;)

/Gasp OMG IT IS YOUR BIRTHDAY???? YAY!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR!!!! :x:x:x:d:d<:-p<:-p<:-p

/Sings just like Sinatra:
    Happieeee Birthday To You, Happieeee Birthday to you. Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday Happieeee Birthdayyyy to Youuuuuuu.
    Hope you get some tonight, Hope you get some tonight. Hope you get some, hope you get some, get some Birthday cake tonighttttttt!!!! YAY!!!! – Lorica

11. Kevin says:

Hehe, sorry, was just joking around :)