Bob Costas #Fail: Sports commentator denounces #Redskins nickname

Posted by: ST on October 14, 2013 at 10:38 am
Washington Redskins

Should they keep it or change it?

Right in the middle of the Sunday night football game between the Redskins and the Cowboys.  Via Fox News:

Bob Costas of NBC Sports waded into the controversy over the Washington Redskins nickname Sunday night, devoting a commentary to the topic at halftime of the nationally televised game between the Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys.

“Think for a moment about the term ‘Redskins’ and how it truly differs from [other team nicknames based on Native American images],” Costas said. “Ask yourself what the equivalent would be, if directed [at] African-Americans. Hispanics. Asians. Or members of any other ethnic group. When considered that way, ‘Redskins’ can’t possibly honor a heritage, or a noble character trait, nor can it possibly be considered a neutral term.

“It is an insult, a slur, no matter now benign the present-day intent,” Costas continued.

The Redskins were playing for the first time since President Barack Obama told the Associated Press in an interview last weekend that he would “think about” changing the name if he owned the team. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, who has previously vowed never to change the name, responded by sending a letter to season ticket holders claiming that the name was “never a label. It was, and continues to be, a badge of honor.”

You can watch the video of Costas’ remarks here:

Did it ever occur to the hot shots at NBC Sports to allow a “counterpoints” segment to any of Costas’ left wing rants? Of course not. That would mean people having to judge for themselves between two contrasting opinions rather than telling them what to think, and – oh no – we canNOT have that anyone thinking for themselves. :(

If you’d like to let NBC Sports know what you think, make sure to post a comment on their Facebook page, Tweet them, or email them.

Related/Flashback: Say Anything Blog – 5/31/13 – CBS Columnist: Indians Who Like The Washington “Redskins” Nickname Are Uncle Toms

9 Responses to “Bob Costas #Fail: Sports commentator denounces #Redskins nickname”

Comments

They should change it…. Washington DC does not deserve to have a name that represents such a noble people. When a city is so full of lying scum of the earth pathetic lowlifes as DC is, they deserve to be represented by that name…. So it should be the Washington DC Scum suckers. That is more fitting. – Lorica

2. ALman says:

Oh, my! The light has dawned on this man who has lived in darkness for so long (wouldn’t it be interesting to tabulate the number of times he has used the term “Redskin(s)”). Now, he wishes to enlighten us with the way of truth and noble living.

The future is no longer dire and bleak. The sun will shine tomorrow and the birds chirp for glee! Mr. Stompy-Foot, do what you may, no matter to me. Bob Costass has seen the light!

3. Lefty says:

I was going to rant about why the name should be kept, but I’ve changed my mind on the matter. I now fully endorse Lorica’s stance.

4. John W says:

I don’t remember Mr. Costas chastising the Redskins owners for not changing the name of the team in the last month or two, or in the last year or two, or even in the last decade or two. And I certainly don’t remember Mr. Costas blasting himself for staying silent all these years over the decision of the Redskins owners to not change the name of the team. He has been with NBC Sports for more than 30 years, so why haven’t we heard anything from him previously on this issue? Is he saying that the name Redskins didn’t used to be an insult or a slur, but now it is? The team and the name has been around since 1937. Was the name ok for the first 75 years of the teams existence, but not now? Is he going to want the team’s fight song, “Hail to the Redskins” changed as well? Yes, this is quite the #Fail for Mr. Costas.

5. As I have said before, if anyone from the terminally offended class wants the Redskins to change their name, they should do what owner Dan Snyder did. Buy the team and call them whatever you wish. Put up or shut up!

6. Patriot Jim says:

I’ve sent the following message to two contacts at NBC:
    *******************************************************

NBC Sports:

I will not watch another NBC Sports program unless swift action is taken against Bob Costas. Not only is his far left liberally-slanted arrogance sickening, but it also certainly does not belong in sports.

I call for his immediate resignation from NBC Sports. Such commentary and behavior is not to be tolerated so I call upon you to take the appropriate action. Until then, I will – along with my plea to others – refuse to watch any programs related to and covered by NBC Sports.

7. Chick says:

I have seen two interesting options (I can’t claim that they are my idea, but don’t know who to attribute them to):
    1. The Washington Redskins should change their name. Drop the Washington. It’s too embarassing to the proud Native American people.
    2. Keep the name, change the logo to a Russet potato. Now Redskins accurate and “non-offensive”.

8. Cowboys guy says:

Why don’t they change to a more fitting and less controversial name?
    May I suggest the Washington Foreskins?

9. ALman says:

Because of the (better not say it; ST might kick me off) politicans who inhabit the city? Or, there’s always the Washington Reds as that’s the direction we seem to be headed.