Monday open thread

Posted by: ST on January 29, 2007 at 7:58 pm

Been a long, long day. Is it Friday yet?

Caption: A Pacific Ocean sunset is seen from Silver Strand State Beach on Coronado island in San Diego on Friday, Jan. 19, 2007.
(AP Photo/Dr. Scott M. Lieberman)

10 Responses to “Monday open thread”

Comments

1. Steve Skubinna says:

Whoa, that’s where I am presently! Getting loaded up with schools prior to going… dunno where.

There’s a restaurant on the boardwalk in Pacific Beach (a bit north of where this photo was taken) called “The Green Flash.” It has spectacular views of sunsets just like this one. Invariably, whenever the sun sets, patrons start applauding.

Californians.

2. That’s a beautiful area you live in, then, Steve! Just gorgeous.

It lacks corn stalks to be really truly beautiful. =)) – Lorica

4. sanity says:

Lorica’s Children of the Corn =))

5. Steve Skubinna says:

No, I don’t live in SOCAL, I live in Washington. I’m just chillin’ down here. Hangin’ out. Wearing my totally cool shades and lounging, practicing my best surly, too-hip-for-the-room youthful rebellion sneer (doesn’t work as well at 50 as it did at 18). Being ironic (the intellectually lazy person’s substitute for wit).

And besides, up in Washington we have far superior sunsets to sounthern Cal. And a much superior category of citizens to watch them. But when my employer sends me to schools, they always turn out to be down here.

6. Mwalimu Daudi says:

Chris Hedges, Senior Fellow at The Nation Institute, former reporter for the New York Times and NPR calls for the suppression of freedom of speech of the “radical Christian Right” (you may need to scroll down to find it).

Perhaps we Christians should just sew large crosses on our clothes to make it easier for the authorities to identify us. Heckfire – in the name of Tolerance it may become necessary to eventually move us into ghettos.

The MSM continue its uninterrupted descent into fascism.

7. Marshall Art says:

Wow, Mwalimu. I can never understand what Christians guys like Hedges are listening to. I’m don’t watch Pat Robertson “religiously”, but I never hear anything close to terms like “eradicate” when he speaks of sinful practices such as homosexuality. There are very few Fred Phelps-like character that they should ever be held up as typical of fundamental Christians. Can you say “fascist”?

8. PCD says:

Steve,

I don’t know about the difference in WA State sunsets to SoCal’s, but having lived in Anaheim, I’d have to say compared to Seattle, some of SoCal is more sane.

BTW, I hate what they did to Anaheim. I’m glad I moved away and didn’t have to take the pain of the I-5 reconstruction.

Steve, while you are down there, how about a pic of the Bonzai charges of Illegals crashing the checkpoint in San Ysidro (South of San Diego)? A pic or two might stir up the ignorant.

9. Steve Skubinna says:

Isn’t Anaheim in Orange County? Well, yeah, then, it’s more sane there than most of Seattle. And for that matter, so is San Diego. The biggest problem with California is that it’s full of Californians, who can’t wait for their mommy government to finish swaddling them all in bubble wrap and take away all those nasty hard decisions other people make in their lives all the time.

A state legislator is actually going to introduce a bill making it a felony, with a prison term of five years, to spank your kid. I suppose people can disagree whether spanking is an effective disciplinary tool, but only a ninny (by which I mean interfering lefty busybody fascist) would criminalize it. One characteristic of a totalitarian state is that everything not prohibited is compulsory.

I expect the state, to massive popular acclaim, to shortly confiscate all children on the grounds that nobody cares for them as much as it does.

Anyway, one of the training sessions I had was firearms requalification. Among the weapons I had to shoot was the M14. I got a kick out of shooting a rifle “citizens” of this state are forbidden to own.

10. Scott Lieberman, MD says:

I just thought it was a nice Sunset. We don’t have oceans in Texas, so I didn’t want to miss that one!