MSDNC race “expert”: Vick issue is “complex” – because of slavery or something

Posted by: ST on December 30, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Sigh.

You know, when I read moronic liberal “commentary” like this, it makes me wish I’d better spent the wasted time reading it on something more productive and far less painful – like beating my head up against a wall a few times.

The even scarier part about what the woman, Melissa Harris-Perry, said is the fact that she’s a professor at Princeton – specifically, Associate Professor of Politics and African American Studies. Now there’s someone we want “educating” future doctors, lawyers, CEOs, politicians, etc ….

The professor tried to ‘clarify’ her comments via Twitter (as noted by by Mediaite), but if anyone out there can see where what she Tweeted was any more in depth and explanatory than her remarks on MSDNC, please let me know. She also wrote an expansive piece here in which she tried to provide context for the comments she made on MSDNC. The best I could get out of it was that she was trying to justify in some way the lax, forgiving reaction of black people to what Michael Vick did in comparison with the condemning reactions by white people to what he did. The justification being that black people used to be compared to animals and that dogs used to be used to corral black slaves trying to escape to freedom, and to terrorize civil rights proponents.

So, essentially, what I’m reading is that she’s trying to explain away the tepid reactions of many in the black community to Vick’s crimes by invoking the “slavery” card, as if we should find it acceptable and understandable that many of the people whose ancestors suffered extreme, cruel, and inhumane treatment at the hands of slaveowners are callously indifferent to the fact that a prominent, popular black American athelete and former role model to kids inflicted extreme, cruel, and inhumane treatment both directly and indirectly on one of the few types of domesticated animals in this country: dogs. For profit.

Whatever.

I shudder to think what her rationale was/is for the starkly different reactions of white people and black people to the OJ Simpson verdict. Sheesh. 8-|

6 Responses to “MSDNC race “expert”: Vick issue is “complex” – because of slavery or something”

Comments

1. Kate says:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone in academia to come up with a way to explain away bad behavior. But, there is something to be said about the environment in which people are raised that makes them develop a desensitivity to pain and cruelty. Such as, women who are abused who raise children who become abusers. In this way, I can understand how Vick would have found the raising of dogs for profit, albiet a cruel and inhumane way, to be part of his stunted and underdeveloped socialization skills.

That said, I think stretching this into a slavery/plantation mentality is really pushing the limits. He knew what was being done under his nose on his property was illegal; however, did he really sense that these animals were worthy of anything more than fighting? Had he developed an opinion that pit bulls were bred only for fighting and that was their purpose? Did this come from his culture? If so, diversity folks should embrace it. (I am being sarcastic).

2. Paul says:

The race card played again. Vick did what he did because he wanted to do it not because of slavery. These academicians can say what they please to blur and distort the truth, but the truth remains for all to see ! What Michael Vick did was sadistic and inhumane .

3. FrankNitti says:

………. and the blame game continues.

My ancestors were Northern European Jews; can I blame any of my behavior on pogroms instituted against my people and the resulting thefts of lands and possessions, and loss to murder of some ancestors? Can I sue for reparations? Please?

I’m a victim here, ya know.

What a moronic argument, and what a maroon!

5. b. pocoroba says:

Kate’s opinion in the first paragraph is pretty much my view. Vick’s offenses have zero to do with slavery, but more are related to a cultural upbringing, and macho chic.

6. MissJean says:

Vick was probably raised around people who saw dogs as 1) status symbols if they were big and mean and 2) entertaining if they fought with other dogs. In that regard, he’s no different from some white people that I’ve known.