A retrospective on the war on Iraq

Posted by: ST on February 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm

If you read nothing else today, please read David Bellavia’s poignant piece on Iraq: Our Mission is Finally Accomplished… Anyone Care? It’s mostly directed at the doubters and naysayers, those who didn’t believe the US could and would win there, but it’s also an important read for those of us stateside who never gave up believing the mission could be accomplished, who never had a doubt that our men and women and our allies would make it happen.

Hats off and salutes to the men and women of our US military, and to the top military brass both abroad and here at home who put it all on the line in the name of freedom and democracy. Not only did they get the job done in Iraq, but they’re getting it done in Afghanistan, too, as news of more and more captures/arrests of top Taliban figures filters down to the US media.

God bless them, keep them safe, and keep them strong.

(Via Power Line)

Cross-posted to Right Wing News, where I am helping guestblog for John Hawkins on Sundays.

9 Responses to “A retrospective on the war on Iraq”

Comments

1. Anthony says:

At the time we invaded and liberated Iraq (Yes, moonbats, it was a liberation.), I thought it was the right thing to do. I thought it was the right thing during the years of the guerrilla war against the Coalition and the new Iraqi government, and to this day I remain convinced that it was right and worth doing. My heart swelled with pride in 2005 as I saw thousands upon thousands of Iraqis brave death to vote, claiming their inalienable right as a free people, and as I watched American and Iraqi troops give them the security to do so. And I will forever be proud of the role we and our allies played in giving the people of both Iraq and Afghanistan a chance at a future without tyranny.

And it will be a long time before I ever forgive the Democrats for the role they played as Copperheads from 2004-08, acting against their own country’s interests and doing all they could to abandon the Iraqis to civil war and dictatorship. Shame on them.

2. Great White Rat says:

Amen, ST. To that I would add those who were not military, but went to Iraq to support the liberation and help the Iraqis form a free and multisectarian state. Those like our own respected commenter NC Cop have sacrificed more and did more every single day to advance freedom and world peace than all the moonbats in the administration have in their lifetimes.

Anthony: Bravo. I could not have said it better.

3. Stone says:

It ain’t over ’till it’s over. Our son & daughter-in-law are there, in Iraq, for their 4th & 3rd tour.
    Waiting for their return,
    Stone

4. Carol says:

Ditto, Anthony!

There are many days I cry when I see stories or watch video clips of our fallen soldiers. Not a day goes by that I don’t think of our brave men and women sacrificing while our country is falling apart here at home with the crooks in Washington. And I can’t help but wonder what they feel in their hearts and minds when they see Biden claim Iraq will be one of Obama’s biggest accomplishments. Blood shot out of my eyes when I heard that!!!

I have struggled within my heart since the beginning of the War on Terror. I have a great life here at home while so many men and women sacrifice everything to fight an enemy so evil over there. I pray for the day they can all come home.

5. jcraig says:

when the dust settles in iraq, the decision to plant our battle flag there and take on all comers will prove to have been the pivotal point in the war on terror. There were reported to have been 40,000 men trained by al qaeda before the afgan war started. At the start of the afgan conflict they scattered. less than 10% were accounted for as casualties before the iraq war started. they came like moths to a flame when we decided to make our stand on the ground of iraq. our casualties in iraq will be vindicated when the true measure is taken…accurate accounting of history takes time..the mantra about no wmd’s will be forgotten and arguments regarding gwb on mt rushmore will begin.

6. Tex says:

Two of my best friends have a total of 3 sons who have all served in Iraq 2 tours each and 2 of those sons are both in Afghanistan now.

It’s these guys who won the war in Iraq and are going to win the war in Afghanistan….not the self-serving politicians.

Every time I see them, I make sure to thank them for their courage, service, and sacrifice. Every American should personally thank a serviceman or servicewoman when they see them, even if they are not related to them. They really are the best our country has to offer and far, far better than most of us average Americans.

7. Marilyn says:

“Every American should personally thank a serviceman or servicewoman when they see them, even if they are not related to them”

Whenever I can. As the mother of one American soldier who did his part to secure one of the roughest cities in Iraq, I know how uplifting it is to me when my son’s service is acknowledged. I pass it on freely to others and am grateful to all of you who show in so many ways that you care!

8. bill glass says:

Having read the piece on our great victory in Iraq. It’s always appropriate to keep on message…the lefty web sites I sometimes check out are still as vicious and virulent as before…Bush hatred is still the ongoing number one thread.

9. NC Cop says:

Thanks for those words, GWR, I appreciate them.

Having been there and actually seen with my own eyes how the Iraqis braved snipers, car bombs, and suicide bombers just to vote, it is such a thrill to see how much better things have gotten.

I truly hope and pray they continue on their path of democracy. Our men and women in the military have pulled off nothing short of a miracle with Iraq.

God bless every one of them.