Cowboys at the Panthers (Weekend open thread) (UPDATE: PANTHERS LOSE 20-13)

Posted by: ST on June 22, 2007 at 11:17 am
.!.

Let the trash talkin’ begin! \:d/

Game time is 8:15 pm ET. The Panthers are trying to keep their longshot playoff hopes alive, while the Cowboys are trying to hold on to home field advantage, and are hoping to recover from last week’s embarassing loss to the Eagles:

Despite its struggles over the last two games, Dallas has already clinched a first-round bye and is tied with Green Bay for the best record in the NFC. The Cowboys own the tiebreaker after beating the Packers 37-27 on Nov. 29, so a win and a Green Bay loss in Chicago this weekend will ensure Dallas home-field advantage throughout the postseason.

“We’re very fortunate to lose a game and get a first-round bye and still have an opportunity to have home-field advantage. We’ve just got to win out,” [Receiver Terrell] Owens said.

The Dallas defense will be without one of their star players:

The Cowboys, though, need to get their offense going, while the defense will be without safety Roy Williams, who was suspended one game after his third illegal “horse collar” tackle of the season and fourth in two seasons last week. Williams appealed the decision, but the league upheld the ban Wednesday.

Williams leads the team with 65 solo tackles and is second in total tackles with 83.

Carolina’s defense may be without one of their own star players, Julius Peppers, who is listed as “doubtful” for tonight’s game (sprained ankle). My prediction is that he definitely won’t play, as he hasn’t practiced all week. Not that he has been putting up fantasy numbers this year anyway, but still, he’s a strong motivator for the Carolina defense, so his absence will most assuredly be felt tonight.

I participated in a football pool this week, and out of the eleven total who signed up for it, only one picked the Panthers in an upset. It wasn’t me. I’ve heard the jokes about the Cowboys being “cowgirls” but the only time they seem to act like cowgirls is when they have a famous one cheering their QB on in the stands. <):) Keep in mind that I say that as someone who used to be a big Dallas fan when I was very young, back in the days when Landry was the coach and Roger Staubach was QB. Those were the days … sigh.

Hey, want to try and distract Tony Romo at tonight’s game, Panthers fans? The National Ledger reports that a website has been created to help do just that. The local media have been all over it. Download your Jessica Simpson mask here! :D

In an interesting twist, Matt Moore, who originally wanted to be a Cowboys QB but was denied, will be starting tonight. Will revenge be in the cards?

Dallas CowboysThe game is being broadcast on the NFL network, which a lot of people don’t get, but you should be able to watch it here. I suspect a local network here will be showing the game, too (most likely WBTV). I won’t be around for a good part of the game, but will try and check in before it’s over. Of course, it may be over before it really gets started good :-ss

Also, please utilize this as an open thread for this weekend, although non-football fans be warned: this thread will likely be taken over tonight for a few hours by Cowboys and Packers fans, with the Packers fans hoping for a Dallas loss, which would take the Packers one step closer to home field advantage. That GB/Chicago game, BTW, will be played in Chicago, at 1 pm ET tomorrow.

Update: The Panthers lost to the Cowboys 20-13, with some help from the officials in the 4th quarter. I coulda called the dang game better than they did! Don’t any of the striped shirts know what pass interference looks like??

15 Responses to “Cowboys at the Panthers (Weekend open thread) (UPDATE: PANTHERS LOSE 20-13)”

Comments

1. CZ says:

Don’t know if I can stomach watching another Dallas Cowboy game after last weekend. FOX they spent more time broadcasting Jessica Simpson in a skybox than game action replays. Tony Romo, Tony Romo, Tony Romo, Tony Romo, Tony Romo, Tony Romo, Tony Romo.

Buck and Aikman were determined to crown his a** before even winning a playoff game. He’s good alright but please, let’s call the game. I hate the Cowboys, always did. Now we have to deal with Hollywood celebrity tramps on top of it. One and out. I hope.

2. Tango says:

The cowgirls *can* get into trouble on the road – and this would seem to be the only real ace da Panters have in this match up. GO PANTERS!! :d:d

3. NC Cop says:

Tried to get tickets for tonight’s game. The last two Panthers home games against San Fran and Seattle, I attended and the Panthers won! Unfortunately I couldn’t get tickets for tonight so the Panthers are on their own.

Go Panthers!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. I’m praying for a victory tonight, NC [-o<

5. steveegg says:

That’s not a good sign. Hopefully Jessica got those tix.

I am praying with you Dear. May the Lord Our God go before the Panthers. May the Cats take the field like Joshua before the enemies of the Lord, and may the enemies of the Lord never score a touch down. =)) Not that the Cowboys are the enemies of the Lord, ohhh heck who am I kidding they are the anti-christ. =)) – Lorica

7. Mwalimu Daudi says:

The Cowboys-Kittens game is on the NFL Network, so I will not see it. Mark my words – the NFL will be mostly pay-per-view within a decade with only a handful of games broadcast as “teasers”.

I will be out of contact for most of the evening, so the anti-Cowboy infidels infesting this thread can have fun mocking me behind my (electronic) back without having to suffer my righteous, witty, and intelligent smackdowns.

Prepare to witness the transformation of the Kittens into road pizza tonight!

8. Interception! Woohoo! \:d/

9. Pass interference! Cheaters! x(

10. The officiating in this game freaking stinks!

11. dawnsblood says:

The panthers did better then I hoped, They beat the spread with a QB on only his second NFL start. That said, NFL.com suxs.

12. Great White Rat says:

HA! And I say again, ha!

Now that the game’s over, I can comment without using the same descriptors for ST, NC Cop, Lorica, et al that I’d normally reserve for, say, Ooogo Chavez. :o

When you talk politics, the economy, or any of a hundred topics, you’re all intelligent, lucid, thinkers. So how can you be so misguided about the important things in life, like football??? :d

=)) Ohhhh GWR we are still all of those good things you say about us. We just don’t like those pompus mini queens that are the Dallas Cowboys. Also, lets face it guys, I am a suck up to a pretty face, so I am just hoping the Cats win, so she will be happy. =)) – Lorica

14. Smitty says:

Cowboys rule:-)) Just think Panther fans. You should be coming to Big D for the next few years as we have had to beat you the last two in Charlotte:-))

The game shouldn’t have been so close. We had more than TWICE the number of first downs, almost twice the time of possession (39 minutes to 21), and almost twice as many yards. This should have been a 3 touchdown margin.

It is nice to know that my Boys knocked the Panthers out of the playoffs and guaranteed them a losing season. Better yet, it seems that Fox will be back as their coach, thus guaranteeing the Panthers to once again have one of the most boring and predictable offenses in the entire league:-))

15. Great White Rat says:

Changing the topic a little…take a look at what’s happening in Baghdad:

Sunni, Shia March Together in Baghdad for Peace

Bbbbut I thought this was a “civil war”!! When’s the last time you saw the combatants in a “civil war” marching side by side for a united peace? :o

Contrast this with the “peace marches” the leftists organize in this country, which have nothing to do with peace, but with hating America and cheerleading for AQ. The march in Baghdad may be the first peace march that has as its objective….peace.

So you know how much coverage of this we’ll see in the MSM… :-w