1st graders at elementary school in Louisiana get an on-campus lesson in lynching

Posted by: ST on September 30, 2007 at 8:30 pm

Check out this appalling story, via the Monroe, Louisiana News Star:

A recent incident at the elementary school on the Grambling State University campus that resulted in a noose hanging around a small child’s neck has left university officials scrambling for answers.

Grambling State University President Horace Judson was driving to Dallas on Friday afternoon for the Saturday football game between GSU and Prairie View when his secretary called him, describing certain pictures that had been posted online by the student newspaper, The Gramblinite.

Among the photos immediately ordered taken down by Judson was one of a young girl in a school uniform, a noose around her neck, being hoisted by a woman who may have been a family member.

In the photo, the girl, a student at Alma J. Brown Elementary School at Grambling, appears confused and frightened. GSU oversees the school. The child apparently was taking part in a school lesson related to events surrounding the Jena Six, criminal defendants in that Louisiana town who stand accused of beating a fellow student into unconsciousness. Their arrests on adult charges have spawned organized protests by black leaders and national attention.

“At this point I’m starting a full investigation into what happened” Judson said in a phone interview from his car while en route to Dallas. “I will meet with all the people involved at 8 o’clock Monday morning.”

The Gramblinite staff leaders could not be reached for comment on the incident.

According to an article in the newspaper written by Justin LaGrande, posted on the student newspaper Web site some time this week, and sent to The News-Star by Ruston Daily Leader publisher Rick Hohlt, “kindergarten and first-grade students at Alma J. Brown Elementary will always remember the day they marched for equality. The children marched in protest of the imprisonment of Mychal Bell, and the seemingly racial bias shown toward blacks in a small Louisiana town.”

LaGrande wrote that while the students “marched” they actually only circled their playground with their teachers during the event.

“Before marching, the students were taught about racism” LeGrande wrote. “They also learned about the events surrounding the ‘Jena Six’ and their arrest.”

According to the article, teachers “had a replica noose and explained why it is such a symbol of racism. They also allowed the children to carry chains and shackles.”

Are these people out of their freaking minds?

Sweetness and Light has some photos from the “lesson in racism.”

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Trackbacks

• Leaning Straight Up trackbacked with 1st Grade Students learn about lynching - by example
  • 3 Responses to “1st graders at elementary school in Louisiana get an on-campus lesson in lynching”

Comments

1. Banjo says:

Will African-Americans ever awaken from victimhood? Blaming others for their problems dooms them to generation after generation of illegitimacy, crime and poverty. Rather than helping, government only makes the problems worse.

2. Dr. D says:

Grambling State Univ. is a very poor excuse for an educational institution. It is what is called an HBCU, a Historically Black College or University, and this is to say that it has always been a sub-par institution. The only claim to fame for Grambling has been that it consistently has a fine football team and a fantastic marching band. Otherwise, a Grambling education is just a waste of time. It is a happy way to while away several years in a non-competitive environment with no pressure to learn because none of the other students are going to be pushing to learn either.

I say this as a former engineering faculty member from Louisiana Tech located in nearby Ruston, LA, and having had some contact with Grambling. Additionally, my daughter, who is an engineer, worked with a Grambling graduate who claimed to have an engineering degree; he could not even do the work of a draftsman. He was eventually fired after the firm made extensive efforts to bring him along.

This is a further instance of propagating the sense of victimhood, rather than learning how to achieve success. In today’s PC-society, this is thought to be a better way to advance than by honest effort and actual achievement. This is certainly what Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are telling black folks. It is a false teaching, but unfortunately it is being widely heard.