BREAKING: President Obama wins re-election (With a note from Phineas)

Posted by: ST on November 6, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I can’t say I’m completely shocked by this, considering the mainstream media cheerleading, demagoguery, and covering for this President over the last several months, but to say I’m immensely disappointed is an understatement. This nation is going to the dumps, and President Obama is leading us there, and “key states” we needed to reverse course have kept him there to continue trashing this country.

Bright spots for NC tonight, however: It went red again, we picked up a GOP Governor for only the third time since 1901, and at least two US House seats.

We are still a deeply divided America – his win tonight is by no means a mandate, even though he will treat it as such.

As far as the “blame game” – I think there is plenty to go around in terms of what happened with the Senate races, and as far as the Presidential race goes Romney perhaps could have been more aggressive on certain issues, but I believe all in all that he ran a better, much more effective campaign than McCain did. But in the end, it wasn’t enough.

We’ve lost this battle, but the war continues. Never give up.

Phineas Butts In: My blog-buddy is more resilient than I, befitting a fine Southern woman. But… this one hurts a lot. Much more than 2008. I was sure Romney would win, I was reasonably sure we’d take the Senate, but now… Four more years of gridlock at best while Obama uses the vast administrative and regulatory powers of the presidency to advance the progressive agenda to the inevitable harm of the nation. Not to mention 2-3 Supreme Court picks, meaning our rolling constitutional convention will almost inevitably lean left. The “living constitution” will become dominant, and the words of the document will have no meaning. And then there’s the continued gutting of our military, the entrenchment of ObamaCare, massive scandals that will be swept under the rug. More of what we’ve already had four years of.

Perhaps I should give up any thoughts of political prognostication; I obviously stink at it and don’t know “my” people nearly as well as I thought. The Blue model is in obvious collapse… What were they thinking?

Still, as ST said, the battle goes on, and we mustn’t stop fighting for what’s right. A few days to pout and heal, then it’s back at it.

33 Responses to “BREAKING: President Obama wins re-election (With a note from Phineas)”

Comments

1. Jay says:

Stunned. I definitely read the tea leaves wrong.

2. Colleen says:

Yuck! My stomach hurts. We have a messed up country, messed up media, and re-elected an incompetent man to be president. I want to be a pilgrim and start over somewhere else.

3. Joseph says:

Four more years of federal court appointments, especially the Supreme Court. Goodbye, Constitution!

4. Dorothy Palmer says:

Nation is finished. It’s over.

Last post here. I’m emigrating while I can.

The black jesus’ re-election says much about the blacks and hispanics in this nation, as well as the women whose concern for sexual pleasure overrules the moral horror of the Kenyan’s love for infanticide.

5. Joseph says:

I hope I’m wrong, but I fear this may mean that America is turning leftward, economically and socially. If that’s the case, then we are in for some hard times. Pray!

6. Marilyn says:

I have not been this ashamed to be an American since Jimmy Carter. Only this time it’s worse. I am finding it very hard to believe that what this empty Marxist suit has to offer is really what people want.

We deserve whatever hits us next. Hurricane Sandy was a summer breeze compared to what is facing this country, we are destroyed.

7. Arkie says:

Can so many people in this country be this damn dumb? I don’t blame Romney. If living under Obama’s rule for four years didn’t convince people to vote him out, I don’t know of anything anyone could do to wake them up.

8. Marilyn says:

Sooo…Phineas…

What is there left to fight for? How can we keep fighting these losing battles? I don’t have the energy to keep wasting my life on useless things, and fighting the takedown of America is useless.

This was our last good chance. From here on, the leftists have it all.

9. Phineas says:

From here on, the leftists have it all.

I imagine 1964 felt much the same way. :(

10. Sefton says:

I’m with Arkie.
    It’s not Romney’s fault. Put the two candidates together and the country re-elects the lying, Muslim sympathizing, Cloward and Piven, Hollywood Marxist?

This sets up a seismic shift in the course of this country in just about every facet socially, politically, economically…

I’d like to be an optimist in some area, so I’m game if you got one.

11. Great White Rat says:

I imagine 1964 felt much the same way.

It did. And then it took another 16 years before we got a principled conservative president, and even then he was saddled with an obstructionist Democrat congress.

And we’re in much worse shape now, economically and geopolitically, than we were in 1964. The coming years will be dark indeed.

So what’s left? It’s obvious. Tomorrow morning we must go back to work to fight the battle, to the bitter end, if necessary.

12. Marilyn says:

Phineas, I’m glad you brought up 1964; I honestly wish I could remember it, I was only 10. I do remember the way I was ridiculed in school by the kids from the Democrat families who were the majority in our neighborhood.

My dad was a staunch conservative, dabbled in politics and ran for office. Had plenty of mud thrown his way including the infamous “…he’s a John Bircher, you know…”. My family supported Goldwater (still have the campaign buttons!) and it was not nice to be told by other kids that the guy my parents supported was going to bring nuclear holocaust upon the Earth and kill innocent children like us. I was terrified my parents might be wrong!

We have a greater disadvantage now than we had in ’64 I think. We have so many more people on government handouts or on the government payroll, we are almost outnumbered by them. More takers in this country than in Johnson’s time.

I sincerely ask, how do we combat those who are voting for the candidate who promises the most goodies rather than the one who supports liberty?

It seems insane to keep doing what we’ve been doing in the past. We lose every time.

13. Steph says:

I am stunned as well and very unhappy. However, the Bible does say that no person in authority over us is there by accident and that God can change/control that person’s behavior/heart. Look at the king in Daniel (can’t spell his name – the Neb guy – lol). So, I, for one, will be on my knees praying that righteousness prevails. I refuse to live in fear because the Bible also tells me/us that fear is not from God. The only I can do is pray and tell the truth to my family, neighbors and friends whether they want to hear it or not. When things get bad, and they will, I will tell them,”this is what you wanted; this is what you voted for”. I say these things with no glee but sorrow.

14. Wendy says:

Very disappointed – I started getting an uneasy feeling earlier today when I heard that approximately 50% of people polled somewhere still blamed George Bush for most of our problems. Romney is a very decent man and had the right heart – I’m tired of pundits and commentators saying what he should have done. I really wanted to have adult dialogue about our issues and perhaps he could have gone into more detail, but when 47% or more of the population are getting government assistance – it’s hard to overcome those who still want but do not want to take personal responsibility – and I am NOT talking about people serving in the military or the working class. I’ve met many working class low income earners in my job and otherwise – and most of them try to live independently and within their means.
    Too many people want something for nothing. I could go on – but I’m preaching to the choir here.

15. EBL says:

I feel sick…and Obamacare is no going to cure it.

16. Marshall Art says:

I’m not ashamed to be an American just because this doufus won a second term. I AM ashamed of some of my fellow Americans. At the risk of engaging in shameless self-promotion, I speak on my feelings at my blog, if anyone cares to read it. On some level, I can’t help but be a bit ashamed of our own selves for not finding a way to be more persuasive in our righteous arguments for our nation. But it is what it is (dammit) and it is true. We must take a few to lick our wounds and then get back at it. Indeed, we would have had to be more, not less vigilant even had Romney won, to keep him on the straight and narrow. Step up the letter writing (NOT emails) and phone calls to representatives, and encourage others to do so as well.

17. Being re-elected is like buying a judge; the trick to it is they have to stay that way. I’m proud to say I voted against Obhammud twice. That did not do the trick. Now let’s focus on Congress and elect more of the activist element as in 2010 until we get the conservative makeover so desperately needed.

18. Tango says:

….my faith in the American people was (obviously) misplaced. Our economy (or rather, what remains of it) goes off the cliff (very, very shortly). The middle east will explode in unprecedented fury. Stand by to reap it, folks!

19. LCVRWC says:

This really really hurts.

20. LCVRWC says:

This really really hurts.

21. andy says:

My brother, who is as far left a democrat as exists anywhere, has spent the last 4 years talking about how stupid the American people are. It seems he was right all along. I’m absolutely stunned.

22. Perry says:

We thrive when we have a robust two-party system when both sides are willing to work things out. Reagan is a case in point, and Clinton as well.

Republicans are losing the demographic race. This, in my view, was the main campaign flaw this cycle by Republicans. George W Bush was concerned that his party was becoming less inclusive; you folks did not listen.

It is also noteworthy that more money and well endowed Super PACs did not carry the day.

An ideology aimed at lifting all boats, and cooperation between the parties, is what this nation needs, starting today. Let us see if we can all step up to the task, finally.

Allen West needs to start to focus on his presidential run. :o) – Lorica

24. omapian says:

The American people have just chosen the 113 Congress of the US. That institution, both houses, is a bureaucracy burdened by the mistakes carried over from one session to another. Republicans have been playing nice with Democrats and they contributed to the growth of government. While this election loss is hard to take, a nation that consumes more than it produces is not sustainable.
    The assassination of JFK shook the resolve of people who were inclined to ask “how can I help?” and emboldened those who asked “What’s in it for me?”
    The real test for the Tea Party will be to keep their resolve. Eventually POTUS will run out of other people’s money and the common folk. like the forgotten victims of hurricane Sandy, will acknowledge government cannot provide for all their needs. When hope turns to despair, the country will need true leadership.

25. Perry says:

Omapian: I am thinking that you are not a part of the 47%. Your perscription would decimate them further still. I favor using Simpson-Bowles as a starting point, to work in a way to slowly increase austerity and increase taxes, at such a rate for both the we do not seriously impact jobs or our GDP. Based on the experiences of the Brit austerity approach, which is what you are suggesting, we would introduce another recession and loss of jobs. This would not be wise, in my view.

26. Sefton says:

This is a straw man that keeps being repeated by the left. There is no demographic divide based on “becoming more/less inclusive”. There is “We promise this group/sex/race will get special treatment” and “We promise equality for all and don’t see group/sex/race”.
    If Constitutional principles are shunned by one party and they win on that, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out where this country is headed.

Not sure this is a relevant point, seeing as how both campaigns spent a billion plus each.

How about just an ideology of everyone getting the some chance to succeed or fail, without the government being the puppetmaster. Cooperation? Like during the Obamacare fiasco? Like Obama signing executive orders left and right to bypass Congress? Why hasn’t the Senate proposed a budget to be voted on? How about Holder not hiding behind executive priviledge on Fast and Furious?

What you didn’t say is the ultimate truth – this country is deeply divided on ideology and will remain so. How either side can find compromise on obvious black and white issues is wasting time and both sides know it. Your guy won. Do your worst. Conservatives will just keep trying to put the country back on the right track.

Liberty isn’t just a pretty word for some of us.

27. omapian says:

Perry
    I am not advocating for the total collapse of our system of government, I simply made an observation.
    If POTUS would employe the same level of energy to fix the economy as he does to distributing the spoils of victory (honest graft), this nation has the human and natural resources necessary to avoid fiscal failure. If he chooses to continue digging deeper into debt, consent to this government will collapse. At that point the public will be looking for leadership and we risk mob rule if there is no organized group to pick up the pieces.
    I believe it is essential for the Tea Party to continue supporting limited government that derives just powers from the consent of the governed. This leadership is as important today as when colonists rejected the arbitrary authority of kings and clerics some 236 years ago.

28. Perry says:

I agree on such an ideology, but we don’t have that, and Republicans don’t want it either. Your party favors trickle down tax policy and off-shoring of jobs and investments, which have not worked for the American middle class, but have worked for the wealthy class. I suspect you will agree that having a strong and vibrant middle class has been successful in the past. We can get back to that by investing more in education and in infrastructure, but this will take time, i.e., vision. This should not be a right versus left issue.

Neither side helps our recovery by repeating the same mistakes. I don’t see a pathway to success for all Americans if we don’t get together to work on solutions, solutions which come from the people and from their representative government based on democratic principles.

29. Perry says:

omapian:

On your first point, I think we can agree that we are still recovering from a Great Recession, therefore attention has to be paid to those who continue to suffer through no direct fault of their own. Our economic collapse is like the Sandy strike: we must then deal with these phenomena, focusing on the victims. This costs money, and takes time.

On the Tea Party, their problem, I believe, is their unwillingness to seek compromise solutions. There is a misunderstanding, I think, that compromising to a win necessarily means concurrently giving up on principle. After the compromise, the principles remain resident in each participant, on each side, to be brought to bear in some future negotiation. Most difficult to deal with of all issues is abortion, because their are two (or more) lives intimately entwined which need to be reconciled, an impossibility! We then retreat by attempting to set priorities on who the deciders should be.

And then we have the national debt and the fiscal cliff. Of course we must come together to deal with this too. The operative expression is: ‘come together’

It has taken a century of incessant re-education in our government schools, a century of taking tiny missteps socially, politically and morally, a century of putting leftists on the SCOTUS and subsidiary courts, a century of gaining the foothold that has made a majority of voters (not Americans, mind you, just voters) dependent upon the largess of government instead of dependent on themselves.

It will take another century to re-educate our children, grand children, great-grandchildren, etc., to bring this country back to self-reliance and distaste for government that was envisioned by the Founding Fathers.

Hopefully, I’ll see my Lord and Savior before then, but I weep for my children for what they’re going to have to endure.

(BTW, just for clarification, unlike those who voted for Duh-1, my Lord and Savior’s name is not Barack, Barry or any other associated such name.)

31. Sefton says:

Where we agree is that it must come from the people through a representative government, and both parties – more often than not – are more about themselves than they are the people.

Where it fails is that one party, although hardly perfect, espouses more of the Constitutional principles that should be the foundation of said solutions. For whatever faults the Republican party has (and by the way, I’m not in the Republican party), they still have the platform of less spending, less regulatory intrusion, 2nd and 10th Amendment powers, a strong defense, etc.

The other party chooses to stay in power by limiting the motivation of the individual to empower themselves regardless of gender or race, pigeon-hole constituents by fomenting divisive indentity politics, conform to a collective/progressive mindset (and have separate party caucuses for those purposes; not to mention all the various lobbying from the race-baiting industry (NAACP, LULAC, etc.)), increase taxes AND spending… you know the rest.

And regarding your comment on the Tea Party, maybe you should look into them a bit more instead of following what the demonizing narrative the left chooses to make people believe about them. In a nutshell, the TP is about responsible and limited government, getting back to the principles of the Constitution. What’s so “extreme” about that?