There’s got to be some mistake

Posted by: Phineas on March 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm

**Posted by Phineas

I mean, our far wiser, morally superior liberal brethren can’t be more intolerant of those who disagree than moderates and those evil conservatives, could they?

As Richard Dawson used to say, “survey says!

Study: Liberals More Likely To Block Online Friends Over Political Disagreements

People with liberal views are almost twice as likely as conservatives to unfriend someone on social media over political disagreements, according to a new Pew Research survey.

In every category, people who identified as liberal were more likely to shun their connections over political disagreements. Twenty-eight percent of liberal users have unfriended or blocked someone, while 16 percent of conservatives and 14 percent of moderates admitted to doing the same.

I’m really not surprised, though. As I wrote a friend this morning:

It’s [because of] their outraged self-perception of their own superior virtue: they can’t handle it when it’s pointed out to them that the facts don’t justify their faith in progressivism. Also, because they believe they’re on the side of the angels [i.e., "progress"], anyone who disagrees must be evil, or at least a fool espousing evil.

And not just online. I have a number of liberal friends and acquaintances who are sent (and I only exaggerate a bit) into sputtering paroxysms of indignation at the merest suggestion that, for example, the welfare state has harmed African-Americans more than it helped, that private accounts would be a good reform for Social Security, or that the New Deal was an overall failure. They don’t just disagree and offer counter-arguments (or wave away yours with a simple “nonsense”); they act like you’ve just sprouted horns and a pointed tail.

Not that this doesn’t happen on the Right, to be fair. I’ve several times online run into “True Conservatives” who meet any disagreement with all-caps shouts of “RINO!” and worse. There seems to be a certain subset of people who get their sense of self-worth from their politics and who don’t know how to handle an argument when challenged. Call it a question of maturity.

But, as the Pew study suggests, the intolerance is far more common on the Left than on the Right or in the Center. Along with a lack of maturity in some, I suspect, it has much to do with a problem at the core of the Progressive vision, itself: democracy requires disagreement, but Progressives are ambivalent toward democracy, hence they can’t really respect disagreement.

And so, in the end, their arguments come down to “shut up, he explained.”

(Crossposted at Public Secrets)

7 Responses to “There’s got to be some mistake”

Comments

Yea I know this feeling, especially during the Bush years and I was dealing with all of these pinheaded BDS liberals. After Katrina hit Mississippi and New Orleans flooded it was totally crazy. – Lorica

2. Tim Barnes says:

I have to admit to being an anti-liberal who kicks people off my fb when I can stand it no longer. In some cases, I want to remain friends away from fb, in other cases I don’t give a damn. I’m an intolerant old man and my blood pressure doesn’t need their bs. I know it’s not fair, since I post pro-conservative/anti-liberal articles, but that’s the way it is.

3. Zippy says:

A few of my extremely vocal conservative friends told me that they have been unceremoniously unfriended by a few progressives in their day (on FB).

The liberal friends and cousins of mine on FB tend to lash out rather loudly on ANYONE’S page they can vent on, while the rest of us more conservative types politely text one another privately about what enormous assholes they are… in a ladylike fashion, naturally.

4. I lost track of how many of my Lib friends blocked me or unsubscribed…

5. Marilyn says:

My college-aged kids love to get involved in political discourse at various forums they frequent. One of their great joys is to reach the point when their opponent begins name-calling and cursing. They will gleefully sing “Another One Bites the Dust”, LOL.

One of the myriad reasons I don’t have a fb page and never visit fb.

But to my point: on the conservative side of the name-calling, automatic rejection, etc., we have the fine cadre of Ronulans who won’t brook any argument that shows any negative about their hero. One could almost say they are as worshipful as their counterparts in the Hopey-Changey thing that flooded us 3-1/2 years ago and is still holding us hostage underwater.