Rangel: Censured

Posted by: ST on December 2, 2010 at 6:48 pm

It’s official: Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-NY) has become the 23rd Congressman to be censured by his House colleagues:

The House on Thursday voted to formally censure Rep. Charlie Rangel for financial misconduct despite pleas from the New York Democratic lawmaker and some of his colleagues for a less punishing reprimand.

The final vote was 333-79.

Rangel, who became the 23rd House member to be censured, appeared at the front of the chamber while Speaker Nancy Pelosi read the resolution.

Rangel responded that he won’t be judged by this Congress, “but I’m going to be judged by my life, my activities, my contributions to society and I just apologize for the awkard position that some of you are in.”

“But at the end of the day — as I started off saying — compared to where I’ve been, I haven’t had a bad day since,” he said, drawing applause from the chamber. Rangel was referring to the day he was left for dead on a Korean battlefield nearly 60 years ago.

Censure is the most serious House punishment short of expulsion. His supporters asked instead for a reprimand, which would eliminate that humiliating appearance.

But the House voted against downgrading the punishment 146-267.

Wasn’t it oh so sweet that House Speaker Nancy “Drain the Swamp – of Republicans” Pelosi got to read the censure resolution (video here)? I love it.

Please, oh please let Mad Maxine Waters be next.

8 Responses to “Rangel: Censured”

Comments

1. Old Goat says:

So he gets this minor note in a history book and it amounts to nothing. He loses nothing, not his position, not his wealth that he got on the backs of the taxpayers, he gets “censured” and then applauded.

Tell me, while this is something that you don’t like to brag about, what is the big deal about it?

Yes, there is a stigma attached to it, but for this crook, it is not that big a deal. If he were an employee he wouldn’t only lose his job, he’d be in jail. Employment wouldn’t be looking so hot either.

He keeps his position, he keeps his wealth, he keeps his pension. Wow. Color me unimpressed.

2. Phineas says:

Censure was the best we could hope for, but it’s still embarrassing that this swine got off short of expulsion.

3. Sefton says:

At least we finally got to see Pelosi finally wipe that psychotic, plastic grin off her face as she pouted out the ruling.
    Rangel’s press conference afterwards was bordering on Captain Queeg ramblings…with his final take being that his staff was ultimately to blame and then patting himself on the back for his “contributions to society”.
    What a sorry windbag.

Charlie’s statement later that this sets a new standard because many in the past have damaged the reputation of that august body much more with less penalty will go down in history as the penultimate “I’m innocent because my crime wasn’t as bad as others” defense.

Unfortunately, I believe Charlie is correct, and that there are many others in that “august body” that deserve not only censure but expulsion and jail time.

But it shore ain’t gonna happen on Nazi’s watch.

Speaking of which, Pelousy is the only person I’ve ever seen who could turn her botoxed-to-the-max smile into such a somber look. Scary, she is.

5. Kate says:

No remorse, the sign of a true sociopath. He talked about ultimate judgement. Obviously he wasn’t talking about final judgement before Jesus….Hey, Charlie, I hope your name is in the Book of Life or else all this “weighing” of your “good works” is a moot point.

By the way, why hasn’t the NY Attorney general looked into this ownership of more than one rent controlled apartment? Why hasn’t the IRS investigated his income tax returns? Oh, that’s right he’s above the law. So much for the DC elitist!

6. CA resident says:

And he remained the pompous ass he is, in his statement after the censure.

7. Old Goat says:

While congress states that censure is the highest punishment short of expulsion, I just don’t see why this is any different from a rebuke or any other words they want to call it.

It didn’t change anything other than a note in the history books till the Dems figure out how to re-write it.

Censure should also come with other things attached, such as not being allowed to chair any committees, such as reduction of pension, or some other penalty that costs the member.

I did hear that this could open up Rangel to IRS charges and so on, but being that he was found guilty of these things by his peers, shouldn’t something like that be automatic?

It is things like this that leave me disgusted with congress and politics.

So again, big deal. He stands there while this notice of censure is made, he gets his sound bite out that even though he was found guilty he really wasn’t and invokes his military service. He isn’t sorry, other than that he got caught and had his hand slapped.

Tax fraud, no problem, he is washed clean because he is a congressman, so its all good.

8. Zippy says:

It’s the equivalent of a Monty Python Spamming.