Benghazi consulate massacre: State Dept. turned down repeated requests for more security

Posted by: Phineas on October 2, 2012 at 4:01 pm

**Posted by Phineas

“You have adequate security.”

Dear God, it’s as if they were asking for a hit:

“Based on information provided to the Committee by individuals with direct knowledge of events in Libya, the attack that claimed the ambassador’s life was the latest in a long line of attacks on Western diplomats and officials in Libya in the months leading up to September 11, 2012,” House Oversight and Government Reform Committee chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., and subcommittee chairman Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, wrote Clinton today. They dismissed out-of-hand the suggestion that the attack ever could have been regarded as a spontaneous protest gone awry.

“In addition, multiple U.S. federal government officials have confirmed to the Committee that, prior to the September 11 attack, the U.S. mission in Libya made repeated requests for increased security in Benghazi,” Issa and Chaffetz added (my emphasis). “The mission in Libya, however, was denied these resources by officials in Washington.”

Emphasis added.

It won’t surprise anyone to learn that, per the AP, there are multiple whistleblowers anxious to talk to the committee, so frustrated are they that no one would listen to them in spite of repeated warnings about the dangers in Libya, including the ambassador’s own misgivings.

But there’s something else in the AP article — a little refresher of what Madame Secretary herself said about the Benghazi attack a week after it happened:

Clinton discussed security on Sept. 18, when asked whether measures were appropriate.

“Let me assure you that our security in Benghazi included a unit of host government security forces, as well as a local guard force of the kind that we rely on in many places around the world,” she said.

“In addition to the security outside the compound, we relied on a wall and a robust security presence inside the compound,” she said. “And with all of our missions overseas, in advance of September 11th, as is done every year, we did an evaluation on threat streams.”

Clinton also said the Office of the Director of National Intelligence “has said we had no actionable intelligence that an attack on our post in Benghazi was planned or imminent.”

Oh, no. Nothing at all. Really:

—Just weeks before the attacks, the unarmed Libyan guards at the consulate, employed by British contractor Blue Mountain Group, were warned by family members to quit their jobs because there were rumors of an impending attack.

—In April, a gun battle erupted about two miles from the consulate between an unidentified armed group and forces loyal to the transitional government.

—In June, a posting on a Facebook page mentioned Stevens’ early morning runs around Tripoli along with members of his security detail. The page contained a threat against Stevens and a stock photo of him. Stevens stopped the runs for about a week, but then resumed.

And that’s just a short list. Among other “non-actionable intelligence” (including a formal warning) was a bomb blast that blew a hole in the compound wall so large that a platoon could charge through. But, you know, Hillary is on top of things, so you know they did all that a reasonable person would do.

In Libya. In Benghazi. In the local heart of al Qaeda recruiting. Where warnings and even attacks had already taken place. And it was the anniversary of September 11th.

The committee has hearings scheduled for October 10th. To say they should be interesting is the understatement of the year.

(Crossposted at Public Secrets)

RSS feed for comments on this post.

5 Responses to “Benghazi consulate massacre: State Dept. turned down repeated requests for more security”

Comments

  1. Drew the Infidel says:

    Dating back to April there were six attacks. One was aimed at a British diplomatic motorcade and the remaining five at US embassies including the IED hole mentioned above. “Spiking the ball” over the bin Laden raid 21 times at the DNC alone in the days leading up to 9/11 and this regime cannot put two and two together? And domestic policy adviser Valerie Jarrett is such a VIP she rates a full 5-person contingent of Secret Service agents while ambassadors are left adrift in hostile territory? November 6th cannot get here soon enough.

  2. Dorothy Palmer says:

    This ends Mdme. Hilary’s chances for the Presidency. She may as well as divorce the pervert, disbarred, William jefferson C. She is a disgrace to women, I being one.

  3. Kate says:

    So true, Dorothy. I used to have some respect for Hillary, but now that I know she is willing to carry poisoned water for Obama, I have none left! This story puts blood on the hands of Obama and his inept (or uncaring) State Department. Trusting the Libyans to protect our ambassador and then having them turn a cold shoulder to our requests should have been proof enough to move all personnel out of Libya post haste!

    Where is the angst of the Lame Stream dunderheads over this slaughter of innocents?

  4. Tex says:

    The press should have been hammering Obama and Hillary both the past several weeks as to why they decided to leave our Ambassador to Libya unprotected in a chaotic Islamic nation with known Al Qaeda cells, and denied his requests for more security, which resulted in his assassination by Al Qaeda operatives.

    But of course, we don’t really have a true press in this country any more – just a bunch of Liberal propaganda outlets who’s ONLY job is to manipulate public opinion to favor the Democratic Party.

    We’ve lost the cornerstone of our democracy – a free and independent press.

    Romney should ask Obama tonight in the debates why he decided to sacrifice our Ambassador to Libya.

  5. Dixon says:

    And when the 200+ Marines were killed in Lebanon — while Debt-Doubler” Ronald Reagan was at the helm — the GOP yelled for someone’s head then? How easy you all forget — or how little you know. And I hope someone looks into what’s been done to the State Dept. Security budget?