Group ‘concerned’ about corporate abuse to ask Ronald McDonald to retire

Posted by: ST on May 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm

For the cheeeldren, of course:

NEW YORK Ronald McDonald is having a midlife crisis.

His floppy shoes, painted-on smile and flaming-red hair may be a harder sell to today’s kids who are trading in their dolls and trucks for manicures and mobile game apps at ever-younger ages. He also seems out of step with McDonald’s Corp.’s new efforts to appeal to adults. The 48-year-old spokesclown has fallen flat in new ads this year, according to Ace Metrix, a group that tracks TV advertising.

[…]

A group called Corporate Accountability International plans to ask Ronald to retire at the company’s annual meeting on Thursday. It says Ronald encourages kids to eat junk food, contributing to a rise in childhood obesity and related diseases such as diabetes.

The group, which campaigned against the Joe Camel cigarette mascot in the ’90s and complained about Ronald as a role model at McDonald’s annual meeting last year, has stepped up its campaign. The group has taken out full-page ads today in the Chicago Sun-Times, New York Metro and four other papers to call for his head. The ads, signed by more than 550 health groups and professionals, carry the headline, “Doctors’ Orders: Stop Marketing Junk Food To Kids.”

And I’m thinking about taking out some full page ads myself, which carry the headline: “Toldjah’s Orders: Stop Taking Nutritional Decisions out of the Hands of Parents.”   Or, simply: “Get a Life.”

Anyone else with me?

11 Responses to “Group ‘concerned’ about corporate abuse to ask Ronald McDonald to retire”

Comments

1. Phineas says:

I’ll think I’ll be getting a Big Mac tonight, just because. :-l

The administration is 100% behind this effort, ST, because, well, they believe entirely in corporate bullyism (that is, they believe entirely in bullying corporations to get their own way).

After all, both the Obhammuds built their reputations on such.

3. Neo says:

I could see them getting the “Burger King” character to retire (or commit suicide in “Scarface” style), but Ronald McD is a staple of modern life. For McD to drop Ronald is for McD to closed shop.

4. Drew the Infidel says:

Carlos, you are on the right track. The Obhammuds detest anyone with more credibility than themselves, as if they had any. That is their “beef” with Ronald Mcdonald.

5. CZ says:

Dang right I want fries wit dat !

6. Zippy says:

I’m more concerned with the clowns in Washington, than the clown in McDonald’s.

Drew, how can you possibly use “credibility” and “Obhammud” in the same sentence? That makes less sense than liberal theology ideology!

Food does not cause obesity, inactivity does. Also, this “epidemic” is greatest amongst welfare children, so perhaps we should cut food stamps in half. That might help the problem more than retiring Ronald. – Lorica

9. captaingrumpy says:

It is lack of exercise and if not then corporate America will lose Billions on their gym membership.

10. Kate says:

I am so glad I had a burger at Mickey D’s last night….

I guess they want to shut down the Ronald McDonald HOuses for sick kid’s families, too.

11. Melon Head says:

Let me get this straight, it’s been bugging me for years…

Ronald McDonald, just like Joe Camel of years past, needs to be …uhh.. “eliminated” because of some undue influence he imposes on children.

But a few years ago, anyone who might have questioned the relationship of Bert & Ernie of Sesame Street(adult males, not only living together, but sharing a bedroom) was laughed down because “Hey, c’mon! They’re NOT REAL, they’re only PUPPETS!”

….or did I miss something?