Offensive in Lehigh Valley, PA: There’s no pork chops in baseball!

Posted by: ST on December 4, 2007 at 12:17 pm

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports today that the Lehigh Valley IronPigs decided to change the name of their mascot to something less ‘offensive’ due to outrage over the nickname “PorkChop” by a Hispanic group:

Just two days after naming its mascot “PorkChop,” the Philadelphia Phillies’ new minor league franchise dropped the nickname after getting complaints from Hispanics that it was offensive.

The Lehigh Valley IronPigs – whose mascot is a giant, fuzzy pig – had chosen PorkChop from more than 7,000 fan entries. The team announced Monday that the mascot will now be dubbed “Ferrous.”

General Manager Kurt Landes said he heard from several Hispanics who said PorkChop was derogatory.

“We were really unaware of any negative connotations with the word ‘pork chop,”‘ he said. “If it offended a few, it’s a few too many.”

Guillermo Lopez, vice president of the Latino Leadership Alliance, said he was called “pork chop” when he worked at Bethlehem Steel decades ago.

“If my parents were alive, they’d be having fits,” said Lopez, among those who complained to the team. “It meant much more to them than it does to Puerto Ricans now in the Lehigh Valley.”

The IronPig’s new nickname – Ferrous – comes from the Latin word “ferrum,” which means relating to or containing iron. Ferrous was the most popular submission in the “Name the Mascot” competition. The name received 235 of the 7,345 suggestions.

Blogger Grande Pescados had this to say in response to the alleged derogatory nature of the term “pork chop,” as well as to the complaints from Lopez:

Now, I’ve been called and know lots of deragatory terms for Hispanics – wetback, fence jumper, border hopper, greaser, beaner, Lupe – but never in my life have I been called a ‘pork chop’ and I know quite a few people that are walking Wikipedias when it comes to racist terminology (in high school it was sort of a pass time to rip on each other’s ethnicity during lunch, baseball games, etc – for coming from a small town I would say we were a rather tolerant and open group when it came to shredding each other racially). Pork chop doesn’t even make any [edited - ST] sense.

[...]

People like Guillermo Lopez make me sick as an American with a Hispanic mother and as a man. Rather than take up causes that would truly make a difference he decides to get into a bitchy little slap fight over the name of a Triple AAA baseball team. I guess all the real issues Americans if Hispanic descent have been solved if this is the only issue Lopez can gin up to justify his paycheck.

WFMZ reports that Ferrous is an unoriginal name for the IronPigs mascot, as he shares his name with a minor league mascot in Maryland. The team name? The Aberdeen IronBirds.

Poor thing just can’t catch a break.

Hang in there, PorkChop, er, Ferrous, er –
whatever your name is! :D

Photo courtesy: Bill Adams/The Easton Express-Times

17 Responses to “Offensive in Lehigh Valley, PA: There’s no pork chops in baseball!”

Comments

1. kevin says:

I thought Pork Chop refered to someone slightly overweight? Maybe Mr.Lopez was a “porker”?:-?

2. Ryan says:

We’re getting to the point where teams will have no names because at some point, I’m sure someone out there has been called pretty much everything in the book.

Now, I wonder if this group will call on pork chops themselves to have a name change?

3. Kareling says:

I had no idea “pork chop” was even derogatory to Hispanics until this story came along. What about the pork chops we eat–will we have to change the name of those now?

OTOH, I could almost understand if Muslims were offended by it–or did I just make a slur?

4. NC Cop says:

I would like to put everyone on notice that, as an Irishman, there are several things that need to change in this country.

1) We will no longer celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. I find this “holiday” nothing more than a reason for people to get drunk and then blame it on the Irish. It is offensive and humiliating. It must stop.

2) The term “Luck of the Irish” will now be banned. All it does is attribute random acts of luck to a situation. Somehow the Irish have been associated with luck rather than hard work. It is offensive and humiliating. It must stop.

3) Lucky Charms. For decades this cereal has made a mockery of Irish people. I have held my tongue for too long on this subject. A leprechaun with a silly Irish accent is a slap in the face to every person of Irish decent. It is offensive and humiliating. It must stop.

4) The color green has been associated with all of these offensive practices. From now on, wearing, displaying, showing, and talking about the color green has been declared a hate crime and anyone who violates this law will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law………….unless an Irishman does it.

Thank you all for this public service announcement.

5. forest hunter says:

The nonstop insipid book of rules should have included in the preface one important point. Under no circumstances, do not leave mommy’s basement. :((

6. forest hunter says:

Why not have retroactive indignant hissy fits as a new sport? As spawned from other psychogenic morons, idiots like the Latino Leadership Alliance seem to have embraced permanent self-inflicted victimhood and have devolved into the new professional mental midgets…….. SOP and code word for the talentless.

7. G-Monster says:

Pork Chops and Apple Sauce…That’s Swell.

8. Mwalimu Daudi says:

This is Macaca (Part II). Like Macaca (Part I) people are supposed to be offended – and never, ever dare to question why! Just do what the nice Far Left hate groups tell you to, and nobody will get hurt. Much.

9. Steve Skubinna says:

NC Cop, you left out the most egregious of all – Notre Dame and their highly offensive team, the Drunken Brawling Stumblebum Micks. Yeah, they don’t actually call them that, but we know what they really mean, don’t we? Time to lawyer up, you got some major damages coming. I’m talking millions.

As to “pork chop,” I’ve never heard it used to describe anyone, save one esoteric group. US Navy Supply Corps officers are commonly called “pork chops” due to a fancied semblance of their corps device to the taste treat in question. Far from taking offense, they revel in their nickname. I know, I was one. I used to have a sweat shirt from the Supply Corps School, labeled “Pork Chop University.” Wish I still had it, I’d snap a shot of me wearing it and send it to these morons.

Plus, I asked a Mexican-American guy in my watch team about the term. He’d never heard it before, he thought I was joking. He believes, as do I, that this was an entirely manufactured offense. Had the team chosen “Allen Wrenches” or “Rotary Engines” these clowns would have jumped shrieking onto the race baiting bandwagon. I wish they’d been sent packing.

10. benning says:

NC Cop, if I may quote John Lennon:

“If you had the luck of the Irish,
    you’d be sorry and wish you were dead.
    If you had the luck of the Irish,
    you would wish you were English instead.”

Speaking as a Mick/Kraut/Limey mongrel, I concur with you. Now I’m heading out to buy some Pork Chops!

11. Leslie says:

Yikes! I think it’s fair to speculate that Mr. Lopez was called “Pork Chop” probably because of his weight. However, he was in denial about his weight and so he decided that the term being used was derogatory because he was of Hispanic origin.

And now he has his chance for revenge.

But, anyway, Ferrous is a much better name. :-?

12. Mwalimu Daudi says:

While we are on the subject…

The following sports names should be banned:

1. Redskins
    2. Indians
    3. Braves
    4. Canadians
    5. Browns

And why should they be banned? Everyone knows that when a sports team gets named after some group, it is solely to degrade and humiliate that group. It is no good to protest, for example, that the Cleveland Browns were named after Paul Brown – it is the reference to color that is unforgivably offensive

Likewise, the following names must be also ostracized:

1. Yankees
    2. 49ers
    3. Patriots
    4. Cowboys
    5. Vikings

And why should they be banned? Everyone knows that when a sports team gets named after some group, it is solely to promote the imperialist right-wing white-male agenda of that group.

Other candidates for censure:

1. Oilers - environmental exploitation.
    2. Panthers – ditto. While we are at it, all references to the animal kingdom should be outlawed, since everyone knows that when a sports team gets named after some animal, it is solely to promote speciesism.
    3. Saints – a blatant attempt to create a Christianist theocracy.
    4. Warriors – glorifying war-for-oil.
    5. Canuck – no, I don’t know what that means, but I don’t like the sound of it. And one can never be too careful – do we want to give paranoia a bad name?

13. Steve Skubinna says:

MD, you left out Padres and Cardinals (although I actually had some Fascist try to claim that the latter was named after some sort of bird – yeah, right, like I’m that stupid!).

And don’t stop with the team names. What good does it do to rename the Padres if they still play for San Diego, which is foreign for some kind of pork chop or something?

14. Mwalimu Daudi says:

MD, you left out Padres and C*******s ……

Because of a losing record the former is beneath contempt. No TV cameras to cover our valiant protests against the Rethugicans!

And the latter must NEVER be mentioned in my presence – or I will go howarddean! For the unspeakable crime of stealing Lou Brock away – no, I cannot go on –

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

:((:((:((:((:((:((:((:((:((:((:((:((

15. G-Monster says:

who’s howard dean?

:d

16. Great White Rat says:

Heck, MD’s list is only the start. Consider these other politically-incorrect team names that should be banned forthwith:

Sabres – naming a team after a weapon???? How dare you!!!

Hurricanes – the Goracle has warned us that AGW will cause weekly category 10 hurricanes, so this name obviously endorses Global Warming. Mustn’t have that!

Giants – creates a hostile environment for the vertically challenged.

Black Hawks – another slur against Indians Native Americans.

Chiefs – see Black Hawks.

Steelers – a salute to capitalist robber barons. And do you know how many greenhouse gases are emitted to make a ton of steel? BTW, did you know that fire can’t melt steel?

Kings – a throwback to the days when nations were ruled and the people in servitude to an unelected autocrat. Unlike, say, the thriving democracies in places like Cuba.

17. PCD says:

MD, Canuck is actually a slur againt Canadians, like Cajuns for the French Castoffs in Louisana, like the Dutch slur against the English on the Manhattan Island.

Why not call this mascot Ferris Bueller?

Cue Ben Stein.