#Debate2 Open Thread: Romney and Obama battle again

Posted by: ST on October 16, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Ready to rumbleAre you ready for Round 2 in the Presidential Debate Sweepstakes?

Like a lot of GOPers I’m a bit nervous tonight as we all know Obama is going to come out “swinging” after his widely panned poor performance in the first debate.  From my recollection, he did well in the townhall debate he had with McCain in 2008, but that was partially because McCain came off like a nervous, rambling, unprepared politico in contrast to Obama who merely had to sit back and look cool and “concerned” about the future of America. On the other hand, Romney did fairly well throughout the 15 or so debates he had during the GOP primary contests and did more than well at debate one, so I am cautiously optimistic he will do ok tonight. He is someone who does well thinking on his feet, but townhalls can be tricky so you never know.

Hot Air’s Ed Morrissey provides what I think is probably the best preview of what to expect – and what not to – of tonight’s debate, but I take one exception and that is with his belief that what happens doesn’t have the potential of being a game-changer.   I think if Romney once again hits it out of the ballpark, the odds will increase that his numbers will improve in the all-important swing states as they have over the last couple of weeks, which will leave Obama to try to make up for lost time at the third and final debate, which will be about a subject Obama is arguably weaker on than the economy: foreign policy.  If Obama hits it out of the ballpark or at least “ties” Romney, he will be seen as being “on the comeback trail” by the MSM, who – as Sean Hannity humorously quipped earlier today on his radio show – already have their “comeback trail” articles written and are ready to hit the “send” button on them no matter the outcome.

Narratives and all that.

What are your predictions as to what you think will happen tonight?

Can’t get to a TV? Watch the debate online via CSPAN.  I’ll be livetweeting it. “Game time” is 9 PM ET.

17 Responses to “#Debate2 Open Thread: Romney and Obama battle again”

Comments

1. Tracy Bengtson says:

I have to believe that, because Romney is prepared, experienced, practiced, and has done his homework, while O has not, that Romney will win. O may turn in a performance that energizes his base, as Biden did, but he has nothing to run on, except for lies and attacks against Romney, so I don’t see how he can legitimately win in the eyes of most of America. I think Crowley will help him as much as she can, unless he really begins to look like a loser, and then she may back off, as Lehrer did. I think the media will declare O the winner, unless he fails completely. I think complete failure is possible, but I’m not betting on it. This is the O campaign’s last chance, short of going to to war in the next two weeks, and he will make the most of it.

2. Jay says:

I feel cautiously optimistic. The townhall format makes me a little uneasy, but Romney is out doing townhall-like stuff all the time, taking questions from voters who aren’t pre-screened like the ones Obama used to do. Whatever happened to the carefully choreographed Obama “townhalls” we used to see all the time?

Anywho Romney is actually really good at debates. He is not as good at other aspects of campaigning but this is the one thing he is pretty good at so I think we should feel pretty good overall.

3. EBL says:

Here is my prescription for tonight! Make, Drink, Repeat.

And the race is over anyway, given the endorsement that came out for Barack Obama last night.

4. WarEagle01 says:

I feel cautiously optimistic. The townhall format makes me a little uneasy, but Romney is out doing townhall-like stuff all the time, taking questions from voters who aren’t pre-screened”

I feel the same way. I’m hoping Romney has been thoroughly coached to respond to the Obama talking points, i.e Bain, 47%, … The venue concerns me. A liberal University (BTIRM)on Democrat stronghold Long Island. After this is all over, someone really needs to ask Priebus and the Romney campaign people what in the heck they were thinking with these debates. First question: How stupid were you to agree that every debate moderator would be a liberal MSM type?

5. JD says:

Candy doing her best to shield Obama

6. It is a little over a half hour in and Romney has eased Obhammud into the wild blue; he has him arguing economics and finance about which he knows absolutely nothing. Candy is using her gargantuan presence to pose as bodyguard for Obhammud while he stands there telling bald faced lies about his background and upbringing. He’s groping!

7. Now Obhammud is “stepping in it” with gun control. All those millions of NRA votes just went bye-bye. He has already shown an interest in embracing a pro-Sharia curb on First Amendment rights but now is going after the Second Amendment. Makes you wonder which other of your constitutional liberties are hanging by a string.

8. Sefton says:

I still don’t understand why Romney keeps letting Obama get away with the statement “I stopped the war in Iraq”.

From the SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement) between the U.S. and the Republic Of Iraq, signed 11/17/08

– “This Agreement shall determine the principal provisions and requirements that regulate the temporary presence, activities, and withdrawal of the United States Forces from Iraq.”
    – “This Agreement shall be effective for a period of three years, unless terminated sooner by either Party pursuant to paragraph 3 of this Article.
    – “This Agreement shall enter into force on January 1, 2009, following an exchange of diplomatic notes confirming that the actions by the Parties necessary to bring the Agreement into force in accordance with each Party’s respective constitutional procedures have been completed.”

There are always points, lies and counterpoints in these debates. I expect the lies from Zero, but Romney’s fluidity on core issues bothers me. A lot.

Attempting to view this without a jaundiced or prejudiced eye, I would call the debate a draw, which means Zero may have stopped the bleeding from the first debate but he certainly didn’t gain ground or reverse the momentum, meaning basically that it will add up to a win for Mittens in the long run.

And why would Romney be aware of that agreement, Sef? The Obhammud administration and the propaganda wing of such (a.k.a., the LSM) have spent four years beating the drum of American retreat in Iraq, making sure everyone in the world knows it is he, Teh Won, who is responsible for getting us out of Iraq, and he alone.

10. Great White Rat says:

I’m pretty much on the same page as Carlos. No clear winner tonight. No empty chair tonight, but Obama’s supposed advantage in connecting with the crowd wasn’t on display either.

Yes, Obama lies through his teeth all through these debates – and even had Crowley covering for him on the Rose Garden question. CNN, incidentally, has already walked that back and admitted both Obama and Crowley were wrong.

What bothers me is that once Romney is talking about something other than the economy, he seems to fall back on talking points. I expected him to demolish Obama when the Benghazi question came up; instead, he landed a few soft jabs but no knockout. On some of the other questions – the ones about women’s issues, for example, he did his best to morph them into economy questions. That will leave him open to charges that he evaded the question, but then, it’s the economy, stupid.

Summary: closer than the first one, mainly because Obama didn’t spend 90 minutes staring at his shoes. I think Romney will need to be more agressive on the Libya questions next week.

11. Drew the Infidel says:

The best part of the debate is the exposure of the corrupt media since questions written by audience members, mind you, were directly aimed at Fast & Furious and Benghazi, stories the LSM has avoided like the plague. It was a foregone conclusion if Obhammud said two coherent sentences and made eye contact with one person in the room the media would declare him the winner. Crowley also fraudulently backed up Obhammud on having called the Benghazi attack an act of terror the next day in the Rose Garden. Not so; for days afterward on Letterman, “The Spew”, and at the UN he clung to the video line. Decision: Romney won.

12. L.N. Smithee says:

Roughly an hour after the conclusion of the debate, as I was making polite but pointed rejoinders and inquiries of people who bought into the Obamastration’s story line (pronounced lyin’) about BHO referring specifically to the Benghazi attack as an “act of terror”, I got “Twitter Gulaged.”

As of right now, my account is suspended, and I have yet to receive a specific reason via Twitter Support email. I don’t know what the procedure is for other Twitter users to intercede on behalf of someone unjustly accused of spamming or “aggressive following,” but if someone familiar with my writing on the web knows and can help out, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks,

L.N.

@LNSmithee

LNSmithee@gmail.com

LNSmitheeblog.blogspot.com

YouTube.com/LNSmithee

13. ST says:

LN, I’ll tweet out to Twitter about this.

14. Dorothy Palmer says:

The Governor caught the liar again and again last night. The Kenyan prince has only three weeks left.

15. L.N. Smithee says:

Thanks, Sister, for your help. Still waiting on the Twitter people to act.