Posted by: ST on May 22, 2012 at 6:54 pm

The Charlotte Observer reports today on some controversial remarks a local pastor made about gays and lesbians that have rightly sparked outrage:

A Catawba County pastor’s sermon in which he called for gays and lesbians to be placed in a form of concentration camp has spurred a protest planned at the church this Sunday.

A group calling itself Catawba Valley Citizens Against Hate says it plans a peaceful protest Sunday outside Providence Road Baptist Church, an independent Baptist church where Rev. Charles Worley delivered his controversial homily on May 13.

Worley’s sermon on Mothers Day has received more than 165,000 views on YouTube.

[…]

The church originally placed the video on its website, but it was removed late over the weekend. Providence Road Baptist’s website was not operating Tuesday morning, possibly due to the large number of people trying to access the site. But the video is still posted on YouTube.

It appears as if the May 13 sermon by Worley was aimed as criticism of President Obama’s announcement days earlier that he supports the right of gay couples to be married. Worley told his congregation that he couldn’t vote for a “baby-killer and a homosexual lover.”

After using Biblical passages that he said supported his argument, Worley then outlined a plan to put gays and lesbians in confinement.

The 71-year-old minister suggested building a large fence, 100 or 150 miles long, he said. He said lesbians would be put in one area, “and the queers and the homosexuals in another, and have that fence electrified, so they can’t get out.”

“Feed ‘em, and you know what?” Worley continued. “In a few years, they’ll die. Do you know why? They can’t reproduce.”

Some members of the congregation can be heard saying “Amen” in response to the pastor’s remarks.

I watched the video (you can too – below). The congregation did not say “Amen” in response to his concentration camp suggestion, but some did say “Amen” to some later remarks that also should not be said in a Christian church.

Longtime readers of this blog know my position on alternative forms of marriage, which includes gay marriage and polygamy. I am a proponent of the traditional one man one woman couple marriage, because I think that is the ideal setting in which to raise a child. For a healthy balance, I believe a child ideally needs both a mother and a father to raise it. Longtime readers of this blog also know how I despise it when liberal pastors, and politicians like Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi grossly distort God’s word and try to use it to justify their support for gay marriage. I’ve said more than once that I believe the term “liberal Christian” is an oxymoron. I’ve also made it clear in prior posts that the church is not the place to be “politically correct” about any issue. The Bible is very clear as to how “tolerant” God is of any sin, including adultery, idolatry, homosexuality, etc. Which is to say He is not tolerant of it at all, and wants to you to ask for forgiveness for your sins and accept Him as your savior.

But I also despise it just as much – if not more so – when conservative pastors use the pulpit to preach about homosexuality in a way that goes against Jesus’ teachings. What Rev. Worley did is one of the worst things a pastor can ever do, if not THE worst: In short, he played God. In essence, what he said was (paraphrasing): “If I had my way about it, gays and lesbians wouldn’t be able to wait for God’s judgment at Heaven’s gate. I’d take care of them myself.” It was as if the pastor fantasized about gays and lesbians starving to death as a way for he himself to purge them from society.

This is highly offensive to me both as a conservative Christian and as a human being.

The way things work from a Biblical perspective, as Rev. Worley should know, is that all sins are equal in the eyes of God (with the exception of the sin of not believing) and that only God himself is the decider of whether or not you get to go to Heaven, or spend eternity you-know-where. God puts your fate in your hands: If you want to go to Heaven, you ask forgiveness for your sins and accept Him into your heart as your Lord and savior. But seeing as there is no perfect being outside of God, we’re all human and we are prone to sin even once we have asked Him into our hearts. And we are supposed to ask for forgiveness daily as part of the growth process associated with being a Christian.

That includes ALL sins, btw: Worshiping false gods, being envious of another man’s property, cheating on your spouse, homosexuality, etc. Any (sinning) Christian who has accepted the Lord as their savior will have to ultimately answer to God for their sins when their time comes. They do NOT have to answer to the Rev. Worleys of the world. Their fate is NOT in the hands of any person here on Earth, especially a false god like Worley. It is not up to any pastor to decide which sinners get to stay here on Earth and which ones should die right now and go to hell.

When I watched that video, outside of knowing right away how wrong he was from a Christian perspective, all I could think about was: What if there were families in the congregation who had gay family members or friends? What if there were gay congregants in attendance that day? And their pastor is telling them he’d shove them and/or their loved ones in a concentration camp and starve them to death so they couldn’t reproduce, if he had his way about it! In my 40+ years I have gone to many a traditional Christian church and I have NEVER heard a single pastor at any one of them talk the way Worley did about fellow sinners, and certainly never heard them express a desire to take matters into their own hands. Worley is most certainly NOT representative of most conservative pastors.

People go to church to learn about the word of God, and to mingle with other imperfect Christians who are also learning and trying to walk along a righteous path. Churchgoers rely on their respective pastors to help gently guide them along a Godly path via their expert interpretation and discussion of scripture. Pastors who veer wildly off course when it comes to God’s teachings and who, in effect, have appointed themselves as the deciders of who should remain here on Earth and who shouldn’t are doing a tremendous disservice to congregations hungry for knowledge of God’s word, not to mention to those who are lost and who are considering turning to a church but who get turned off when they hear vindictive sermon’s like Worley’s.

Preaching about sin in all forms, its consequences, God’s intolerance of it in all forms, and what will happen to you if you do not ask forgiveness for your sins and accept the Lord into your heart is both a moral and spiritual obligation for every Christian pastor. Preaching about and encouraging hatred and non-forgiveness towards other sinners mixed in with fantasies about personally purging them off the face of the planet, effectively “promoting” yourself to a God-like figure and decider, is most definitely NOT – not from the pulpit, not in the pews, not anywhere. I am not ashamed at all to be a conservative Christian, but I AM ashamed of Rev. Worley.

10 Responses to “NC pastor performs a serious disservice to Christians in “gay concentration camp” rant”

Comments

1. @Tyler14us says:

Hi Sister,

A friend of mine on Facebook posted this earlier today, from HuffPo, and it’s been bothering me all day. He always posits himself as a skeptical conservative, but he ALWAYS posts the most left-wing propaganda, so he is fooling himself if he honestly thinks he is still a conservative. I usually just let it slide because I am on Facebook for friendly interactions, not fighting, plus he never gets a lot of likes for his stuff so I figure people can think for themselves. (Although on this post someone commented “Effing Baptists” which I thought was kind of bigoted).

Anyway I couldn’t help but THINK of a lot of replies I would have made. For instance, I could have said “I can post 3 links with leftists saying worse things than this in the last DAY”, and I could have posted those links. But then I thought about it and I thought any independent who was reading this stuff would probably be even more put off by my posting upsetting links. In the end I decided to let it be because what the pastor said was unquestionably wrong and anything I would say to argue would make my position look even worse. I hope I am not a coward for not arguing with him more often.

Anyway somebody else came along and commented on his post that other Baptist pastors have been condemning Rev. Worley and Worley is not representative in any way of all Baptists, so I thought that was good and probably less confrontational than anything I would have said. Okay I feel better now for having vented, thanks. Love your Twitter feed!

2. Chris in NC says:

Ok, anyone who says “again it” instead of “against it” is by far too freaking stupid to be taken seriously.

3. Chris in NC says:

@tyler14us, try being a Catholic, Mormon, Presbyterian or any non-baptist in the South. It’s fine until they find out, then it isn’t pretty.

Yeah, I’m sure this does not represent all baptists. SOME (not most) of the ones I know and work with and deal with on a daily basis would have walked out of that church. However, from what I have seen first hand, I have seen a heck of a lot more that WOULD stand by him than would not. That’s been my experience.

@st: “What if there were gay congregants in attendance that day? And their pastor is telling them he’d shove them and/or their loved ones in a concentration camp and starve”

I can assure you, just as jeremiah wright didn’t preach hate for just one day, this pastor has made this kind of sermon again and again and the ones that would be offended, have long since left that church. You may have never seen something like this in a traditional church, but I have, several times. It’s why I believe in Christ, but don’t attend church very much. I will go to church with people, to see what they believe, but after what I have seen first hand several times, I will never again visit a baptist or evangelic church for worship.

4. Tango says:

….am I the only one here that thinks this outrage doesn’t quite pass the “smell test?”

Think on that, my friends.

5. Chris in NC says:

Tango, what do you mean? Whose outrage? EBL: True that. This dude hates gays and people who aren’t his religion but all he can really do is rant… Ackmydinnerjacket is insane and will kill 100’s of his own just to get one infidel.

6. Drew the Infidel says:

At the age of 71 this so-called pastor should be acquainted enough with the horrors of the likes of Auschwitz than to be making insane comments such as this.

A Pastor without faith is a tragic thing. You have to believe that God, has this in His hands. That He can deal with the sin in our lives. That He can turn the hardest or most wounded heart from stone to flesh. Words like this are just silly and truly show a lack of faith that the Lord can save all. – Lorica

8. Tammy says:

I just learned about this pastor in the last hour and was mortified by his little “hate speach”! However, I was impressed by this writing as I feel it was very well spoken. It is fine for all of us to have our own beliefs and even express them but there is a right way and a wrong way in which to do so.

There are legal limitations to freedom of religion and freedom of speech and this guy, without question, went way too far! I am so sick of the hate spewing so call “christians”, who are merely playing God and feel justified in sitting in judgement of others.
    Again, this article was well written and put things into the correct perspective.

Signed
    “Only God can judge me”

FYI: I am a totally straight, god fearing female but still believes right is right, and wrong is wrong and spewing hate of any kind is just wrong!

9. Kendall C. says:

Where is the prayer for the souls of the lost and blind? Didn’t we receive His grace and mercy when we, as Christians, repented of our sins and turned to Christ? Then in return we’re required by our new King and Savior to show that same grace and mercy. NC pastor is far afield and has lost his way. I know what it is like to have family who are lost. You pray every day and love them no matter what may come. You can’t love them on the other side of that fence.