Did McCain pull out of Michigan too soon?

Posted by: ST on October 7, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Conventional wisdom has it that McCain did the “right thing” in pulling out of Michigan and moving his resources elsewhere (even though he shouldn’t have broadcast it), but new numbers out tonight suggest that may have been premature.

First, check out the last several polls that RCP has on Michigan:

The first poll you see there is from PPP, which is a Democrat-based group showing BO up by 10. The poll before that, taken over a 9/22-24 is from Detroit Free Press and shows Mc down by 13. Strategic Vison, a Republican-based group, had Mc down by 3 on that same date. But new polling numbers out today, taken 10/1-4, show that Mc may still have a shot in MI:

LANSING, Mich. — With political insiders still reeling from last week’s announcement that Republican presidential candidate John McCain has withdrawn his campaign from Michigan, new polling data suggest the race is still too close to call. The latest poll from Denno-Noor, The Rossman Group and MIRS shows Barack Obama within statistical striking distance with only a 5 percent lead in Michigan over his Republican contender. McCain trails Obama with 39 percent support of Michigan’s likely voters compared to Obama’s 44 percent. Another 13 percent of voters remain undecided, while the rest plan on voting for one of the third party candidates on the ballot. “Michigan is still widely considered a battle ground state” said Kelly Rossman-McKinney, CEO of The Rossman Group. “For a major presidential contender to pull out when the numbers are this tight, it really begs the question – what are you thinking – or are you?”

Trying to pick up the slack left by the McCain campaign when they left Michigan is the conservative “Our Country Deserves Better” PAC, which is raising money so they can run ads like crazy in MI between now and election time to help defeat Barack Obama. If you’d like to donate a little to help them out, click here. They’ve done a good job so far, raising $250K of the $500K they’d like to have to run those ads in MI.

If the polling continues to be within five points, I suspect the RNC may run a few ads in MI as well.

One thing is getting more clear by the day: If poll trends continue, McCain is going to have to turn a blue state in order to win this election. Looks like Obama may flip CO and NM, and keep PA, and he’s doing much better in FL now than he had been. McCain needs to be able to hold on to what states Bush won. If he can’t hold on to NM and CO, he’ll need to pick up MI and another blue state, which is going to be tough.

One other thing: It’s easy to get discouraged right now with Obama having the edge in the national polling, and making significant gains in state polling, but please keep your chin up and don’t lose the will to continue fighting this. The way the media is reporting the news you’d think this race is already over – which is probably exactly what they want people to think, because if people think it’s already over they may not bother to show up.

Remember, this year it was going to be an uphill battle, no matter the Republican – especially considering the fact that if the economy became the focal point issue (which it has) it was going to favor the Democrat because McCain happens to be a Republican in the Bush administration, which has low approval ratings right now. “Guilt” by association and all that. In any event, please stay focused, stay strong, and never ever ever concede the battle until you know for sure one way or the other who the winner is next month.

9 Responses to “Did McCain pull out of Michigan too soon?”

Comments

1. Antimedia says:

Correction. Never concede the battle until after you’ve voted and gotten all your friends to vote as well.

2. I know time is a precious commodity right now, but two days of the Palins and Romney in Michigan could make a heckuva difference.

I’m just sayin’…

And, as a morale booster, remember these lines spoken by Churchill:

…this is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

This fight ain’t over. :d

3. Angie says:

Thank you for your encouragement in this post. Lately, I have been so discouraged by the liberal (Obama) media. I know they did this in the last election but sometimes I don’t want to fight them anymore. Your post encouraged me to not give up and to realize I am not alone in this battle. Thanks again.

You know, nothing opens a person’s eyes like a good friend giving up on them. Perhaps this is the slap in the face that some folk in MI needed. Michigan has been run into the ground by the left and they keep asking for more. They believe the lying tongue of their present leadership everytime. How many people have to leave Detroit before they open their eyes?? Look at all of the left leaning big cities, are any of them run very well?? Chicago…No. LA….No. New Orleans…Hell No….. but yet these folk just keep voting in the same people that caused the problems…i.e. Barney Frank and Chris Dodd. Classic examples. If these two get re-elected then the people that elected them deserve the life they get. – Lorica

5. NC Cop says:

You know what Angie. I felt the same way you did. Reading every poll, watching every show by our “objective media”, and listening to all the so called experts had me down, and I am not normally like that.

After reading the latest crap by ACORN I’m really pissed !!!

Acorn Vegas Office Raided

Secretary of State Ross Miller said the fraudulent registrations included forms for the starting lineup of the Dallas Cowboys football team.

Now, this is nothing new. ACORN has a history of this. However, I cannot believe how blatant and obvious this is. How can they be so blatant? Our non-existent watchdog media.

Not only that but by including the Dallas Cowboys lineup it is sure to tick off M.D.!!!!!

;)

Anyway, Angie, I was about ready to give up, but now I’m angry that the democrats would so easily throw the law under the bus in order to win an election.

Truly disgusting.

6. Leslie says:

McCain campaign should never ever ever have admitted they were pulling out of MI. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

7. Jeanie says:

Reports of McCains aids already conceding…saying it’s over? Bull!!! No aid for a Presidential candidate would do that. The media is again, as always trying to control this race.

So far I’ve boycotted all media but Fox, and if they so much as sway….they get boycotted too. I no longer subscribe to any publications that lean liberal. No newspapers , other than some that are online, or I can pick up for free. They no longer get my viewing, or readership. I have had enough. I am but one, but I hope many will follow…and send the message, that they do not run this country. The people do.

It’s not over, nor will it be, til after we vote, and with all the cheating going on…..it may not be over even then!

8. MissJean says:

I think that McCain is much closer than he realizes in Michigan, simply because Obama is seen as courting Detroit first, then Lansing and Grand Rapids. Most Michiganians (me included) think that McCain/Palin actually see and hear voters outside the metro areas.

9. GlennO says:

I’m down with $50 bucks to save Michigan from the Bombats. I’m from NYC, lost many years ago to the parasitic Liberal hordes. God help my hometown.

The PAC: