50 babies a year are alive after abortion

Posted by: ST on November 29, 2005 at 2:57 pm

Read this and weep. I literally did:

A GOVERNMENT agency is launching an inquiry into doctors’ reports that up to 50 babies a year are born alive after botched National Health Service abortions.

The investigation, by the Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health (CEMACH), comes amid growing unease among clinicians over a legal ambiguity that could see them being charged with infanticide.

The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, which regulates methods of abortion, has also mounted its own investigation.

Its guidelines say that babies aborted after more than 21 weeks and six days of gestation should have their hearts stopped by an injection of potassium chloride before being delivered. In practice, few doctors are willing or able to perform the delicate procedure.

For the abortion of younger foetuses, labour is induced by drugs in the expectation that the infant will not survive the birth process. Guidelines say that doctors should ensure that the drugs they use prevent such babies being alive at birth.

In practice, according to Stuart Campbell, former professor of obstetrics and gynaecology at St George’s hospital, London, a number do survive.

“They can be born breathing and crying at 19 weeks’ gestation” he said. “I am not anti-abortion, but as far as I am concerned this is sub-standard medicine.”

The number of terminations carried out in the 18th week of pregnancy or later has risen from 5,166 in 1994 to 7,432 last year. Prenatal diagnosis for conditions such as Down’s syndrome is increasing and foetuses with the condition are routinely aborted, even though many might be capable of leading fulfilling lives. In the past decade, doctors’ skill in saving the lives of premature babies has improved radically: at least 70%-80% of babies in their 23rd or 24th week of gestation now survive long-term.

Abortion on demand is allowed in Britain up to 24 weeks — more than halfway through a normal pregnancy and the highest legal limit for such terminations in Europe. France and Germany permit “social” abortions only up to the 10th and 12th weeks respectively.

There’s so much to be sad about after reading that article that I hardly know where to begin.

Hat tip to Stoo and Toad for the link.

Update: Read more via Charmaine Yoest.

Related Toldjah So post:

47 Responses to “50 babies a year are alive after abortion”

Comments

1. Severian says:

This just shocked me.

It also seems to be quite an indictment of the “quality” of government run health care in the UK, if they can’t even get something like this right, resulting in “live” abortions.

Shudder…

2. scmommy says:

I read this yesterday and have been sick and depressed since. I can’t get these children out of my head. How can people tolerate this? I want to blog about this myself but like you I have know idea where to begin – all I can do now is cry.

3. Fat Tone says:

That has been happening for years….and it is quite obvious that some of those babies wound up in politics.

4. Baklava says:

In the article was the following paragraph:

Given that information, I have questions for liberals and/or people who support NARAL:
    1)What week of life is OK for the U.S. law to say “no” to abortion?
    2) Would you support Lieberman (who has a 100% NARAL score or Tom Daschle who had a 20% score or Olympia Snowe who has a 100% score?
    3) If a baby can cry at the 19th week (in the 4th month) is it just a “choice” still in your eyes or is there some recognition of stamping out life liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

5. steve says:

Abortion is an abomination. Peace

6. Baklava says:

So Steve,

Almost 100% of Democrats have a 100% rating by NARAL. Do you support any one of them for president over the pro-violence (as you call it) Republicans?

7. WildPonyMom says:

Sad … very sad. :cry:

I don’t think I’ll ever understand why people who say they believe in the teachings of the Bible vote Democrat.

8. sanity says:

Abortion infuriates and sickens me to no end.

The callousness that people treat life is insane, even when they can SEE that actual hands and feet, arms and legs, they insist in calling it a ‘fetus’ and that the baby doesn’t feel any pain.

I read an article that doctors use a memory drug to wipe away the memory.

Maybe I am to hardhearted, but why can’t people take RESPONSIBILITY for thier own actions? Where is personal responsibility? People worry more about the FEELINGS of a person, or not being able to afford (money) a baby……these are the good reasons to murder a baby?

Scientific issue, if you wish to go there, some people think when the blood is pumping through the body indicates life, in which you will be VERY suprised at how early that is.

Sorry, just the way I see it.

~sanity

9. Kevin says:

A friend of mine had an abortion in the 90′s and while making the decision she said she had to decide soon, because abortions have to be done in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.

Is that not true, or did the law change?

10. I think that is true, Kevin, as far as the US goes (about the 12 weeks) – but in some places in Europe it’s allowed for several more weeks.

11. steve says:

Abortion is an abomination. Choice(free will) and privacy is not. You cannot oppose abortion and support the death penalty and war. Most Democrats are closer to defending all life than are most Republicans. Peace

12. Amy Proctor says:

Oh, Lord, Sister, this is heartbreaking. It isn’t suprising when you consider the strength of the human body, though.

As for Steve, I cannot oppose abortion and support the death penalty? To the contrary! Both are about justice and supporting innocent life.

13. Amen, Amy, on all points!

14. sanity says:

Steve you are wrong…suprise suprise.

I can fully support the death penalty, these are adults who have commited hienous crimes against humanity that are put to death.

How you can compare the killing of a baby by abortion and the death penalty of a covicted murder is beyond reason and I find totally assinine.

15. Kevin says:

So Sanity, are you saying you support killing the guilty, but do not support killing the innocent?

Sounds pretty reasonable to me!

16. Brian says:

I support both legalized abortions and the death penalty. Anti-abortionists are unable to understand that making abortions illegal doesn’t stop women from having abortions. Ironically most anti-abortionists support policies that makes it more likely that women will end up having abortions rather than less likely. Most anti-abortionists support policies that make it more difficult for females to have access to contraception and try to prevent females from learning all of the facts about contraception. It’s not just a coincidence that the United States has the biggest anti-abortion movement of any industrialized nation and also has the highest abortion rate of any industrialized country.

17. antimedia says:

My God that’s disgusting! I had no idea!

18. stackja says:

Hitler had a genocidal final solution and trials were held in Nuremberg. One day there will be an accounting for this genocide. Killers are tried then sentenced to death, babies are sentenced to death without a trial, they are only given a passing thought.

19. Kevin says:

I’m less supportive of the death penalty after I found out it costs many times more than keeping them in prison for life without parole. But I’m certainly ok with it if others want to put a murderer to death. If you kill someone for no good reason, you deserve to be killed right back.

And I don’t care even the slightest which way America chooses to go on abortion. The pros and cons are honestly too complex for me to take a firm stand.

I am firmly opposed to Roe v Wade though, as the judges created a law based on the decision in a monarchial way (perhaps oligarchial? same thing to me). This is unacceptable if you are a fan of the ‘checks and balances’ system of US government. Creating laws is a job for Congress, and ONLY Congress. The law should be repealed on those grounds alone, and let the states decide. Both sides would win I imagine, as most states would still allow abortion, but a few would not. Over a long period of time, we could see which position is better by comparing both sets of states.

Indeed, aborting an unborn child is murdering it. And killing a second one is a clear sign that you have no respect for life (people who have second abortions are scum imo). But if you get unexpectedly pregnant that first time, I have sympathy for the girl who wants an abortion.

My mother explained it clearly to me one day, and I still feel like she is correct (My mother is a therapist, and says she’s a Republican, but a better description of her would be ‘not a Democrat’). She said, “A woman who wants an abortion and is not allowed to have one will end up torturing that child, possibly unintentionally, possibly not, but torturing them nevertheless; physically, or more likely emotionally by not being there for the child. The child will grow up with no self-worth and likely be sociopathic (unconcerned for others), destroying the lives of those who choose to get close to him/her. They will have an unhappy life, and spread the unhappiness to others.” Not an exact quote, but I think it’s accurate. I will email her to make sure I didn’t misquote her.

I am aware that adoption is available, but I’m also aware that it is not a likely outcome for these particular cases. I’m not sure why, but it is truth.

So, again in my opinion only, this is tragic, but the tragedy really occurred during the unprotected sexual act, not the abortion.

In high school, my teacher was what could be described as a typical liberal, and she did an EXCELLENT job (this was back when liberals were sane). She spent about half the class explaining what a good idea it was to wait to have sex, and the other half explaining how to not get diseases or get someone pregnant. Of course I ignored her pleas for choosing abstinence, but I learned how not to get sick or get a girl pregnant. Some though, chose abstinence. That choice is better for kids, but the other is not that bad. I firmly believe we need education in schools (approved by parents) that clearly states that underaged or premarital sex is bad, followed by directions for safe sex. It will go a long way towards stopping abortion.

Sorry this comment is so long, but it is a tough choice to choose between the murdering of a child and the torturing of a child. And that is the gist of why I just cannot decide. As I said previously, you guys figure it out, and I’ll go along with it.

20. Kevin says:

Gotta disagree with you though Brian. The general belief is that abortions increased ten-fold in 1973 when it became legal in the US, and plateaued four years later. Stats here.

No proof is available showing that legilization increased the abortion rate, as the abortions obviously were not recorded, but the rapid rise from 1973 to 1977 followed by a flattening of the trend should be considered a clear sign that legalization dramatically increased the number of abortions. Statistically, the curve would be smooth, if there were a curve at all… if abortions did not rise from the legalization of it. Again, I’m not necessarily against it, but when dealing with facts… you pretty much have to report them. No one wants to be labeled CBS-ish.

21. steve says:

Thou shalt not kill. No exceptions. No discussion. Peace

22. scmommy says:

This is related:

Defining Life Down
    Are we okay with eliminated a class of humans?

23. PCD says:

steve, you are being arbitrary and myopic. The Lord did command Israel to fight wars. You misinterpret the comandment, “Thou shalt not kill”. The Commandments are directed to individual followers of God, not governments, also it means the taking of innocent life, not just punishment meted out. Executing a killer doesn’t violate that commandment. Defending yourself or your country doesn’t violate the commandment. But get this, steve, standing by and doing nothing while a killer is on the loose killing is a violation of the commandment.

24. Baklava says:

Brian wrote, “Anti-murderists are unable to understand that making murder illegal doesn’t stop people from murdering

Oh. I’m sorry. I changed abortion to murder so that wasn’t what Brian wrote..:evil:

I think the question for you Brian is – should abortion be legal after the 19th week when babies can cry if taken out? France and Germany only permit “social” abortions up to the 10th and 12th week respectively. What would be Brian’s limit? Using your reasoning you’d have no limit because people would murder (I mean abort) anyway.

25. sanity says:

Oh please steve, don’t even try quoting PART of the Bible that may help you, and ignore the rest, there is more to that than what you quoted.

Of course, they sue that, but ignore Honor the Father and Thy mother, do not lie, remember the sabbath day and keep it holy, you shall not commit adultery,you shall not bear false witness against your nieghbor….I guess we can just pick and choose which ones we want to follow according to most people.

Then there is the whole eye for an eye, where it could be argued that it is punishment and not murder.

“One should not be too horrified by what one finds in this chapter of Exodus, which forms part of the “Book of the Covenant,” a collection of divinely sanctioned laws. In certain respects Yahweh’s code is much less harsh than many others prevailing at the time. Manslaughter, for example, is distinguished from murder and punished differently; causing a woman to miscarry, furthermore, does not call for death, as it apparently did elsewhere. Finally, you only had to lose an eye if you put out someone else’s — which, believe it or not, was getting off easy. ”

This idiom is a quotation from the Bible, which has “Life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth” (Deuteronomy 19:21)

Again, do not try and banter the bible around and think you can use only portions of it to suit your cause. Either take it in its full entirety or do not use it at all.

~sanity

26. steve says:

If you can’t or won’t follow the 10 Commandments and you don’t buy into Christ’s message of non-violence—terrific—but don’t pretend that you are a Christian. Peace

27. sanity says:

Baklava,

Even if they take a scientific view of it and not a moral or religous one, it is argued life starts when the blood begins to pump within the body, the heart begins to beat.

At eight weeks gestation, this fetus is able to kick and straighten his legs, turn them round and move his arms up and down.

At ten weeks gestation, this fetus can move her arms and legs with a range of movements that are fluid and supple.

At 22 weeks gestation babies are capable of fine hand and finger movements. In a short space of time this baby scratches, rubs and pats his cheek before doing the same to his nose.

the human embryonic organism formed at fertilization is a whole human being, and therefore it is not just a “blob” or a “bunch of cells.” This new human individual also has a mixture of both the mother’s and the father’s chromosomes, and therefore it is not just a “piece of the mother’s tissues”. Quoting Carlson: As demonstrated above, the human embryonic organism formed at fertilization is a whole human being, and therefore it is not just a “blob” or a “bunch of cells.” This new human individual also has a mixture of both the mother’s and the father’s chromosomes, and therefore it is not just a “piece of the mother’s tissues”.

May wish to check out some of the interesting facts and myths vs facts on this here:

FEELINGS, INCOME, and/or How someone MAY treat a baby after it’s born is no excuse for murdering it. That is how I feel.

~sanity
    So little of it left in the world.

28. sanity says:

Steve you still didnt answer the question.

You can peace out all you want, but may wish to stick around and answer them.

29. Baklava says:

There aren’t many priests or fathers or rabbi’s who interpret the 10 commandments the way you do Steve. You should recognize JUST A LITTLE BIT that you are not morally superior and there are different views out there. (and maybe at least 25% of the time answer the questions posed to you).

BTW, don’t pretend you are a Christian as you haven’t followed all of the 10 commandments either (in your writings alone). Can I say that? You told us not to pretend.. I just returned the favor.

Is this the debate you want? /end childish behavior

30. Baklava says:

Sanity, you are preaching to the choir. Just trying for some middle ground with the Brian types. I wonder if he’d advocate for having the restrictions that France and Germany at least have or if he’s going to stay in the “extreme” camp.

31. PCD says:

Sanity,

steve is just mad because we don’t subscribe to the Gospel of steve.

32. sanity says:

Baklava,

Nods, wasn’t trying to jump you…lol

Just thought, even if we look at this from a Scientific point of when life begins, when blood and heartbeats, people would be suprised at how soon that is.

Plus thought the link may help with some Myth vs Facts on the subject.

Steve, for others, Christian does not mean holier-than-thou-art attitude. Everyone is a sinner, (not trying to preach), but if we follow the bible, it gives us what we need ot live our lives. Picking and choosing which Commandments to follow does not make you a good Christian, or quoting them out of context either.

As I stated earlier, an eye-for-an-eye has been a punishment from early in our history, given through the bible, and enacted by man. If in this act of punishment to the offending party, whether it be eye-for-an-eye, tooth-for-a-tooth, or life-for-a-life, and have been found that you are wrong in your enactment of punishment, you will have God to answer to.

Again, not trying to preach, but this has been part of our histroy and to compare the killing of innocents (unborn children) to the death penalty of convited murderers of hienous crimes just puts to much of a gap between logic and idiocy.

You can state no murder, no killing as much as you like, but there is and always has been in the Bible a background on it for those who murder.

I will research more into this if you need, but I suggest you look yourself. Laziness is not a virtue, but if in your search you need help, all you need do is but ask, I and many others would gladly light your way with understanding.

And yes, that is a genuine offer.

~sanity
    there is so little left in the world.

33. PCD says:

steve, you have been demonstrating that you believe you are morally superior to anyone here. You are both the poser and the joke. You believe that it was more peaceful when Saddam killed his own people, and raped and pillaged his neighbors.

34. Baklava says:

Just imposing peace on earth my friend. It’s what’s you want too right? :arrow:

35. sanity says:

Steve,

You may wish to keep on topic instead of going off on the rant of everything Bush. This article, as far as I could tell, has NOTHING to do with the Bush administration.

~sanity
    there is so little left in the world.

36. Sanity — thanks for pointing that out. I had missed it the first time around. steve has alread been warned about this. His post was deleted.

Time for a posting break steve.

37. Kevin says:

Not exactly on topic, but I made an error in my previous post and would like to correct it. I para-quoted my mother as saying:

A woman who wants an abortion and is not allowed to have one will end up torturing that child, possibly unintentionally, possibly not, but torturing them nevertheless.

She sent me an email correcting me and clarifying her position:

The unloved child can feel tortured because their needs are basically for comfort and love, and without these needs being met, emotional/mental human development cannot occur. The unloved child usually grows into an adult filled hatred and rage, whom often become sociopaths, criminals, etc, and treat others as they have been treated. They cannot do otherwise as it is all they know how to do. So the damage is continued and increased through generations.

You can see that she is eruditer than me :)

38. Brian says:

Baklava,

Abortion is not murder. Just because you say it is doesn’t make it so.

According to the World Health Organization, 68,000 women die a result of complications of unsafe abortion and between two million and seven million women each year survive unsafe abortion, but sustain long-term damage or disease (incomplete abortion, infection (sepsis), hemorrhage and injury to the internal organs, such as puncturing or tearing of the uterus).(IPAS).
    Is 68,000 deaths from unsafe abortions not enough for you? How many more deaths would you like to see?

The fact is that in countries with the lowest abortions rates, abortions are safe and legal, while in many countries with the highest abortion rates, abortions are illegal. In Columbia, women can be imprisoned for up to four and a half years for having abortions even in cases of rape or when their lives are at risk.
    With a population of approximately 41 million people, it is estimated that approximately 450,000 abortions occur every year in Colombia. This would be equivalent to the United States having approximately 3 million abortions each year.

It seems that based on the policies that many of them support, most anti-abortionists are more interested in punishing people responsible for abortions rather than preventing them in the first place.

39. PCD says:

Brian,

you may want to rethink using wikipedia as a source since any activist can put any amount of propaganda in the definitions, and they have especially from your side of the aisle.

40. sanity says:

Brian,

Your wrong.
    You wouldn’t be standing here today if your mother decided to murder you.

If we were to do the same thing to someone in a coma lets just say, there would be massive outcry of murder.

Partial-birth abortion also is murder. I will give you links to pictures of partial birth abortions and let you decide for yourself. It is an absolutely disgusting how LIFE has been denegrated to its lowest denominator.

The only way to end this debate would be for once and for all, have a consensus of when life begins.

Sighs

This whole topic makes my head hurt and heart ache. I cannot look at my children (ages 1.5 and 3) and even think of that possibility, to even think of them not being there. They are LIFE, they didn’t suddenly come into being as soon as they left the womb.

41. sanity says:

Re-reading some of what you posted brian, I have to wonder, when do we base how we write our laws and live our lives according to other countries?

Some countries have a culture of chopping of hands or stoning a person to death also. Just becasue it may seem like a good idea for thier culture and country does not make it good for ours.

Does the US have a moral superiority, maybe in some extent we do feel that way, but I don’t think we do. But what country has more immigration and foriegn individuals flocking to it every day? For everyones bashing and hating of the US, they either one, do it from WITHIN the US (the place the hate so much), or they are trying to get into the US to enjoy the freedoms that the US enjoys.

Btw, just because YOU say abortion is not murder does not make it not so also.

42. Baklava says:

Brian, I didn’t say abortion was murder. You wrote, Just because you say it is doesn’t make it so

Please refrain from lying about what I wrote. Your inaccurate accusations is a pattern but when you do it about what I say there is no point in engaging with you.

I simply changed the words in your post by replacing abortion with murder to make a point which was LOST on you.

1) Do you see the point now?
    2) Do you see the question that was asked of you of which week of life you would support a law like France and Germany’s and can you come to some middle ground (where France and Germany went to at least) and support no social abortions past the 10th or 12th week?

43. Baklava says:

By the way, abortion IS a termination of a life.

While I didn’t call it murder as you incorrectly accused me of… I’m not sure why you went on that tangent except maybe to divert attention and not have to answer whether you’d support a ban on social abortions after the 10th or 12th week like France and Germany?

44. Brian says:

Baklava,

Your comment, “Anti-murderists are unable to understand that making murder illegal doesn’t stop people from murdering”, gave me the impression you were equating abortion with murder. I wasn’t lying about what you said. I misunderstood you. Making murder illegal does stop many people from murdering. There is no evidence that making abortion illegal stops women from having abortions. In the countries with the lowest abortion rates, abortions are safe and legal. In countries with the highest abortion rates abortion is illegal.

Making social abortions illegal past the 12th week won’t stop women from having abortions past the 12th week. It seems the whole anti-abortion movement is about punishing people involved with abortions rather than preventing them from taking place.

45. sanity says:

So legality is now the question?

So lets make everything legal since someone is bound to break the law even if it’s illegal.

Cocaine=legal
    Murder=legal

What difference does laws make?

Laws and rules are what keep us from becoming some backwater country where anarchy is the only constant.

There will always be some kind of abortion, even if it is made illegal, just the same as there are other crimes committed even if the act is illegal. That is why we have a criminal justice system. To determine if the law has been broken and punish those who break the law.

And before people begin to say your punishing those in medical need or the life of the mother is in danger, those should be determined on a case by case basis. Because it is WELL KNOWN, that most abortions are for convienence (don’t want to interupt thier life style, they don’t want a baby but got pregnant anyways by accident, will cause them hardship for college, wont get the job they want…ect) and not even most are for life threatening of the mother.

46. Brian says:

Sanity,

Making cocaine and murder illegal prevents many people from committing murders or using cocaine. There is no evidence that making abortion illegal will prevent anyone from having an abortion. The fact is that in the countries with the lowest abortion rates, abortions are safe and legal while in many countries with the highest abortion rates, abortions are against the law.

47. oh, yeah, and not trying to be rude, but Brian, I think that abortion is murder, because, You have a direct blood stream going into you, as you are in your mothers uterous, and when you kill that, then you have just cut off the blood stream going into that poor, litle innocent baby, so therefore, in conclusion, abortion is murder.
    Please write back on waht you think about this, thanks, Josh.