Safe travels (OPEN THREAD)

Posted by: ST on November 26, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Just wanted to wish readers of this blog safe travels if they’re driving or flying to their Thanksgiving destinations today. If you’re hosting Thanksgiving, good luck with all the cooking and handling all the family and friends you have over :)

I’m tying up a few loose ends here at the 8-5, and hope to be able to head out for the day by around 3:30 or 4. I’ll try to do some late-in-the-evening blogging later tonight if I’m not too exhausted from helping mom with food prep :)

Please consider this an open thread.

15 Responses to “Safe travels (OPEN THREAD)”

Comments

Well God Bless you and your family Dear. I for one would like to give thanks to God for all of your hard work on this blog, giving us a voice where we really don’t have one. Please know just how much I appreciate you. – Lorica

2. Dana says:

Thanksgiving dinner will be at home, so there’s no travel involved.

3. Dana says:

Of course, since we know that you’ve invited your blog family for Thanksgiving, we’re all headed to Carolina. Just how many of us can fit around the dining room table?

4. Great White Rat says:

Amen to that, Lorica. We all have the right to be heard (well, unless you ask The One a question and he screws up the answer), but most of us are so busy we couldn’t do so easily except for ST’s hard work. And for that, I am truly thankful. [-o<

5. Connie says:

Dear Sissy–well, that’s what I call my bio sister:)>-

Thank YOU so much for your hard work on this blog that is a “Rush” type lifeline I appreciate.

I also wish you happy trails and to have fun at your family gathering. We are 2 hours from CLT (where my son also lives). It was neat to realize you are in the same state as us even though a move to a nearby RED state may be in the works!
    Since my son (due to work) cannot attend T-Day dinner–we will (most likely) be the only NO-bamas there.
    Groan.
    At any rate– May God Bless you and yours this holiday! Thank you again!
    Connie
    LINK

:d:d^:)^

6. Trish says:

I second Lorica’s response.
    God bless you and yours, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

7. Great White Rat says:

Since this is also an open thread, I’d like to revisit the study of the species Voterus Ignoramus Americanus, commonly known as the idiot who cancels out your well-informed vote.

The Intercollegiate Studies Institute has been conducting Civic Literacy tests for a few years now. Some of the results of the past years have been revealing – such as very few college graduates could score a passing grade (70%), and in some cases, especially at the more leftist schools, students got dumber as they got older.

The results of this year’s exam are out, and they’re bad again. Average score: 49%. And the lack of knowledge seems to be across the board. The best score of any demographic group was 55% – still a solid F.

Here’s one intriguing supplemental finding: people who frequently discuss current events – like the regulars here at the ST blog – did much better than average (another reason to give thanks for our hostess!). But guess what one of the factors that dumbs people down is? Watching TV News. Not surprising…listen to ST and you learn. Listen to Chris Matthews, your brain decays. :d

And one group scored lower than the general public: elected officials. Yep…the only ones more clueless than the voters are the clowns they vote for. Office holders scored only 44%. Fully 43% of the clucks in office don’t know what the Electoral College does. l-)

The test is 33 multiple guess questions, and if you’re curious, you can take it here. I missed one.

8. Trish says:

Great White Rat–

I used to be very a very gung-ho, everybody-should-vote type. When my somewhat lefty cousin (God rest her soul) said she wasn’t going to vote, I chastised her severely. Then she said, “I’m not going to vote because I don’t know anything about the issues.”
    That stopped me cold.
    Would that everyone were so honest.

9. Mwalimu Daudi says:

This is your brain.

This is your brain watching Chris Matthews.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS – BOOM!

Any questions?

10. Steve Skubinna says:

Hadn’t thought about it, but I am travelling this Thanksgiving Day – South China Sea, sea state 6, gale force winds, and the galley gang is under the weather so we cancelled the dinner.

It was going to be meatloaf.

Then a couple of the divers decided that wasn’t going to happen, if they had anything to do about it, so they took over the galley. All day long we had a few of them working in there, and not long ago I had turkey and crab legs, enthusiastically if not expertly prepared.

So what am I thankful for today? US Navy divers. We’ll be in port next week and I can get a better dinner then, but certainly not one more memorable or meaningful.

11. Helen says:

Hey, am I invited to Thanksgiving as well? OK, just kidding. ;) Happy Thanksgiving to you and all others on this blog from this side of the Pond. :)>-

12. Tom TB says:

Obama won an “American Idol” popularity contest, and we are stuck with him. I was surprised how little his fans know about how our government works, and even that the Dems are the majority party in both houses of Congress. As an optimist, I HOPE that the younger voters will increase their knowledge, and CHANGE the way they judge candidates.
    Happy Thanksgiving, one and all!

13. Dana says:

Great Caucasian Rodent: One of my co-bloggers put the quiz here. However, the survey is rather dubious in that while the total sample size is sufficient, the table noted that “164 say they have been elected to a government office at least once.” First, self-identification adds a point of uncertainty; were they accurate? Second, even if accurate, 164 is not a statistically sufficient sample size, as the margin of error becomes huge.

Of course, I happen to know one guy who got all 33 right! :)

14. Great White Rat says:

Dana, your points about the sample size and MOE are well taken. If I recall correctly, this isn’t the first time ISI has uncovered the same trend, which adds a little more credence to their point.

Even with a smaller sample size, you’d hope our elected class would be more versed in the economic and political foundations of our country. Not so, apparently.

And I’m not surprised someone aced the quiz. I think some of my fellow commenters here could. :)

15. Severian says:

I took the quiz, got 31 out of 33 correct, and one of the ones I got wrong I thought was ambiguous and didn’t agree with their answer being the correct one. I did miss the Gettysburg Address one, but then being Southern I tend to block Lincoln out due to PTSD.

And I’ve been out of high school for more years than I care to admit. I imagine that the average kid today couldn’t get 5 of these right sadly, the way the liberals have dumbed down education.

Back in the day when I was thinking AFROTC in college, I had to take the Air Force Officers Qualifying Test (AFOQT). There were 5 sections, verbal, math, pilot, navigator, and officer aptitude. The latter being a bunch of psychological questions like “do you like to goa long with the group or lead it” things, to see if you had it in you to be a leader of men or whatever. But interspersed in these questions were a ton of political questions like “JFK’s father was a famous politician, bootlegger, etc.” They were evaluating how much attention you paid to not only history but relatively current events, there were a lot of questions related to things that happened in the recent past, 5-10 years. So, they apparently felt that a person who kept up with history and current events/news was valuable as an officer.

God only knows what they ask today, who won the last American Idol? How does that make you qualified to be a leader?