See Presidents through the eyes of those who protect them

Posted by: ST on October 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm

The North Star National has an interesting write-up on journalist Ronald Kessler’s book In the President’s Secret Service: Behind the Scenes with Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents they Protect. Kessler interviewed over 100 former Secret Service agents to get their accounts of their time served with Presidents both past and present, and the President that gets the worst rating? Jimmy Carter (via Hot Air Headlines):

Carter is portrayed as a phony according to the agents interviewed by Kessler. Carter would put on a show for the public to convey himself as a common man, but it was never anymore than an act. For instance, we are told that when Carter would make a point of carrying his own luggage in front of the press, he was really carrying empty bags. He expected others to carry his real luggage. Unfriendly, Carter “didn’t want the police officers and agents looking at him or speaking to him when he went to the [Oval] office,” explained an assistant White House usher. “The only time I saw a smile on Carter’s face was when the cameras were going,” one former agent told Kessler.

After his presidency, Kessler reports that when Carter would stay at a townhouse maintained for former presidents in D.C., he would take down pictures of other presidents and put up more pictures of himself! “The Carters were the biggest liars in the world,” one agent told Kessler of the Carter era.

Carter, not surprisingly, denied to Kessler through a lawyer many of the allegations in the book.

Not surprising, considering Carter has been in denial for about half his life on a number of issues, including the fact that he views his country as the enemy and believes terrorist outfits like Hamas truly desire “peace.”

Speaking of former Presidents, anyone catch the History Channel’s Kennedy family documentary? It’s called “The Curse of Power.” I don’t know if it’s new or not, but while I was out sick this week, they aired a well-researched, non-politically correct piece about the Kennedys going all the way back to Joe, Sr. I knew this family was deeply corrupt and crooked, but I had no idea just how much. If you get a chance to watch it, you should. The next time it airs is Sunday the 18th at 1 PM ET. It’s also for sale at History.com for $29.95 plus shipping. There’s a good synopsis of it at that same link.

14 Responses to “See Presidents through the eyes of those who protect them”

Comments

1. camojack says:

I’d seen that excerpt about Carter; maybe I should buy the book… :-?

2. LC Gregory says:

Wow – Jimmy Carter a lying hypocrite? Who knew? ;)

3. TWoPolitics says:

Those of us that served in the military under this phony loser really felt the brunt of his incompetence.

He was, without a doubt, the worst President in my lifetime although Obama’s tenure isn’t over yet.

4. Severian says:

So, anyone notice a pattern here between Dem and Rep Presidents? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Oddly enough, everything about Carter was a dog and pony show. Even sending poor Amy to public school was BS “look at me” garbage. If there is a man who is deserving of my disdain, it is Jimmy Carter. I have made no bones about it, when there is a national day of mourning for this man, I will be celebrating. – Lorica

As far as the Kennedy’s go, Joe’s involvement with crime syndicates is well known. The only reason the Kennedy’s are of any importance is due to FDR’s promotion of Joe, and then him using that power to his advantage. This legacy is seen played out in many of the lives of his children, grand children, and great grandchildren. Especially in their treatment of women. You can always tell a power hungry maniac, by how they treat the women they come in contact with. – Lorica

7. Kate says:

My mother used to say, “The truth always comes out in the wash.” I have no reason not to believe what the Secret Service agents say about Carter, just like Clinton, they have false faces they wear when in public to promote themselves as whatever seems appropriate at the time.

This is why I really hate the media who KNOW all this and yet refuse to comment on it. I guess they like big phonies since they themselves pretend to be journalists.

I wonder if the Kennedy’s believe in the old Biblical principle that the consequences of evil follows you for several generations. This proves it for me!

8. MAS1916 says:

Great Post!!

Obama is Jimmy Carter on Steroids. At least the two of these losers will go down in history as having inspired the greatest conservative comebacks of all time!

Obama is running a paranormal administration though. His decisions simply do not make sense. Like Carter, he will push the country to the brink of disaster that a true conservative will have to break us out of.

9. bill glass says:

JC Watts said something like ” character is what you’re like or how you act when nobody’s watching ” – thus, this is a true insight, or revelation…a valuable lesson about how politicians ( esp. it seems dems ) go about trying to fool us into voting for them.

As a Christian, I have had to put up with the tired, old, “Well, Carter was a Christian and look at what he was (is).”

As I’ve said before, thank God I don’t have to decide anyone’s salvation. But people like him claiming my Lord is a pox.

11. The truth might very well come out in the wash, Kate, but let’s hope this spin cycle wraps up quickly.

This time, we are in quite another age altogether.

This crowd is different; touched with a radicalism that is in many ways far more disturbing that the general liberal goody-bag offerings.

Late-on-the-draw message to Sister Toldjah:

Cool blog, girl.

North Carolina IS a great state!

(South Carolina–outside of Columbia–ain’t so bad either)

–Wakefield

12. nina says:

One of my patient’s husband was Carter’s SS. He told me that when Carter went to dinner he would not include them.He also said good ol’Ros was horrible.
    With Regan and Bush 41 they were always invited to dine with them . His favorite was Reagan. He also praised Nancy Regan.

13. Peter says:

In the review it talks of how different George W. Bush was in person than in front of a microphone. I met him when he was first running for Governor here in Texas. I was a delegate to the my state Setatorial Discrict Convention. He gave a ho-hum speech and then, when there were a bunch of judges speaking that my precinct could not vote for or against I was out in front with the other smokers. (I’ve since quit, that’s what a stroke will do for you) Anyhow W. stood out in front and talk to us for about an hour, with his staff guy looking nervously at his watch. There were at the most seven of us, down to three of us.

Dubya was, and is, a good guy, smart and, as events showed, tough. The only mistake he made was treating Washington DC Democrats like the ones we had in Austin. And that, after 9/11, he gave up his agenda for the WOT.

The SS guys will always have a conservative slant to their own world view. Why? Because if they were to have a liberal one (a la Obama) they could not be trusted to protect the president. Or anyone else, as far as that goes.

Even liberals recognize the need for people in some occupations to believe in what they do to the point of sacrificing their own life, simply because that’s the honorable and right thing to do.