Romney as the GOP nominee: Are ya ready?

Posted by: ST on April 4, 2012 at 3:00 pm

With the odds increasingly unlikely that Rick Santorum will win the GOP nomination (I’ve read analysis at several sites that say at this point it’s a mathematical impossibility), it’s looking like we’ll get the guy we never thought would have made it this far into the game: Mitt Romney.

Finding it a little hard to stomach myself, but since it is imperative that we defeat the current occupant in the Oval Office in November, I’m gearing up for a brutal general election campaign season and the inevitability that I’ll have to defend him at some point against the kitchen sink Team Obama is preparing (and is in fact already) to throw at him. While I’m prepared to do so, I’m even more (and better) prepared to enthusiastically counter the lies the Obama administration will be cranking out about itself as reasons to keep our celebrity Prez in the WH.

To all – especially anyone else who shares my dislike/distrust of the Mittster – what are your thoughts at this point going forward?

16 Responses to “Romney as the GOP nominee: Are ya ready?”

Comments

1. Donna Temple says:

I will gladly take Mitt over Obama. He was not my favorite, but Obama is DANGEROUS and MUST GO. I am all in for Romney if he is our nominee. We have NO CHOICE!

2. The Watcher says:

Guess it’s going to be like 2008 – hold my nose and vote for the guy I didn’t want. But, like Ms Temple up there, I know we’ve got to remove Obama’s hands from the levers.

Guess I’ll be looking more toward the Congressional races in hope that more conservatism shows up there.

I’ll take Mittens over Mr. Thinskin any day, even though I don’t trust him a whole bunch more than the commie/Nazi himself.

And every time Mitt (or a subsidiary of him, like one of his SuperPACs) attacks Duh-1 with a truthful ad, the Chicago thug will become more and more enraged. Hopefully, he will explode about November 1st and the whole nation will be able to see what a sniveling, sorry little oriface-in-a-rear-end he really is.

Now, if we can keep him from committing more gaffes than Mr. Gaffetastic, we should be OK. At least Mittens is on the right message: IT’S THE ECONOMY, MR. EDUCATION-IS-EVERYTHING!!!

4. Great White Rat says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I do not trust Romney, but I’ll take him over Obama. Like The Watcher, I’ll hold my nose (again) and vote for him. What he won’t get from me is money.

The money, the enthusiasm, and the focus will go to the congressional campaigns this year. Regardless of who wins, we will need Capitol Hill to be our bastion for the next four years. Not exactly a comforting scenario, but it’s our only option at this point.

5. Wendy says:

Yes – I am more than ready. I guess I’m the black sheep here – I’ve always been for Mr. Romney – not a perfect candidate, but, in my opinion, far superior to Rick Santorum who is nothing more than a whiner and like it or not, he was never going to win – no chance, no how. While I think Gingrich is incredibly bright – he simply has too much baggage and although his wife isn’t running – she’s just too much to take. Heard her enough on Fox News with Greta – don’t want 4 years of that duo. I’m confident that Mr. Romney will have his feet held to the fire (especially if the articles I read are correct that the Senate may well flip or be even tighter). I would like to see Mr. Gingrich in a cabinet position – I think he would be a great energy secretary – but that’s a discussion for another day.

ST – I do appreciate all of your analysis and the contributions you make to this site. Don’t always agree, but I know you do your homework. Keep it up.

Ya know the difference between Gingrich and Obama, Wendy? Other than the fact Gingrich is provably a natural born citizen?

Mr. Gingrich is incredibly bright but makes really dumb mistakes. People expect really bright people to not make such mistakes.

Mr. Obama just makes incredibly dumb mistakes, and it surprises no one with a lick of sense because they already know he can’t dress himself without instructions daily.

7. mitch says:

ST, you asked for our thoughts at this point going forward on the subject of your post. I have read the others and I respect them for their thoughts. As for me, I have never liked Mitt Romney. I’m not really a good judge though, because I don’t like Politicians in general, Democratic or Republican. To me, Politicians have always been one level lower than used car salesmen. The difference between the two, is that the used car salesman somehow convinces you to sign a contract that is not to your best advantage. But at least, that’s the extent of it. The Politician, on the other hand, convinces you to vote for him and over the next five or ten years, he takes money out of your pocket for as long as he remains in office. Unlike the used car salesman, who is obligated by a contract, the Politician has no such contract. Oh, he made promises to you to get your vote? Promises in Washington are worth less than spit. That is exactly what Romney’s promises are worth. It has been my objection to his candidacy from the very beginning. He is the quintessential Politician. He never opens his mouth, without first testing the wind, to see what effect his comment might have on the voting populace. Bottom line, I don’t trust him. Is he better than the alternative? Absolutely. Will I vote for him? Absolutely.
    Would I rather have someone else? Absolutely. You see, we really don’t have many choices left to us at this point. The choices we had in the beginning, so many months ago, have all been taken away from us by the Progressives and the Leftist media. By design. This candidate is not someone we selected. This candidate is someone they selected. Because they think Obama can defeat him in an election. And they are right. The Obama machine has been training for months to defeat just this one man. The others were a question mark, but this one is a slam dunk, which is why the media worked so hard to get him to this point.

If Mitt Romney is elected as our next President, I will apologize on my hands and knees to all of you, but I don’t expect to have to do that. Because I know what Obama knows. Obama will eat him for lunch.

8. mitch says:

Carlos makes a good point. One we should consider. As Conservatives, we have no problem serving judgement upon our Conservative Politicians when they stray from the principles we endorse. Progressives have no such conscience. In a driving rainstorm, a Progressive could say, “look at the sunshine!” and everyone would agree. Progressives are actually like a school of fish in the ocean. One turns, they all turn. There is no such thing as individual thought. This is the stuff Socialism and Communism are made of.

On any given evening, my wife and I discuss Politics. We don’t watch television, because we have no television service. I cancelled it because we never watched it anyway. We get our news from the computer and we read books. Really backward, I know, but you would be amazed at how your life changes once you ignore television.

In our current society, Newt Gingrich, who is probably one of the most intelligent people in Washington, stands as a lonely sentinel. He has a knowledge of History that is sorely lacking in our other Representatives. He has a nearly photographic memory. He can tell you word for word, something that happened on the House floor twenty years ago. Obama can’t remember what he had for breakfast this morning. But we are more interested in Newt’s former wives, than in what he might offer to this country in the way of leadership.

I’m sorry, we actually don’t have a shortage of good leaders in this country. There really is a good supply. The problem is the voting public. It is simply getting stupider and stupider every day of every week. Because of television and Hollywood. Add to that, that we have about the worst educational system in the free world and I think you begin to see the problem we are facing.

The Founders never envisioned this happening. They really thought we would get smarter with time. They thought this nation would build upon the collective intelligence that they themselves, represented. You have to admit, there was a lot of collective intelligence represented by what the Founders and what they had to say. They thought we would move to the next level. They had confidence in their progeny.
    If, by some miracle, they were able to come back here today and see what we have done with the dream they left us, I would not want to be the one to tell them we boggled the job. Let that ugly task fall upon someone else.

9. Drew the Infidel says:

Not just ready but registered and ready. The only thing worse than Obhammud is more Obhammud. Kind of like the old joke, “You know what that white stuff is on top of chicken s–t? More chicken s–t!”

10. CZ says:

I get it. The establishment won. Romney being shoved down our throats was their way to thwart any tea party challenges. At least for this election cycle.

I will proudly display his yard sign when the time comes.

11. Ken66 says:

I’m with the hold-my-nose crowd here, but Romney is better than nothing, though not much. This whole thing reminds me of a couple of mantras at the 1980 GOP convention:
    “America does not need four more years of Jimmy Carter.”
    “It’s time for him to go.”
    Say both with a sneer.

12. Ken66 says:

Too bad I can’t, as far as I know, post the UTOTUS (Urinal Teleprompter Of The United States) cartoon I was able to hijack a while back. If I can, someone tell me.

13. Liz says:

We must focus on the cause and not the perfect candidate. I see our cause as greater than who would be perfect to carry it out. Good points about Romney are: He was a governer of a liberal state and still accomplished much (and perhaps crossed the isle too much for some of you, but I prefer that to the us/them of Obama); he was a business man and successful; he is a big family man; nondrinker; and if anyone wants to criticize his religion, especially if they voted for the O, I say, “Rev Wright spoke to you like he did to Barack?”

I think Romney will be fine….we didn’t have a perfect candidate!

14. Just Plain Bill says:

I am saddened by the previous comments. I am saddened by the fact that apparently people are willing to abandon their Principles for a chance of winning.

As for me, I will vote for myself as a write in before I cast a vote for Romney. He is no better than Obama, just a little slower at reducing us all to just another cog in the Machine Politics that are Elections have become.

I think that some have not paid attention to his record as Gov. of MA.
    Examine that record and you have no hope that he will govern any differently than he did then.

15. Teri Pittman says:

Romney is not my first choice. But here’s the thing, for those of you who say he’s no better than Obama. You’re wrong. He’s not arrogant. I don’t see anything that makes me think Romney is arrogant or thin skinned in the way that Obama seems to be. Romney will allow Congress to make law and the Supreme Court to judge on constitutionality. He will not inject himself into discussions about innocence or guilt in local crimes. He will not sneer at the folks who go about their lives and just want the government to leave them alone. He won’t make secret deals with the Russians to disarm. In fact, if you think about it, I’m sure that you can come up with your own comparisons between the two. I’ve seen too many elections, where folks decided to sit it out because they didn’t have the perfect candidate. Or worse yet, they said “let’s elect the worst candidate and then we’ll get the change we want.” There’s too much at stake here to let Obama have another four years to try and push through the rest of the things he wants.

16. Wendy says:

Liz #13 and Teri #15 – you both sound like incredibly rational individuals and I couldn’t have said it better.