SC Gov. Haley narrows down list of candidates for DeMint’s Senate seat

Posted by: ST on December 11, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Via The Atlantic’s Political Wire:

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) has whittled down the list of people she is considering for Sen. Jim DeMint’s (R-SC) soon-to-be-vacant Senate seat to five people, CNN reports.

Her final choices: Rep. Tim Scott (R-SC), Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), former state Attorney General Henry McMaster (R), former South Carolina First Lady Jenny Sanford (R) and attorney Catherine Templeton (R).

Gowdy and Scott are both considered “rising stars” in the GOP and I would be perfectly comfortable, based on what I know about them, to see either replace DeMint when he retires to take the lead at the Heritage Foundation in January. Not sure why Jenny Sanford is on that list other than perhaps sentimental reasons. McMaster and Templeton I’ve never heard of.

As they say, stay tuned ….

5 Responses to “SC Gov. Haley narrows down list of candidates for DeMint’s Senate seat”

Comments

1. BobC says:

From everything I’ve read and found on tim Scott, I would much prefer his taking the seat.:)

2. Phineas says:

I’d be happy with Scott or Gowdy, in that order. McMaster may or may not be suited to the office (I honestly don’t know), but he was a primary opponent of Haley’s in the last election and endorsed her in the general. If he’s in contention, it has to do with South Carolina Republican politics, more than anything else.

3. Drew the Infidel says:

Having seen Gowdy in action on the Fast & Furious probe, his kick-a*s style and demeanor would be like a breath of fresh air in that staid and stolid Senate chamber.

4. Polly says:

Personally I prefer it not be Catherine Templeton though I don’t know her or much about her. But we already have way too many lawyers in Congress and herein lies many of our problems.

5. Jim says:

I would be very happy to see Scott or Gowdy. As for McMaster, I seem to recall that he was a pretty good AG when I was still in SC.