Monday-Post NFL Wildcard Games Open Thread

Posted by: ST on January 11, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Realized late last night that I had not started an open thread for this past weekend’s NFL wildcard playoff games. I’ll remedy that this weekend with an open thread for the next round.

I know there are a few cowboys fans here who have to be delighted that Romo the Cowboys have finally peeled the playoff monkey off their backs. The Jets looked mighty impressive, thanks in no small party to hottie QB Mark Sanchez. OTOH, Tom Brady and the Pats will be watching the rest of the playoffs from home, with visions of past playoff wins dancing in their heads. And no doubt Green Bay fans have some legitimate complaints over an exciting but poorly officiated game that saw them lose in OT after a clear face mask penalty was not called against the Cards.

Face mask

Arizona Cardinals cornerback Michael Adams (L) forces a fumble by Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers in overtime which was returned for a touchdown by Cardinals linebacker Karlos Dansby to win the NFL playoff game in Glendale, Arizona January 10, 2010. REUTERS/Rick Scuteri

I haven’t watched a video replay, but was the ball knocked loose before or after the face mask? If it was knocked loose before it, then in the end wouldn’t it still have ended up being the Cards’ ball, with them being set back 15 yards on the penalty? If it was before the ball was knocked loose, then shouldn’t it have remained the Packers ball, with the Packers facing 4th down? And why is it against NFL rules to review plays like that?

Discuss.

8 Responses to “Monday-Post NFL Wildcard Games Open Thread”

Comments

1. Big GB fan here. It was a bad call, but Danby and Adams shouldn’t have been back there in the first place. Bad O-line protection has been the Packers’ Achilles heel all season.

2. b. pocoroba says:

Refs ( vegas ) made the call – or rather ignored the obvious infractions – that and a roughing the passer call that would have made a big difference.

3. Great White Rat says:

It’s a good life. :d

Not only do the Cowboys win, but New England, the team I loathe more than any other, is humiliated.

And the added bonus is that when I go to the Flyers’ games at Wachovia Center, I don’t have to endure the idiotic “E-A-G-L-E-S” chants the rest of the year.

4. Anthony says:

Meanwhile, I predict Kurt Warner retires after this year, with or without a Super Bowl ring. And, if the Cards have to depend on $C bust and Paris Hilton boy-toy Matt Leinart, well, I like the 49ers chances. >:)

5. marc says:

I was hoping the Packers would pull it out, but the Cards made the play. Facemask? If Rodgers hadn’t held the ball freakin’ forever he wouldn’t have blown the game… Or if he’d hit the wide-open receiver on the first play of OT…

6. bill glass says:

Those missed calls were very significant. The officials can and do make all the difference. Sure, Rodgers should have hit that receiver, but you can’t, in any case, grab his facemask…everybody knows that. I don’t know, but I’m guessing the point spread was something like Cards by 3. Hmmmm.

7. Tango says:

**** GO PANTERS! **** b-)

8. Marshall Art says:

Boo-freakin’-hoo for the Packers. As a totally P-O’d Bear fan, who is still reeling from a horrible season, I was totally into that Packer-Card game. But I fell asleep before OT. However, thanks to Direct TV, an NFL channel showed a replay of the game and I stumbled upon it just as OT was beginning. The totally inadvertant facemask, which even in slo-mo seemed to last about a second, came totally after the ball was long out of his hand. And I agree, at worst, any penalty would not have affected the change of possession. I think it was a totally good non-call as it did not change the course of the action, nor did it in any way endanger Rodgers, who does hang on to the ball too long.

And by the way, if that’s the play everyone is saying is controversial, then football today is indeed for sissies.