Wishing the Rev. Billy Graham a very happy, blessed 95th birthday

Posted by: ST on November 7, 2013 at 10:32 am
Rev. Billy Graham

Rev. Billy Graham

North Carolina’s favorite son and world-renowned man of faith Rev. Billy Graham turns 95 today:

His eyes are clouded, his voice grainy and his famous wavy hair has turned snow-white.

But age has not robbed Billy Graham of his power – softer now – to preach the Gospel.

As the Charlotte-born evangelist turns 95 Thursday, millions of TV watchers and churchgoers will witness what could be his final public message.

Speaking into a camera at his log cabin-like home in Montreat, Graham calls for a spiritual reawakening in America and says that the cross of Christ “demands … a new lifestyle in all of us.”

“With all my heart, I want to leave you with the truth,” the grandfatherly Graham says about God. “He loves you, willing to forgive you of all your sins.”

Graham’s new but familiar words, recorded over the last year, are featured in a DVD that’s part of a national evangelical effort called “My Hope America, with Billy Graham.” The 28-minute program, which also includes archival footage of the younger Graham, will be shown at 10 p.m. Thursday on Fox News.

In the coming days, nearly 500 local TV stations will also show the program – including Charlotte’s WBTV (channel 3), which will air it Friday at 8 p.m. And more than 25,000 churches around the country are participating in the “My Hope” effort. Pastors of those churches are providing copies of the DVD to members who have been trained to host watch gatherings in their homes.

The Observer also reports that ‘[a]bout 800 people, including celebrities, are expected to attend a private party for him at Asheville’s Omni Grove Park Inn’ tonight.   May God continue to bless him,  and continue to bless us with this wonderful, deeply inspiring and amazing man. Happy birthday, Reverend.

7 Responses to “Wishing the Rev. Billy Graham a very happy, blessed 95th birthday”

Comments

1. Tango says:

….I have been looking forward to Billy’s address to the nation for some months now.

My late grandmother was a huge fan of his back in the day. Indeed, some of my earliest recollections as a very little dude (mebbe 4 years old) -were of watching Billy Graham’s crusade(s) on a grainy black and white television with my grandmother at HER mother’s tiny little Ohio farm.

I believe Mr Graham’s message is timeless, and as important now as it ever has been.

2. Jen says:

I was teary eyed when Glenn Beck said this morning that Franklin Graham told him that his father has “one more sermon” in him and that will be the one given tonight via video at his birthday party….

Rev. Graham’s age related retreat from public speaking has been such a loss for this country.

3. Jen says:

4. ALman says:

When Rev. Graham was first beginning his evangelical ministry, he and his associates each retreated to his respective room. They prayed concerning their course for the ministry. Later, they came together and discussed their thoughts. They established certain rules of conduct. One, in order for their not to be any sense of impropriety, they agreed that none of them would be seen in public alone with a woman to whom he was not married. To my knowledge none of those present ever did anything to disgrace the ministry. We are surely in need of men, and women, of such character today.

I recall the televised evangelical meetings. The deep-voiced George Beverly Shea. The passionate preaching of Rev. Graham. The altar call with the choir singing “Just as I am without one plea.” Brings tears to my eyes. Sure was a different America “from sea to shining sea.” I can believe Rev. Graham has wept for this country. God bless him with the fullness of His love through Christ Jesus in the power of the Holy Spirit.

5. Happy Birthday and Thank You for Blessing the world through your life with the Glorious Gospel of Christ.
    We are Canadian Pastors from Prince George BC Pastoring here for over 40 years. Franklin visited us once years ago.Had the joy of visiting your ministry in NC last year.Your impact on Canada has been awesome!

6. Drew the Infidel says:

Hear, hear!

7. ALman says:

“The Cross – Billy Graham’s Message To America”

Classic, classic Rev. Graham message with interesting historical reflections.