Weekend open thread

Posted by: ST on October 25, 2008 at 10:51 pm

What’s on your mind?

11 Responses to “Weekend open thread”

Comments

1. Where am I going to put that new aquarium I want to get? Forty gallons, freshwater, heavily planted, probably tetras and rams. The living room is the best spot, but that means moving bookcases. Hmmm… :-?

It’s true. I’m a fish geek. You didn’t think it was all politics, all the time, did you? :d

2. Joe says:

Proposition 8, the California ballot initiative to define marriage as between a man and a woman, is in trouble after Hollywood, unions, and big corporations (most recently Apple, Inc.) have poured in millions to defeat it. I’m all maxed out after donating to John McCain and to the effort to elect him and defeat Obama, but anyone who can afford to donate, please do so here. I am in way connected to this group, and I don’t even live in California, but the results of this initiative will have repercussions nationwide. I would love to see the Hollywood and corporate fat cats disappointed.

3. Well, as a native Californian, let me say I’m torn on this proposition. On the one hand, I truly believe that marriage (as far as the state is concerned) is a civil contract. That is, as long as no laws are broken regarding age,free will, or consanguinity, people should be able to contract with each other most any relationship. And that includes homosexual unions.

On the other hand, I think our state supreme court was was off-base when it ruled that recognition of gay marriages was required by our (antiquated) state constitution. I very much dislike the CA Supreme Court’s imposition of a right to gay marriage, given that a) the people banned such unions in the 90s and b) the Court’s decision was tortured at best. So I’m leaning toward voting in favor of Prop 8, basically to rebuke the Court for overstepping it’s authority.

So, I ask: am I wrong to take an essentially libertarian position on this issue? Or should I vote in favor of gay marriage as an equity issue, even though it’s a right imposed by the Court? Again, I have nothing against two gays marrying, but I do think such a law should come throgh the legislature, not the Supreme Court.

4. Joe says:

If two people of the same sex want to live together and consider themselves as married, and if they can find an institution that performs such ceremonies (including some out-of-the-mainstream churches), that’s their business, but such unions shouldn’t be recognized by the state as equal to that between a man and a woman. Never before our own era has the sanctity of marriage been considered anything else in any civilization, even the most liberal. Proposition 8 and others like it are merely a reaction to radical judges, unanswerable to public opinion, imposing their will on society. That is something we will get much, much more of if Obama is elected.

5. BeachBabe NC says:

Ok as far as to where to put the 40 gal fish tank.. Somewhere where there is some natural light. I like them best if they are in a wall.. you know like the ones at the doctors office..

Cant help yah on the “Gay ” thing.. Sorry.. My opinion stays here with me.
    ;)

6. Tom TB says:

What’s on my mind right now is to wait for the tide to go out so I can pick some mussels, clean, steam, and shuck them, and make a pasta sauce. It’s a beautiful day here; maybe politics can just take a hike!

7. Jeanie says:

I dunno.

I love hearing good news, but take the good, with the bad.

I am constantly trying to wrap my brain around the Obama fanaticism. I don’t get it? I don’t see it? What do others see? I know I’m not missing anything, and have always had a level headed mindset…but never have I seen people so enamored, or taken in, by a mere politician, which is all Obama is.

He’s not a God, or a messiah. Hardly a savior. Yet religous, and non religous all see him as some miracle worker, that can hold far more, and do far more, than Christ himself did.

I woke up with tears…and some fear, of what’s happening to this country. It scares me, and it makes me extremely sad to see this coming, so fast now. Part of me wants this over, but I know if the outcome is not what I’m hoping for, from November 4th, to January…I’ll have a pit in my stomach, and far beyond that.

8. Joe says:

I just try to remember the prayer of St. Francis, the part where it says “help me to accept those things I cannot change”. We can do only so much. I donated, I comment on blogs, and I can vote, but if the majority or a plurality of voters disagree, I’ll just have to accept it, and look forward to 2012, and hope that there won’t be too much damage done in the meantime.

And, yes, it’s okay to pray.

9. forest hunter says:

Jeanie: To me it seems like the same kind of twisted spirit that requires things like kleptomaniac’s and pyromaniac’s, to do what it is they do. Spawned from BDS, even the what was once a normal person, with a normal functioning brain can not possibly consider the truths behind the devious One.