Refudiation Day +1: California Screamin’

Posted by: Phineas on November 3, 2010 at 4:44 pm

(This is the second of two posts. In the first I gave my impressions of the nationwide results. In this one, I’ll discuss results specific to California.)

There’s no way around it: this was a bad day for California, from the sea to the Sierras, and from Calexico to Crescent City. The cry of “California, here I come!” is more and more turning into “Flee! Save yourselves!

In statewide offices, it was a near-wipeout with Democrats winning all, except maybe a seat on the obscure State Board of Equalization. (Yippee.) Attorney-General Jerry Brown was elected to a third term as governor (his first two being from 1975-83), while Barbara Boxer won a fourth term as US Senator. And yes, it hurt to type that. Kamala Harris completed the Trifecta of Terror by moving from the San Francisco DA’s office, where she ran an incompetent and scandal-plagued operation, to Jerry’s old seat in the AG’s office. Democrats similarly won all the other state executive posts. (State Education Supervisor is technically non-partisan, so I don’t know the winner’s affiliation.)

Meanwhile, our state legislature oligarchy remains largely unchanged, thanks to gerrymandered safe seats, leaving a large Democratic majority dominated by progressives from the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles. Few legislative seats changed hands, as apparently happened with our congressional delegation. I was very sorry to see Van Tran lose to the race-baiting idiot Loretta Sanchez in district 47, while former Marine Nick Popaditch lost his battle against Democrat incumbent Bob Filner in the 51st district on the Mexican border.

State propositions were a mixed bag: Prop 19, the marijuana decriminalization initiative, lost. I was inclined to vote in favor it on personal liberty grounds, but concerns about employer vulnerability to discrimination suits lead me to vote no. The big disappointments were Props 23, which would have suspended the job killing AB 32, and Prop 25, which allows the passage of a state budget on a simple majority vote. In other words, the Democrats can run riot with the budget and the Republicans have no influence. Fine then. Vote no on every budget measure and make them own the mess.

The propositions also provided the few bright spots of the night. Proposition 20, which takes the power to draw congressional district lines and gives it to a citizens’ commission, passed. At the same time, Prop 27, which would have disbanded the commission and returned power to the legislature, failed. That means gerrymandering, or at least its worst excesses, is dead in this state. Anyone who’s read my posts on California’s arrogant legislature and gerrymandering know I welcomed this. The oligarchs may have ensured their reelection this time, but, in the next cycle, they have to face competitive races. While I think that’s great for the long-term health of my state’s politics, it’s a subtle change that will take time -several years- to play out.

In the short and medium term, however. I can’t sugarcoat it: we’re screwed, and we did it to ourselves. Instead of looking coldly at the policies that got us into the mess we’re in, the majority voted for a governor who took money from terrorist supporters and admitted he runs for office with no plan of what to do. He’s a reactionary left-liberal dinosaur who has no idea how jobs are created or businesses made successful. And now he’s governor-elect. The same with Boxer, who’s not only a reactionary, but adds a mind-numbing stupidity to the mix. And I’ve made clear my contempt for Harris. How they were able to win, I don’t know, since my votes were decided long ago and I didn’t follow their races.

In short, with a liberal Democrat governor beholden to the public employee unions that got him elected, a progressive legislature freed of any political restraint, and an attorney-general who sees herself as a crusader for every left-wing cause under the sun, but won’t seek the death penalty for cop-killers,  we’re well on our way to becoming “Greece on the Pacific,” and America’s first failed state. Things may get better in the future, but I suspect they’ll have to get much worse, first.

LINKS: Good off the cuff analysis at Flash Report, while CalWatchdog has an interesting theory about why Republicans have such a hard time winning here in recent years. Also from Power Line and especially Maggie’s Farm.

(Crossposted at Public Secrets)

11 Responses to “Refudiation Day +1: California Screamin’”

Comments

No personal offense meant by this, Phineus, but I hope our new red-is-red House refuses to bail out California, which will surely need a bailout within 12 months.

There is no reason the rest of the country has had to tighten its collective but individual belt(s) while California drifts through its own clouds of cannabis smoke toward self-destruction.

And I hope I never hear that they’re “too big to fail”. I’ll scream loud enough to be heard at your northern border if I do.

2. Phineas says:

None taken, Carlos. :)

But, truth be told, that is exactly what the once and future governor plans to do: go hat in hand to DC. The debt is massive, and the legislature (and their union donors) won’t let them cut a thing. Like I said above, the only good thing in this is, thanks to the budget prop passing, the Democrats now can own the whole mess.

I hope Congress says “no” when Jerry comes knocking, too. [-(

3. thomas mc donnell says:

its hard to beat the party of frequent and dead voters. thats why polls tend to be inaccurate. but if you can eliminate gerrymandering you may have a chamce to defeat some of these candidates in the future. its not much better where i live in new jersey. corupt to the core.

I propose we start a campaign to let our congressional contingents know beyond a shadow of a doubt that we, the people, will not tolerate a CA bailout.

Call AND mail your congressperson and senators to let them know it is CA’s own responsibility to put their own house in order, not every other taxpayers’. Do it today, do it daily or at least weekly, so that by the time Blowweed Jerry comes hat-in-hand he will be laughed out of the halls of Congress!

5. Proud Infidel says:

I’ll be damned if I’m even gonna think of even visiting the People’s Republik of Mexifornia from now on, I almost pity that State of mega-fools! As for them wanting more bailouts, I just hope and pray they’re emphatically told NO, not until they get their affairs in order!!

6. Jo says:

Also no offense but California is the Granola State: obviously full of nuts, fruits and flakes who vote for radical, idiot Left wingers perpetually. What is the deal? But yes, we will be bailing them out. After all, we’ll be told, they are TOO BIG TO FAIL.

7. Tango says:

…..these results ensure that CA’s implosion will be spectacular. And believe me, I take no pleasure in that at all!

8. Danny says:

As San Diegan’s, my wife and I had to take consolation in the national results and some of our local results. And I’m not sure if redistricting is going to help California much because I believe the demographics of registered voters favor Dems by a significant margin.

And I agree. No bailouts for California. People here need to learn some hard lessons. Plus bankruptcy may be the only path for our state and local govs to get out from under the yoke of these outrageous public employee union pension plan commitments.

9. Phineas says:

Danny,

Congratulations on voting down that local tax increase measure. :)

You’re right about the D vs. R demographics (CalWatchdog link has a good article on this), but I think reformed redistricting will still help by making districts more competitive, even if only somewhat.

As for bankruptcy, I don’t think states can, as soveriegn entities, although cities can. (I recall this from a discussion on a news show a while back.) I think the upshot was that some form of receivership arrangement would have to be worked out.

Well, if states can’t go banko, then maybe it will be a sight to see them pay all their debts in cash, and if they don’t have the cash, they don’t pay.

What a novel concept!

‘Course, I expect some Uranusian-minded federal judge will eventually require the other 49 to pony up. Seems only right, since CA is such a good jackass state.