NPR fires Juan Williams for admitting he’s human

Posted by: Phineas on October 21, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Yesterday, National Public Radio terminated its contract with liberal commentator Juan Williams over remarks he made on Bill O’Reilly’s show on Fox:

Here’s a transcript, courtesy of Big Journalism:

The move came after Mr. Williams, who is also a Fox News political analyst, appeared on the “The O’Reilly Factor” on Monday. On the show, the host, Bill O’Reilly, asked him to respond to the notion that the United States was facing a “Muslim dilemma.” Mr. O’Reilly said, “The cold truth is that in the world today jihad, aided and abetted by some Muslim nations, is the biggest threat on the planet.”

Mr. Williams said he concurred with Mr. O’Reilly.

He continued: “I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”

Mr. Williams also made reference to the Pakistani immigrant who pleaded guilty this month to trying to plant a car bomb in Times Square. “He said the war with Muslims, America’s war is just beginning, first drop of blood. I don’t think there’s any way to get away from these facts,” Mr. Williams said.

And for that, Williams was fired:

NPR said in its statement that the remarks “were inconsistent with our editorial standards and practices, and undermined his credibility as a news analyst with NPR.”

So, let me get this straight. In an era when Muslims bent on jihad blow themselves up on crowded buses and in pizza parlors, when Muslims bent on jihad hijack planes and kill nearly 3,000 Americans in one day, when a Muslim bent on jihad takes to heart the Islamic doctrine of Wala’ wa Bara’ (“loyalty and enmity”) and guns down his fellow soldiers, when even the general manager of al-Arabiya television says

It is certainly true that not all Muslims are terrorists, however, sadly we say that the majority of terrorists in the world are Muslims.

… and on and on around the world: London, Edinburgh, Madrid, Beslan, Mumbai, Bali, Thailand, Nigeria, and on an on in a trail of blood blazed by Muslims bent on jihad…

…Juan Williams admitted to a very human failing: he gets nervous around Muslims. He’s not saying every Muslim is a terrorist; he is not saying he hates all Muslims or that all Muslims are jihadists. He is admitting to an instinctive reaction based on years of witnessing horrifying things done by Muslims waging jihad.

News flash: I was once robbed at gunpoint by a Black man. To this day, I still get a bit nervous when a Black male stranger approaches me on the street. It’s irrational, I usually ignore it, but it’s still there: a normal human reaction based on our survival instinct. And I bet if you look around hard enough, you’ll find Black men who have had bad experiences with White cops and get nervous when encountering another White cop.

Would NPR fire them, too?

What this really shows is how narrow the limits are on free speech at that bastion of liberalism, National Public Radio. Express an opinion beyond the bounds of progressive, multicultural orthodoxy and you get punished. And it’s another example of how the Left in general pays only lip service to intellectual freedom: you have the freedom to express any thought as long as it’s on the approved list.

Conservative women, minorities who stray off the liberal reservation, and Black liberal pundits who are honest about their feelings, on the other hand, can just shut up.

PS: Why in God’s name is the United States government giving taxpayer money to a media organization that punishes people for exercising their First Amendment right to free speech?

PPS: And how odd this happened right after “progressive” billionaire (and Nazi collaborator) George Soros’ “Open Society Foundation” a $1.8 million grant to pay for more reporters. Must be a coincidence.

LINKS: As you can guess, lots of sites are writing about this today. In addition to Big Journalism (and do read their post for a good survey of NPR’s “editorial standards and practices”), see also The Jawa Report, Fausta, Power Line, Legal Insurrection, Hot Air, and Michelle Malkin. On a related note, The Los Angeles Times’ Andrew Malcolm reports that most Americans feel political correctness has gone too far. I’ll bet Juan Williams would agree with that.

UPDATE: Sammy at Yid With Lid argues that Juan’s presence on Fox was NPR’s real problem, not so much what he said.

UPDATE II: Oh, now they’re after Mara Liasson, too.

(Crossposted at Public Secrets)

Update – 7:41 PM: The Sistah reacts. :)

15 Responses to “NPR fires Juan Williams for admitting he’s human”

Comments

1. Bob says:

Mr. Williams exercised his right to free speech and paid the price. His employer does not have to retain him if they feel he embarrasses NPR.

I haven’t agreed politically with Williams on anything. However, I didn’t dislike him. Maybe now he has learned the lessons of what liberals really think about freedom of speech.

2. PaBear says:

Looks like NPR is feeling quite some heat. They deserve it. Seems no one is answering any of their phonelines today, Hmmmm…. Tax payer funded employees refusing to do their jobs?

Contact Us
    E-mail : listener_care@npr.org

Phone Numbers:
    Listener Services (202) 513-3232
    NPR Communications (202) 513-2300
    Corporate Sponsorship (202) 513-2093
    NPR Foundation (202) 513-2080
    NPR Directory (202) 513-2000
    Main Fax (202) 513-3329

3. Steve Hussein Skubinna says:

So here’s a question for Juan: is he still permitted to self identify as a “liberal” in the privacy of his own home, even if the other liberals don’t let him join their reindeer games?

Lucky for him lefties are so tolerant and diverse. Unlike those hatefilled right wing teabaggers.

Now not even Peggy Noonan will dare speak to him, or she’ll get the old heave ho from all the nice cocktail parties.

4. Zippy says:

This is ridiculous. This is the new profiling..and he has a right to express his feelings or doesn’t he? It’s okay to jab at other people who disagree with ‘their standard’ but to profess his fear based on traumatic experience (9/11..which traumatized us ALL)is inappropriate? RIDICULOUS!

I always played the ‘Guess the Terrorist Game’ when boarding a plane since 1986. The last time I played, my guess was incorrect. He was an Italian guy from Paterson, NJ. Salut!

5. Bob Smith says:

The thing is, if those NPR people were connected to a polygraph machine, they would not be able to answer the question “Do you feel uneasy when you are on a jet and young muslim men board the plane?” with a “No”, without the machine blowing up! As was stated, we’re talking about human nature.

6. bill glass says:

Not instinctively having a fear in the everyday situation of flying is unrealistic. We all know the facts, and we kow what happened in the past often is repeated in the future. Juan was been honest about his feelings, and most of us, when truthful, are pretty much like Juan when it comes right down to it.

7. Kate says:

Well what a Surprise…to work for NPR you must speak only the liberal line…and if you get caught expressing your true feelings you might get fired. I guess that this is a warning to all their journalist/commentators…tow the line or walk!

Now NPR is tarnishing Juan William’s personally by saying they had “talked” to him about his views (perhaps those he spoke on Fox news on any one of the hundreds of times he has appeared on that particular network). Question: Where is the documentation and is it now proper to fire people via their Blackberry?

Isn’t it amazing the day after George Soros gifts Media Matters with $1 million….a coincidence? Perhaps NPR is looking for him to cut them a big check….anyone want to make a bet on that?

8. wanda says:

More of the liberal ridonkulousness that Americans must endure on a daily basis!

NPR stinks!

And yea, why……are they funded by our tax dollars? Frustrating!
    I’M OFFENDED by that! /:)

9. CZ says:

Zippy called it rediculous.

CZ call it delicious.

What perfect timing NPR!! Thank you, thank you very much.

Juan Williams…table for two?…paging Juan Williams…your table is ready.

Enjoy the tea, I’m buying.

See you in NOvember: )

Censorship is now publicly acceptable to the left – as long as it is censorship of a politically incorrect idea, thought or emotion.

I’ve thought for a long time that the feds had no business being in the communications business, and this enforces that belief immensely. If their point of view is so necessary, find sponsors and nearly any station in the United States will carry your program.

That. of course, is why AirHead America failed – they couldn’t make enough to pay for their right to express their views over the “free” airwaves. Neither should NPR, and we shouldn’t bail them out with money that could be more wisely spent by those who earn it.

11. 1773inBoston says:

I can’t wait for November 2nd. I used to just want to defeat liberals. Now I want to punish them too. I want my new Conservative Republican Congress to defund NPR and the like. I am tired of having these supposed defenders of freedom trampling the rights of good citizens like Juan Williams, whose true crime against democrats was appearing on Fox a little too often. The NPR-types are not real Americans. It’s time we treated them as what they are – enemies.

12. PaBear says:

Look at every local NPR stations affiliate and underwriter list on their websites for your local communities. “POLITELY” contact each and every one of the local sponsers (LOCAL, not national) to express your feelings about NPR and whether or not they want to have their business associated with NPR. Many won’t care but some will not want to risk the loss of business a boycott could bring about. This really does work with LOCAL businesses.

13. your mama says:

The liberal -free speech for me but not for thee proven once again. There was nothing racial or bigoted about his remark.

14. Zippy says:

These idiots are getting a little over zealous with their censorship, to even attack one of their own. I agree with 1773inBoston, he was being punished for being a too frequent Fox commentator.. They’re imploding!