NFL Sunday Open Thread

Posted by: Phineas on October 11, 2009 at 11:23 am

SF_49ers_logo

Week five of the NFL season begins today with my 49ers facing the Atlanta Falcons at Candlestick. Can the Niners run their record to 4-1? They’ve already surprised me this year; much more of this, and I’ll start building a statue to Mike.

Meanwhile Steve’s Packers have a bye this week, and the ST-endorsed Carolina Panthers face Washington in Charlotte. If this team has any compassion at all for a sick woman, they’ll get off their behinds and finally win one.

Open thread, folks!

9 Responses to “NFL Sunday Open Thread”

Comments

1. steveegg says:

Start building.

2. Anthony says:

If we beat Atlanta, I’m ordering the foundation. :)

Viks and the Rams game was almost sad. I was really hoping the Rams would have a better showing against Farve and the Viks. Is there a team out there than can stop the Viks, I have to wonder. – Lorica

4. Anthony says:

Goes to check the NFL page… Falcons up 14-7 in the 1st? Now wait just a cotton-picking minute! x(

5. Anthony says:

The Rams wouldn’t have been the team to do it, Lorica. They’re vying for worst in the league this year with the Raiders and Tampa.

6. LC Gregory says:

Okay, Anthony – today didn’t work out. But take it from a long-time Bears fan – with Samurai Mike at the helm, you’ll want to start collecting donations for that statue NOW. One reason the vaunted 46 Zone worked in the ’80s was that the Bears had Mike Singletary – who had so many assignments, and the football smarts to handle them all, that they practically had 13 men on the field. Didn’t have the flashy stats of Lawrence Taylor, but as the anchor of the defense, for my money (and Dick Butkus has said the same thing), he was the greatest linebacker to ever play the game.

The Niners are clearly a team, and a franchise, on the way back up. Yes, it’s been a long time coming, and yes, I doubt you’re expecting five more rings, but still – with Mike Singletary in charge, you will get the very best out of your talent you can possibly get. Believe it.

7. steveegg says:

All I have to say is injuries are murder.

8. Anthony says:

Oh, I’m not worried, LC. For a bad team on the road to recovery, there are going to be days like this. And it may have a small silver lining, too: based on articles I’d read, I was starting to worry the team, especially the defense, was getting cocky. Don’t have to worry about that, now. :">

Well that might all change once Rush Limbaugh becomes a part owner. :)) – Lorica