In response to Bush’s 9/11 reax, teens show more maturity than liberals

Posted by: ST on July 30, 2011 at 10:23 am

It amazes me to this day how liberals still moan and groan about President Bush’s immediate reaction to learning the Twin Towers had been attacked. Bush has said more than once that the reason he kept his cool was because he didn’t want to jump up and scare the kids in the Florida classroom he was visiting. Liberals like this idiot have insisted for years that his reaction was not befitting of a CIC who had just found out his nation had come under attack. Some of the kids who were in the classroom that day believed otherwise:

“The president he just sat there, and his face — he just went dead,” says Jaimie, who was among the second graders in the classroom where President Bush learned of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

Jamie’s one of the kids featured in Nickelodeon’s Linda Ellerbee news special, “What Happened?: The story of September 11, 2001,” which debuts Sept. 1.

But, that president, George W. Bush, gets a few days jump on Jamie to defend his apparent facial blankness, on National Geographic Channel’s “George W. Bush: The 9/11 Interview,” premiering Aug. 28. It was, he says in that special, a conscious decision to project calmness.

The two shows are among a slew of programs across the TV landscape that will commemorate the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Towers and Pentagon. Ellerbee and Peter Schnall, producer of the Bush interview, came to Summer TV Press Tour 2011 to talk about their specials.

Bush’s reaction in the classroom on that day, when news of a second plane hitting the World Trade Center was whispered in his ear, was caught on videotape has been sometimes used to ridicule him. Jamie’s reaction to Bush’s expression is just one of the comments made by kids on the Nick special, including Sarah, whose sister was a passenger on hijacked United Airlines Flight 93, and another girl who says she heard 9/11 never happened.

Time Magazine did a story back in May on the children who were in the classroom with Bush on that fateful day and here’s what they had to say now:

Seven-year-olds can’t understand what Islamic terrorism is all about. But they know when an adult’s face is telling them something is wrong — and none of the students sitting in Sandra Kay Daniels’ class at Emma E. Booker Elementary School that morning can forget the devastating change in Bush’s expression when White House chief of staff Andrew Card whispered the terrible news of the al-Qaeda attack. Lazaro Dubrocq’s heart started racing because he assumed they were all in trouble — with no less than the Commander in Chief — but he wasn’t sure why. “In a heartbeat, he leaned back and he looked flabbergasted, shocked, horrified,” recalls Dubrocq, now 17. “I was baffled. I mean, did we read something wrong? Was he mad or disappointed in us?”

[…]

Similar fears started running through Mariah Williams’ head. “I don’t remember the story we were reading — was it about pigs?” says Williams, 16. “But I’ll always remember watching his face turn red. He got really serious all of a sudden. But I was clueless. I was just 7. I’m just glad he didn’t get up and leave, because then I would have been more scared and confused.” Chantal Guerrero, 16, agrees. Even today, she’s grateful that Bush regained his composure and stayed with the students until The Pet Goat was finished. “I think the President was trying to keep us from finding out,” says Guerrero, “so we all wouldn’t freak out.”

[…]

One thing the students would like to tell Bush’s critics — like liberal filmmaker Michael Moore, whose 2004 documentary Fahrenheit 911 disparaged Bush for lingering almost 10 minutes with the students after getting word that two planes had crashed into the World Trade Center — is that they think the President did the right thing. “I think he was trying to keep everybody calm, starting with us,” says Guerrero. Dubrocq agrees: “I think he was trying to protect us.” Booker Principal Gwendolyn Tose-Rigell, who died in 2007, later insisted, “I don’t think anyone could have handled it better. What would it have served if [Bush] had jumped out of his chair and ran out of the room?”

Indeed.

I think he made the right call then, and again and again in the months after the attacks of September 11. Even most on the left agreed, at least in the immediate aftermath of the horrific terror attacks on our soil that Bush performed admirably. But time has seen that opinion on the left wither. Even today they still talk about Bush’s alleged failure to “act decisively” in the ten minutes after he’d learned we’d been attacked, even though there is virtually no dispute that he indeed did just that in the weeks and months that followed as a shocked America looked for vengeance and retribution.

It says alot – and none of it good – about today’s liberals that the kids who were in that classroom, now teenagers, can show more poise and maturity about this issue than many on the left. Then again, there are so many issues out there where the left displays similar juvenile behavior (like anything pertaining to race, for example), so I shouldn’t really be too surprised …

9 Responses to “In response to Bush’s 9/11 reax, teens show more maturity than liberals”

Comments

If he had jumped up and run out, the same BDR folks would be clamoring that he should have stayed.

Had he sneezed, same thing.

No matter how he responded, same thing.

It all has nothing to do with GW, but with the mental derangement of those critics.

2. arcman46 says:

Bush was always in a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation. The Iraq war is a perfect example of this. With the information that almost all major intelligence organizations believed, had he not gone into Iraq and WMD were used in major American cities, there would have been a lynch mob outside of the White House. An American Thinker article a few years back explained another really good reason for going into Iraq. Iraq was a battlefield that we knew. It was perfectly suited to draw Al-Quieda in. No one has ever been successful in a war in Afghanistan. We were able to kill two birds with one stone. Take out Saddam, who had been a thorn in our side for years, and draw as many Al-Quieda members in as possible, with the least amount of American casualties. We may have not liked that war, but it was a war that we needed to partake.

3. Phineas says:

I recall reading about those kids’ reactions a awhile back, and something else was mentioned in that situation: that the Secret Service needed a few minutes to make sure the area was secure before he could leave. After all, they had no idea if there was a terrorist hit squad there to try to assassinate Bush.

A related ridiculous criticism is that he didn’t immediately go to Washington. Considering what had just happened and that there was no idea what might be coming next, including the possibility of a nuke going off, the right decision was exactly what they did: get Bush to secure facilities from which he could direct the defense of the United States until we could learn more.

There are plenty of reasons to criticize Bush in office, as there are with any president, but his actions on 9/11 and its immediate aftermath are not among them.

(And I am so glad he was president that day, and not Al Gore.)

4. ST says:

(And I am so glad he was president that day, and not Al Gore.)

Me, too – big time.

5. “I was just 7. I’m just glad he didn’t get up and leave, because then I would have been more scared and confused.” Amazing that the kids didn’t miss that serious trouble had happened. (Why do so many adults think kids are unobservant or unaware?)

I tried watching the linked video before reading the rest of your post, but got disgusted after the first sneer. Sorry I even gave the vid a hit.

And to Phineas and ST, despite whatever errors he made, I can’t tell you how many times over the last decade my wife and I have said to one another how grateful to God we are that we didn’t have Gore, or Kerry, instead of Bush!

Carlos, arcman46, and Phineas all sound the same truth in one way or another, that Bush was going to be criticized no matter what he did. It’s all just the rawest kind of left-wing propaganda, just like the media covered anti-war demonstrations heavily when Bush was in office, but now that Dick Milhouse O’Bluffy (who is not a Muslim or a Socialist) is occupying the Oval Office, if you only get the LaughingStock Media, you don’t know they’re even going on. Just like President Palin will be damned no matter what she does. :)

The protests you aren’t seeing on DoD Buzz
    [h/t to War News Updates]

6. RickS says:

Coolness under fire is definitely not the liberals’ strong suit. Their “men” are, for the most part, effeminate and really have no concept of what it takes to make a calm and rational decision under stress. It’s the reason why they seldom even get elected president these days. I mean, seriously, these are the people who elected our current loser “president” Barry 0zer0.

“It says alot – and none of it good – about today’s liberals that the kids who were in that classroom, now teenagers, can show more poise and maturity about this issue than many on the left.”

Heck, I’ve known many a two- and three-year old who show more maturity about everything than many on the left show anytime!

Pretty words strung together nonsensically are still nonsense, and BDR brings out the most in all of them.

8. George Robinson says:

All the above demonstrates the why of my new policy. I no longer speak to people who know people who speak to liberals. To clarify for those who criticize the harshness I do here more clearly define; LIBERAL–A subhuman species unable to survive on its’ own. PROGRESSIVE a liberal who thinks the misshapen lump between its’ ears is a precursor to a brain, rather than a carbuncle. MARXIST; the closest a sub human can come to honesty, admitting up front IT is a thief.

9. Jim McDonald says:

From the mouth of babes… Thank God these kids can think for themselves.