Immigration bill

Posted by: ST on June 7, 2007 at 9:49 pm

DOA.

Fri AM Update: Memeorandum has tons of links from bloggers and news outlets on what happened last night, how the bill was killed, etc.

I’m in the middle of composing a post-”bill kill” post which will likely be posted tonight time-permitting or sometime this weekend. It’s gonna take me a while, because I’ve got a lot on my mind about it, some of which is not going to make either side of the debate happy.

I mostly stayed out of it, because emotions were running high, and I didn’t want to write something totally based on emotion, but now that the bill is dead (which I knew it would be eventually) – for now – and some of the emotionalism is subsiding, it’s time to put my thoughts together and write about them.

9 Responses to “Immigration bill”

Comments

1. steveegg says:

I wouldn’t quite call it DOA, but it definitely isn’t leading much right now. The bad news is that this Congress isn’t out of power yet, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be tucked into the budget.

2. Mwalimu Daudi says:

Related to the amnesty bill:

Feds to suspend border passport rule.

Aside from the injustice of granting amnesty to illegals, the enforcement questions in the bill are terrifying to contemplate. Take the above linked article as Exhibit A. Passports for US citizens are pretty basic – we live in a country with computerized public records and the finest communication system in the world. And yet the State Department cannot deliver this simple service to American citizens in a competent and timely fashion.

In the case of amnesty for illegals, you have the problem of dealing with corrupt foreign governments and their “law enforcement” agencies when you try to do background checks. Worse still is the fact that some illegals will lie to cover up criminal activity (both here and in their home countries). Finally, add the fact that USCIS cannot properly process the current load of immigration applicants who have followed the legal path, and the bill becomes a recipe for total disaster.

3. mahwah says:

Yes, DOA, but not before Presidential hopeful Sen John McCain showed his true colors and voted with the Democrats to allow convicted felons here illegally to have the same ‘path’ to citizenship as the ‘law abiding’ illegals. :-w

And yes, I know that ‘law abiding illegals’ is an oxymoron…8-|

4. camojack says:

DOA? I certainly hope so… [-(

5. It’s a start but as 3E’s and 2G’s said:

…I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be tucked into the budget.

MD: If we were to run a business the way the incompetent crews are handling gummint biz, ie Passports, I don’t think we’d survive a second quarterly report. Then again if we had the panhandling rights as they have it wouldn’t matter if we actually fulfilled our obligation. Obligations are clearly not a prerequisite for job performance.

6. Drewsmom says:

We all know who is for what now, so let’s go out and vote these moorons out and vote the good guy’s in — we can do this if we just listen to what the clowns are saying and watch how they vote, I know I do.[-(

7. Tango says:

You’ll recall, mistress, that I suggested to you a couple of weeks back this bill wouldn’t make it, given the weak Dem leadership. -Tango, doin’ the happy dance :d

I couldn’t be happier, it is bad enough that most of our manufacturing work is sent overseas, now they want to take what little low skilled labor we have left?? I am sorry, but I go back to what I have been saying all along. Secure the borders, the illegal problem will take care of itself, as long as we follow the present laws on the books. It is the simpliest way to deal with this problem. – Lorica

9. Beth says:

You and me both, Sis.
    There are good and bad things about this bill going down. (Bad, because of how it got to defeat.)