Tonight’s GOP debate in SC: The particulars

Posted by: ST on May 5, 2011 at 7:55 pm

In case you didn’t know it (it hasn’t been particularly well-publicized) there’s a debate tonight in South Carolina amongst some of the GOP candidates who have declared either officially or unofficially that they are running for the GOP nomination for President. Here’s a list of those participating in the debate:

Five candidates will take the stage — former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty, former Godfather’s Pizza CEO Herman Cain, former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson, former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum, and Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas).

Real estate mogul Donald Trump and Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn), won’t be on stage, but they have visits planned later this month. Former U.S. Ambassador to China Jon Huntsman is also scheduled to meet with [Gov. Nikki] Haley on Friday and will give a commencement address in the state on Saturday.

The debate starts at 9 Eastern Time and will be televised on Fox News. You can watch it on their website if you can’t get to a TV. South Carolina’s “The State” newspaper will be liveblogging it.

And speaking of GOP presidential hopefuls, did you hear the news that Newt does indeed plan on throwing his hat in the ring after all? I’m wondering how long that will last. Personally, I don’t think his candidacy will go anywhere.

Are you enthused about the crop of candidates who have put their names out there so far? I keep hearing a lot about Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels. In spite of his now-infamous call for a “truce” of sorts on social issues, I keep hearing from diehard conservatives that his social issues creds are solid. What do you think?

5 Responses to “Tonight’s GOP debate in SC: The particulars”

Comments

1. Chris in NC says:

It is way to freaking early for this stuff…

2. CZ says:

As an Indiana resident I like My Man Mitch a lot.

But I don’t think he has mass appeal.

I have been very, very impressed with Herman Cain even before last night.

Cain/Daniels could be a very powerful tag team.

Out with the old guard…in with the new.

Enjoy the tea…I’m buying : )

3. Phineas says:

Daniels has a great rep as governor of Indiana and he’s a solid fiscal hawk, as well as an education reformer, as we’ve just seen. Not being a social con, his call for a truce didn’t bug me, but I do worry that he may be such a cost-cutter that he would cut defense spending too much. I hope he does run, because I want to hear more about his views. He’s one of the few I’d take seriously.

Out here in the Oregon hinterlands, very few people have even heard of Cain except for us few conservatives. If he’s still in the race by the time we have our primary next May, he has my vote.

And I know right now it would be a real stretch, but I’d personally love to see a Cain/West ticket. I can already hear the LSM screaming “RACIIIIIIST!” because we picked two people on grounds of ideology instead of the color of their skin…

Of course, running Rubio as Cain’s VP would solve some of that.

Finally saw the program last night. My assessment, for what it’s worth:

Cain didn’t say anything to hurt himself, and doesn’t seem to have any severe baggage to carry except, maybe, that he supported Romney (and consequently RomneyCare) last cycle.

Santorum says some really good stuff and got nailed with a really hurtful piece of baggage, but did pretty well.

Pawlenty, as a former electe official, made some decisions as guvner that will haunt him as much as RomneyCare will Mitt.

Paul and Johnson are neither one viable candidates because of the “pureness” of their libertarian messages. Libertarians are necessary, but so is social control and reason.

Most interesting was the Frank Lutz portion of Hannity right after the debates, and how everyone in the focus group reacted.

Hope that’s worth two cents.