Posted by: ST on September 18, 2012 at 10:27 am

(NOTE: I’m working to fix the Tweet links in this post so that they show up as actual tweets. Thanks.)

Sigh. Via The Politico:

COSTA MESA, Calif. — Mitt Romney held a hastily arranged press conference here to engage in damage control hours after a video surfaced that showed him at a private May fundraiser describing 47 percent of the country as “dependent upon the government.”

The GOP nominee for president defended his remarks — first printed in the liberal magazine Mother Jones — while conceding they were not “elegantly stated.”

I am sure I can state it more clearly and effectively than I did in a setting like that,” he told reporters assembled quickly at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts before attending a fundraiser.

Romney said the video didn’t fully capture his views or his entire comments about personal responsibility and the role of government in society.

“I am talking about a political process of drawing people in my campaign. … My campaign is about helping people take more responsibility,” Romney said.

“This is ultimately a question about the direction of the country. Do you believe in a government-centered society that provides more and more benefits? Or do you believe instead in a free-enterprise society where people are able to pursue their dreams?”

Romney was responding to the furor surrounding the release of a surreptitiously taped video of him speaking at a closed-door, $50,000-a-person fundraiser describing 47 percent of voters as non-taxpayers so dependent on government services that they’re bound to vote for President Barack Obama in November.
“There are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it,” Romney appears to be saying in the video.

On a related note, Mother Jones has released “more” video on Romney’s thoughts on the Palestinian/Israel issue, which Politico correctly points out doesn’t stray much from previous remarks he’s made in public.

Not surprisingly, Romney’s blunt honesty about the disturbing level of victimhood in America and increasing dependency on the state had elite pundits and our mainstream media rushing to ….. condemn.

It is a sad day for America when politicians, who we can’t rely on to tell the full truth the vast majority of the time, actually get real for a change and instead of being praised for it are instead vilified. This is the country we now live in. Railing against the cycle of dependency and being candid about what voters you can try to appeal to provokes this nonsensical lynch mob anti-candidness bull sh*t. This is a backlash we would NOT have seen pre-1960s, before the era in which liberals went full steam ahead with their plans to act in the permanent role of nanny to Americans who they falsely defined as perpetual “victims of society” and therefore “helpless.”

The welfare system as redefined by liberals in the 60s has had a disastrous impact on the black community in particular, which any honest politico (liberal or conservative) will tell you, but has also had a negative impact on other families as well. I’ve seen it in my extended family, and once I matured politically and moved beyond thinking Uncle Sam “owed” me or anyone else anything, I saw first hand the effects generational dependency can have on a family.

This is not me taking a cheap shot at lower income citizens. This is not me saying most people don’t want to work. This is me talking the dire reality of the situation, and it’s time more politicians and other public figures in positions of power and/or importance STOOD UP AND DID THE SAME. Or the cycle will continue to get worse and there will be no turning back. The political correctness on welfare has simply GOT TO STOP.

Perhaps nothing exemplified the mainstream media’s predictable reaction to Romney’s remarks than ABC Nightline’s Terry Moran, who I had a spirited exchange with on the issue last night on Twitter:

Here’s the real story on his claim that about GOP states and welfare (hat tip). Highly misleading, to say the least.

And then my patriotism was questioned:

Any questions as to how the rest of the mainstream media (and their allies in the pundit class and the prominent liberal blogs) will frame this issue as it pertains to Romney from here on out? There shouldn’t be.

Update – 8:14 PM: I was so honored to have my back and forth with Moran documented by Twitchy Media. :)

11 Responses to “BREAKING: Politician refreshingly honest on a topic – media, pundits rush to condemn”

Comments

1. ST says:

In case the Twitter links aren’t showing up as actual tweets for you, I’m working on it. It worked fine for me when I published but now they just look like links.

2. WendyT912 says:

Thank you for the post. The actual Tweets are so helpful to people like me who need to see how it’s done. You’re a great example and a great American, Ma’am.

3. Wendy says:

How many of us sit around in our lunch rooms, living rooms and with friends and bemoan the very thing Mr. Romney said. He acknowledges he could have said it more elegantly, but the truth is – our society is becoming takers not givers.It isn’t just about money – it’s so much more, including but not limited to — it’s walking away from a home you agreed to pay for just because you have no equity (but can afford to make the payment); expecting free college; expecting free healthcare; using EBT programs to buy items that don’t benefit feeding your family; parents allowing their adult children to live at home without any expectation of paying any rent or helping with chores but staying mum when they party, have fake nails, get tattoos (just because they “feel sorry” for them). Common sense no longer exists. It’s a very sad day when the world is burning, the economy sucks and our Administration continues to focus on demonizing honesty, appears on feel good television shows on a regular basis and is basing re-election on being cool. Honesty hurts – and yes sometimes it comes out unglamorous, but we all need a dose of it.

4. Elegant schmelegant! It has gotten to the point a conservative cannot say anything without the corrupt media moving in for an attack like a pack of jackals. It’s like a oncoming divorce where anything will do to spark a fight; a guy wants two eggs for breakfast, one poached and one fried. His wife fixes them and he complains she poached the wrong one. It’s that bad.

One thing the LSM has not realized is the constitutional liberties that allow Mitt Romney to give his honest analysis of voter demographics are the very same liberties that protect their ridiculous blather.

5. Tex says:

It looks like Obama and his MSM propaganda ministries (ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, NYT, etc.) found the perfect distraction to take the voters’ minds off of Obama’s disastrous foreign policy, leaving the the U.S. ambassador to Libya completely unprotected in a chaotic Islamic nation known to have Al Qaeda members which resulted in his assassination, and Obama’s failed economic policies which has left the nation’s economy all but destroyed. You won’t hear any hard-hitting news stories about those things in the next 2 and 1/2 months.

And by the way, Romney is spot on. He’s just not politically correct. So he’ll be crucified by Obama’s above mentioned MSM propaganda ministries.

6. Paula says:

Sister Toldjah, GREAT Post! Thank you for that thorough analysis! Read the whole thing all the way thru the comments! I agree totally… now I don’t have to type it somewhere. I’ll just Tweet and email this :)
    Also, I think what #4 commenter said has wisdom and we as a nation MUST begin the painful but healing process by facing up to these truths and approaching dependency, even of our own families.. whom we love, with an attitude of encouraging, preparing for self-responsibility and therefore independence. That’s freedom!

7. Paula says:

One more thing. Sorry this is long.. EVERY person I personally have contact with, that still votes Democrat/thinks Obama is great, continually uses Democrat and #MSM talking points. IF they will allow discussion, I find they really don’t KNOW anything about what they support or anything about what conservatives whom they ‘detest’ support. I ask them their news sources… CNN, MSNBC. Even some ‘moderates’ think “Joe in the Morning” is the REAL news.
    To be honest, after much pondering, each and every one of these people, no matter middle class to wealthy… they all see thru the eyes of victimhood… think they somehow got shortchanged in life (loss of child, financial probs, divorce, illness, past abortions). They seem to have latched onto these things as their banner of sorts, their identity… as though Conservatives haven’t had same or equal hardships. Difference is, Conservatives take their licks and move on as best they can. They don’t wear their pain and suffering like an eternal excuse badge. In fact, the BEST people, the most beautiful people I know have risen out of ashes and found a way to use that to help others be stronger and courageous and whole again. THAT becomes their cause.. NOT victimhood.

8. tom says:

I don’t understand why you assume anyone receiving entitlements feel like they are a “victim”. Sometimes people just need a little help. The use of this term seems condescending.