Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. tells Boehner he is resigning from Congress

Posted by: ST on November 21, 2012 at 3:24 pm

And conveniently he does so two weeks after the election:

Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-Ill.) submitted a letter announcing his resignation from Congress to Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Wednesday, according to a Boehner aide.

“For seventeen years I have given 100 percent of my time, energy, and life to public service,” Jackson wrote.

“However, over the past several months, as my health has deteriorated, my ability to serve the constituents of my district has continued to diminish. Against the recommendations of my doctors, I had hoped and tried to return to Washington and continue working on the issues that matter most of the people of the Second District. I know now that will not be possible.”

Jackson’s resignation comes amid reports that he is being investigated by the Justice Department for allegedly misusing campaign donations to redecorate his home.

Reports earlier this month said Jackson was negotiating a plea deal with federal investigators that would require him to resign from Congress, citing health reasons, and repay the campaign funds.

Jackson’s office has not commented on the reported plea talks.

[…]

Jackson easily won reelection in his heavily Democratic district. He released a robocall asking his supporters to stand with him as he dealt with his health issues but did not take part in any other campaign activities.

Jackson has faced pressure in recent days from many Democrats, including Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, to speak to his constituents and assure them that he would be able to continue serving effectively in Congress.

Both President Obama and Emanuel endorsed Jackson in his primary against former Rep. Debbie Halvorson (D-Ill.) earlier this year.

If he’s truly ill, I hope he gets better but – as always – I question the timing.

Did the DOJ investigation on Jackson start before or after his primary? Just curious. In any event, the seat will likely stay Democrat (whether by appointment or by special election) as Illinois has this annoying habit of continually putting liberals – especially those of the corruptocrat variety – into public office over and over again. Oh well.

10 Responses to “Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. tells Boehner he is resigning from Congress”

Comments

1. Extirpates says:

The correct contraction for Barry’s House Boy is Bo’ner.

2. Aarradin says:

“If he’s truly ill”, He’s a Democrat, so – Mental Disorder.

“I hope he gets better”, He’s a black Democrat politician, which is the equivalent of being a Capo. His whole life has been dedicated to keeping as many people as possible, indeed increasing the population, slaves on Uncle Sams Entitlement Plantation. So, I wouldn’t hold your breath: there’s zero chance he will ‘get better’.

3. Bill says:

So, let me get this right…a total nut job was re-elected by liberals…what else is new?

4. Don’t let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you!

5. EBL says:

It would have been appointment before the election, it is now by a special election.

6. Dana says:

EBL: While senators can be appointed, the Constitution requires special elections to fill House vacancies.

For Representative Jackson, waiting until after the election to resign was what the Democrats wanted. Now, they can run a Democratic candidate in the special election, rather than worry about losing the seat to a Republican.

7. EBL says:

Thanks Dana. Although they could have also run a democratic candidate if he resigned before the election. And given where this house seat is, there was little risk of the Dems losing it. But that he is now gone is another reason to give Thanks.

Junior should have stayed in the same business as his daddy. That way his theft, graft and race-baiting would have been viewed by the public at large as acceptable and he wouldn’t have felt shamed into resigning.

9. Is this the waif Jesse, Sr. had out of wedlock with the church secretary or is it Santita?

Good riddance is all I have to say. This is all smoke and shadow as he is trying to avoid his ethics violation and any punishment that is going to come to him due to it. – Lorica