Posted by: ST on August 22, 2011 at 9:04 pm

The Associated Press reports the most unshocking news of the day: Topless protests attract more curious bystanders than actual protesters:

ASHEVILLE, N.C. A North Carolina protest proves that a demonstration with bare-breasted women demanding the right to go topless will draw a crowd.

Dozens of women protested topless in downtown Asheville on Sunday. Police estimated the crowd that gathered to watch reached up to 2,000. Some people said they agreed with the protesters. Others said the protest was embarrassing and crude.

Y’all know where I stand on this one.

The Asheville Citizen Times had an amusing write-up of the protest (a couple of photos are included as well):

Like many in attendance, Asheville resident Gus Gustafson said it was curiosity that attracted him to the unusual spectacle.

“I’m not for it or against it,” he said. “But if the girls want to show their breasts, that’s fine with me. In a way, I think it’s good for them.”

Sunday’s protest was one of several across the country organized by the group GoTopless.org, which maintains that laws and social stigmas against women baring their breasts in public are unfair.

“Wherever men can do it, why not?” said a topless Debi Davidson, 57, of Asheville. “Why not take your shirt off just wherever men are allowed to?”

While North Carolina has no law against women baring their breasts in public, some states and cities do.

[...]

Wearing a black bra and plaid shorts, Jonas Phillips said he was there to support equal rights.

“There is more than this whole breast thing,” the Asheville resident said. “I’m here to support equality for women.”

[...]

Shanda Panda, a 38-year-old Asheville woman, said she was comfortable being topless.

“I have faith in men that they can control their responses to seeing a breast,” she said. “I think it’s important to empower women to be comfortable and feel safe being topless.

“And I enjoy being topless. It feels good — the wind on my skin.”

I wonder if that wind in between her ears feels just as good? 8-|

I have never understood the “if it’s ok for men can do it, why isn’t it ok for me to do it, too?” argument. I have seen this argument most often made when it comes to the issue of casual sex. “Feminists” don’t like it that a woman is considered “loose” if she has multiple sex partners before marriage, whereas with men it’s “he’s just sowing his wild oats.” While there is indeed a double standard there, for decades “feminists” have sought to erase that double standard by suggesting that it shouldn’t be any more of an issue for women to have multiple sex partners than it is for men. You see, instead of advocating raising the standard for men, they advocate lowering it for women – and for that lowering to be “acceptable” in our culture … all because men can get away with doing something we can’t.

Same same on the issue of a woman getting sh*t-faced drunk. Hey, popular culture says that it’s “acceptable” for guys to do it, so why not women?

Honestly, I’m surprised “feminists” haven’t sued God himself for discrimination on the grounds that He did not give them “male body parts” – ahem.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture. It’s amazing when you consider that one of the core complaints that radical feminists have about men revolves around the bigoted belief that men are nothing but immature little boys dressed up in male clothing, waiting to jump the bones of some innocent, unsuspecting woman. Yet these same feminists who rail against the alleged juvenile behavior that they say is standard operating procedure for men fight tooth and nail in the court of public opinion to … be just like them.

You really can’t make this stuff up.

13 Responses to “Narcissistic Feminism Alert: Asheville topless protest sees more gawkers than protesters”

Comments

1. foxmuldar says:

I bet these mumbnuts that want to go topless are probably on the side of those wanting to allow sharia and islam here in America. If so they best do a little research on what muslims do to women who bare any parts of their skin in public. They should be glad they have the freedom to demonstrate. Something they wouldn’t have in muslim countries.

2. Xrlq says:

May be some jurisdictional problems with that, not to mention sovereign immunity. And besides, who are we kidding? Women can get all the male body parts they want. :p

3. ant says:

In reality, how many places are MEN actually allowed to go topless. I’ve never seen topless men in restaurants, movie theaters or subways. The idea of shirtless, male construction workers is mostly media brain-candy, I’ve worked construction,I know, our shirts are on 97% of the time,it’s protection and cleanliness, unless you’re outside framing a new home on beachfront property,etc. So, basically what these women are protesting on the city streets for is to be topless somewhere like, the beach or the pool or the shower. Go for it and then please be quiet.

But…but…but…What, no “film at eleven” for us?

Seriously, though, in my mind (being from the era of “bra-burners” and such), my guess is that 99% of them were butt-ugly with sagging boobs, and the 1% that isn’t probably have some serious mental problems no one in their right mind would want to deal with in a relationship.

Been there, done that, it ain’t pretty.

5. FrankNitti says:

i’m all for the coed having the right to bare her breast…

not so much

6. bill glass says:

There’s always a line, and always somebody or some group that wants to move the line up or back. I guess having females show a bit more wouldn’t really hurt anything that much. It might even help lessen the overboobification ( new word ) of american males.

7. John says:

I think it is a non-issue as long as it doesn’t tie up traffic.

8. Bob says:

Rather old protest becoming new? Back in the late ’60’s or early ’70’s a young lady made lots of news by marching through downtown Raleigh topless. A judge (state supreme court?) declared that women’s breasts were not “private parts.” 40 years later and we are still going round over it?

9. No surprise there weren’t too many “protestors”. Protesting topless laws in a city where women going topless is perfectly legal, is dumb. It’d be like Rosa Parks protesting Jim Crow laws by sitting at the front of a bus in NYC.

Oh well, I guess it just proves that Asheville is so awesome people have to find SOMETHING to complain about ;)

10. Severian says:

Why am I reminded of an old ZZTop song, “wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole!”

Like 50+ yr old fat guys wearing Speedos, why is it always those who shouldn’t that do? Desperate little useless narcissists so starved for attention.;)

11. As they say at Ace of Spades, VIDEO OR IT DIDN’T HAPPEN. Oh, right… of course there’s video. The guys in bikini tops, now that’s disturbing.

Mores (not morals) change, and I am glad. Do we really all (women AND men) want to be covered neck-to-ankles at the beach again? These women in Asheville are safe, and that’s nice. Where civilization reigns, full nudity in certain contexts need not be provocative, sexually inciteful, or degenerate. That woman reporter who got gang-raped in the Cairo riots met the harsher truth about cultural context, location, and appropriateness.

And where obesity reigns, I’m sort-of retro: bring back the neck-to-ankles thing!

Long additional meandering bunch of other salacious salient thoughts deleted. I’ll edit, illustrate (ahem! tastefully), and post them later at my site, if I get a round tuit.

Meanwhile, for ladies only, here’s a video about getting men to look you in the eye, and you know what I mean.

12. Jim McDonald says:

I guess they could have gotten Dolly out there, that way they could of had a protest & swept the street at the same time.

13. austin says:

If no one is hurt in an event, then the govt. or other citizens have no right to dictate what a person can do. end of story