More nonsense from Charlie Rangel

Posted by: ST on September 23, 2005 at 10:49 am

Calling President Bush ‘Our Bull Connor’:

WASHINGTON – Comparing President Bush to the Birmingham, Ala., police commissioner whose resistance to the civil rights movement became synonymous with Southern racism, Rep. Charles Rangel said yesterday of the president: "George Bush is our Bull Connor."

Mr. Rangel’s metaphoric linkage of Mr. Bush to the late Theophilus "Bull" Connor – who in 1963 turned fire hoses and attack dogs on blacks, including Martin Luther King Jr., demonstrating in favor of equal rights – met with wild applause and cheering at a Congressional Black Caucus town hall meeting, part of the organization’s 35th Annual Legislative Conference.

Yesterday’s town hall meeting was a highlight of the four-day conference, which today will feature an anti-Iraq-war forum with a roving, protesting anti-war mother, Cindy Sheehan; a prominent New York black activist, the Reverend Al Sharpton, and a former president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Kweisi Mfume. The conference culminates in a gala tomorrow evening.

Now doesn’t that sound like a conference you’d want to attend?

Mr. Rangel should be ashamed of himself.  It’s stupid statements like that which do nothing to bring the black and white community respectively closer together.  Thank you, Mr. Rangel, for doing your part to keep America divided.

PM Update:

WASHINGTON, Sept. 23 /U.S. Newswire/ — Members of the black leadership network Project 21 are demanding that the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) and Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) join with them in condemning remarks made by CBC member Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) in which he called President George W. Bush "our Bull Conner," referring to the 1960s segregationist icon.

"Charles Rangel’s comments are morally vacant and beneath the pale, but obviously not out of character for him and his supporters," said Project 21 member Mychal Massie. "How many blacks today suffer from beatings, fire hoses or have dogs set on them for trying to seek a seat at a lunch counter or go to school? How many of us today are living under inflexible, legislated segregation?"

Massie adds: "Rangel’s comments may play well with those who embrace ignorance, but it will not resonate with Americans who eschew racial demagoguery. We demand that the CBC and Senator Clinton join with this overwhelming majority of their fellow citizens in banishing hate speech such as this to the trash heap of history."

Bravo!

10 Responses to “More nonsense from Charlie Rangel”

Comments

1. Seth says:

He is two faced, considering the positive things he said about Bush just a few days ago.

2. Steve Skubinna says:

Of course Bull Conner was a Democrat.

As was Lester Maddox. And George Wallace.

All par for the course from the party of slavery, Jim Crow, and the Klan. And yet most minorities vote Democratic…

3. Mumbly Joe says:

Of course Bull Conner was a Democrat.

Its disgusting that any self-respecting black man would have anything to do with the Plantation Party of Slavery, Secession, and Segregation. We should have done what the Germans did after WWII and outlawed the Democrat Party after the Civil War.

4. CT says:

To a Democrat, if you are Republican then you are racist. This cartoonish view of politics is what’s causing them to lose elections…so keep it up!

Still, it’s disgusting to hear stuff like this.

5. The one thing you can be sure of is that certain persons, the Dishonorable Mr. Rangel notable among them, will never be ashamed of themselves. They had that gland surgically removed before taking office.

6. Evon says:

Rangle’s actions are divisive but I suspect it is the only way he can think of to try to keep the Black vote solidly Democratic. I suspect that many of the people who died in Katrina had been bused to the polls to vote Democratic. It is their local and state Democrats who couldn’t get their act together and provide their safety. Will they wake up or will it be politics as usual? The elections in 2006 will be interesting.

7. Walter E. Wallis says:

As always, I appologize for saving Charlie’s life November 26, 1950. I gave him my space in the warm up tent because his feet were wet and mine were not. If I had known what an a**hole he was I would have let him freeze. Naw, I would still have saved him because, well, that’s just mighty white of me.

Ed. language in case youngun’s read the site : ) –ST

8. Erik Rush says:

Ah, the freedom of bloggage. First, kudos to the level of intelligence on ST.

I’d had about all I could stand of the clown congressman (as well as the “Reverend” Al Sharpton and Queasy Mfume) before he came out with the Bull Conner remarks. I asked Mychal Massie if I could quote him in my next article, which should be out and about tomorrow.

Having been born in Rangel’s district, I am all-too-familiar with the cesspool that is politics in New York. The fact that this sleazoid poverty pimp gets re-elected again and again is testimony to the effectiveness of the propaganda machine. I tried to keep as much vitriol out of the article as possible; my apologies if an inordinate amount seeped through.