A Kinsleyan gaffe is where a politician accidentally tells the truth

Posted by: Phineas on March 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm

**Posted by Phineas

And Joe Biden, bless his heart, just did it again. He admits the administration’s goal is a global minimum tax.

Now why would the Obama administration want this? Simple. With a minimum tax, revenue-greedy governments would not have to fear tax competition from jurisdictions with lower rates, thus eliminating any pressure for them to control wasteful spending and lower rates to attract businesses and the jobs they create, nor would they have to fear businesses skedaddling for more favorable climes.

You can see how this would be much more appealing to progressive statists than the alternative: lowering rates and giving up the control they give to government officials.

Interestingly, while the administration had rejected the idea of a global taxing power (Why give anyone else a cut of the loot?), Biden’s statement seems to say they’d be open to something along the lines of the OECD’s proposal for “tax harmonization,” essentially a “tax cartel” that fixes the market at the expense of private companies and individuals.

Good thing Joe is here to make sure we know the truth.

(Crossposted at Public Secrets)

9 Responses to “A Kinsleyan gaffe is where a politician accidentally tells the truth”

Comments

Just like every politician that’s been in D.C. more than four years, especially the jackass variety – never saw a tax (that they had control over) that they couldn’t take home to meet the parents and, of course, still respect in the morning!

2. Ken66 says:

I disagree with Biden politically at least 90% of the time, but he does, generally, mean what he says and says what he means. That’s why Obama and his NFM (Non Fox Media – thanks Ann Coulter) kissy-ups want him to shut up.

3. Harp1034 says:

The UN has been pushing for a world wide income tax for years. It would be on top of all the taxes we already pay.
    This would be a good first step.

Dear Lord, please keep this person alive and well, with all his faculties working as well as they have for at least the last five years. He may be our best chance to avoid a godless socialist society void of any meaningful freedom.

Amen.

Gawd I can’t believe he said that crap in my hometown. Why these dumbass Davenport Dems just didn’t grab a roll of duct tape and tape him from head to toe is quite beyond me. Their mayor is about as stupid a man as God graced the earth with. He decided one of the busiest streets in town needed these huge flower pots in the middle of the street. So when semis tried to make a turn on onto this street their front bumper took them out and the mayor then had to have them torn out. LOL Frickin idiot. – Lorica

6. Mitch says:

I have a basic rule that I don’t comment on any subject that I know nothing about. So, I’m on thin ice here. The only thing I know about Joe Biden is that he is a total idiot, which is the very reason Obama selected him for his Vice President. Obama himself being the idiot he is, didn’t want any competition. So, he selected as his Vice President, an idiot even dumber than himself. He thought this would be a safe position. And then Joe Biden opened his mouth and began to speak and Obama said, “Oh my God! Lock him in his residence at the Naval Academy and have pizzas delivered periodically. Don’t let him out unless I tell you to.” Joe Biden is on lockdown, Obama is busy destroying what’s left of our country, what’s not to like?

7. Yuri says:

Who is this “Kinsley” you speak of?

8. Phineas says:

Michael Kinsley, former editor of The New Republic (as I recall…) and formerly the Op-Ed editor at the LA Times. He once defined a “gaffe” as any time a politician accidentally speaks the truth. :)

9. Yuri says: