Weekend Open Thread

Posted by: ST on July 20, 2013 at 11:27 am

Got a lot of errand running to do today, so I may not be around much. Please feel free to use this thread to discuss whatever issue is on your mind. There’s certainly a lot to talk about this week!

Oh, and this happened to me yesterday on Twitter.

Actor James Woods

Heh. : )

Woods, it would appear, is a conservative. Maybe others have known that for a while, but it’s news to me. I will never watch his movies in the same way again. ;)

Hope everyone has an excellent weekend!

11 Responses to “Weekend Open Thread”

Comments

1. Jasper says:

Hi ST,

Are you aware that James Woods was on the same flight as the 9/11 bombers when they did their trial run? He reported them to the FBI. He was interviewed on Oreilly about it..

2. Robin says:

Lol! I felt a little silly for my “fangirl” squealing yesterday after Ace of Spades RT’d me. I don’t feel so alone now. As for Mr. Woods, he does appear to lean conservative, possibly libertarian. In either case, it’s encouraging to know that Hollywood is not lost completely. Movies are my hubby’s drug of choice, mine is music. Its getting more and more difficult these days to find someone I DON’T object to giving my hard earned dollars to… Sigh….

3. Jesse Garrett says:

It is encouraging to see more Hollywood conservatives and black conservatives “coming out.” Certainly it takes courage to do so given the incredible anger and hatred with which they are treated by those that consider them “traitors,” “house n*ggers,”and essentially “heretics.”

Instead of discussing the concrete details of a position respectfully and according to rules of logic, these “liberal by birthright” folk resort to bumper sticker arguments or they want to refight victories of the 1960s civil rights conflicts in attempt to relive their “Glory Days.” They can’t seem to understand the difference between institutionalized prejudice and individual prejudice. When all else fails they resort to the foulest language they can think of in some sort of attempt to “exorcise” the conservative devil out of their opponent.

Which reminds me of a very short book written a little after World War II by Eric Hoffer called “The True Believer.” (Great Book! Easy Read!) In that book Hoffer says that you CAN have a mass movement without a God, but you CANNOT have a mass movement without a DEVIL. Sister Toldjah, you are indeed a devil. :)

4. Steve Skubinna says:

Dunno if Woods is conservative or not – and that’s the way I want it. He’s smart enough to know what he gets paid for, and he provides it. He doesn’t use his position as a soapbox to lecture anyone, nor does he gratuitously insult people who don’t agree with him.

That he listens to ST is just a bonus.

5. ALman says:

Inasmuch as it’s open thread. I came across this and it deeply moved me. So I thought I would share it with you. It’s an example of the sort of unifying act much needed at home and abroad.
    Note the description of who’s playing and the date. Playing time is a min 12 secs.

6. Robin says:

ALman- thank you. Remembering that day, how horrifying it was, trying to come to grips with what happened and why, something beautiful occurred. It brought us all together.

7. Taking a different path here, has anyone noticed that 28 NFL players have been arrested this off-season (one for capital murder) with hardly any media mention yet they are always willing to pony up to give Tim Tebow the lynch mob treatment?

8. James Woods and his tweets got a real positive shout-out on FNC’s Fox & Friends this morning.

9. Sefton says:

Drew – seems like a sign of our times. A bad sign.
    Sports media bias and pedestal lifting, along with the hero worship Tsarnaev and his ilk get (cop killers, thugs who assault neighborhood watchmen, etc.).
    Lawlessness and its glorification seems to be the soup du jour of our day. Of course when we’ve got a president and a DOJ that encourage it…

10. Drew the Infidel says:

@Sefton–Agreed. One thing that really surprised me was no one making reference to the fact that being on the cover of Rolling Stone used to be a real mark of success, as that old rock song “On the Cover of Rolling Stone” by Doctor Hook and the Medicine Show evidenced.

Cursing is a sign that 1) the cursor has a small mind, 2) the cursor has a small vocabulary, and 3) the cursor has run out of any logical arguments.

It’s disgusting, it’s certainly not something that should be done in gender-mixed company (it shows an incredible disrespect for “the weaker sex”), and generally is done by people too self-absorbed in their own cuteness to realize just how obnoxious it is.