Walkin’ in a winter wonderland …

Posted by: ST on December 21, 2006 at 11:29 am

Seasonal linkage for your perusal:

—- If you are or will be attempting to travel to or from Denver over the next few days, I’m afraid you’re going to be SOL. See photos of a cold, wet, windy, and snowy Denver here.

—- So much for Allen Iverson’s debut with the Nuggets … the Suns/Nuggets game was postponed due to the bad weather there.

—- Speaking of cold, the MSM buzz is that the US economy is “cooling” while retailers are “uncertain” as to how merry Christmas may be.

—- It’s hard to believe but it’s true: two jerks have been arrested for repeatedly stabbing Frosty the Snowman. I’ve heard of LOW, but this is like lower than low – like lower than the gum on the bottom of your shoe. Why the hell would anyone want to stab Frosty?

—- Hot Air has video of a series of clips someone at YouTube did of Senator Obama on whether or not he will run for pres. As one commenter there said, it’s both funny AND scary. Here’s how the background song starts: “Run, they told me, pa rum pa pum pum.” It has a very Christmasy feel to it ;)

—- Another year with no white Christmas in Charlotte. :( One of these days, I’m gonna experience a real white Christmas even if I have to go to the mountains to do it.

—- It’s Christmas tree decorating time with Britney Spears! Just in time to make your holidays complete.

—- Did you hear about the “hunky” shirtless Santa? Some shoppers dig him, but I say save it for the beach, pal. THIS is what Santa is supposed to look like.

—- This story about a a “wrong number” Santa is cute:

A California man has been inundated with hundreds of calls from children who are trying to reach Santa Claus but dialed the wrong number, the Associated Press reports from Goleta, Calif.

“I just sit down by the fireplace and play Santa Claus,” John Dickinson said. “I’ll probably be playing Santa every year.”

Dickinson runs the santabarbara.com website and fields calls from people who dial 1-800-SANTABARBARA (1-800-726-8222). That number differs by one digit from 1-800-SANTACLAUS (1-800-726-8225).

About 100 children a day dial the wrong number.

“I’ve spent the last two weeks listening to what children want for Christmas. It’s been fun,” Dickinson said.

“The kids are real serious, and very specific,” he said. “They get right to the point. They say, ‘I want this, I want this, I want this.’ I always make sure they’ve been nice.”

:) Love it!

—- Just where the heck is the REAL Santa, anyway? Track his whereabouts here. Santa’s gone cyber, by the way, and you and/or your kids can send him an email here. Gotta love technology!

—- Lastly, for discussion purposes, are you a last minute shopper or are you one who gets your shopping done in a timely manner? I’m done. I just cannot deal with Charlotte Christmas traffic and the other shoppers so I like to get done early.

Cross-posted at Iowa Voice, where I and a few other bloggers are helping out Brian while he’s out of town

13 Responses to “Walkin’ in a winter wonderland …”

Comments

I shop through out the year. Earlier in the year I found some hand mixers by black and decker for about 10 bucks. I bought 3 of them, 1 for myself and 2 as gifts. I will be giving only 1 away to my niece as part of her Christmas present this year. The other I will keep as it will be ok stored away. There are somethings for some people that I put off to the last minute. But those are like gift cards and so forth. – Lorica

2. Perri Nelson says:

The incident with Frosty is a true shame. A couple of years ago I had Santa and Frosty inflatables in my yard and a slasher came and disemboweled them both.
    It put a damper on what was already turning out to be a bummer of a Christmas, since we were having problems with our son.
    We tried taping them together, but the tape just wouldn’t hold. Our ultimate solution was to bring them inside and sew them back together. They’ve stood in our yard every Christmas season since then with no damage.

3. benning says:

I am penniless this season, so my Folks will have to accept my sparkling wit and personality as their “gift” for the Holiday!:(

4. Steve Skubinna says:

I dunno – ever since the Calvin and Hobbes episode with the Killer Mutant Snow Goons I can’t suppress a shudder whenever I see Frosty.

5. If it snows in Raleigh this year, your more then welcome to come and partake the shovelling of my driveway, ST :-j

6. Phil says:

Awww there there poor little ST don’t cry, You should live up here and I will live down there, I don’t like snow but there is plenty of snow up here in Minnesota.

7. Phil says:

Awww there there poor little benning that’s alright don’t you cry now, I too am penniless this season, don’t fear your folks will always except you because you are their present. Cheer up benning and ST things could be a lot worse.:d

8. Great White Rat says:

Snow?? I don’t even like the SOUND of the word!! x(

You’re welcome to any of it we get here in NJ, for the rest of the winter. Now all we gotta do is arrange for the Man Upstairs to approve the transfer. :d

As for Christmas shopping, I’ve never found it to be a problem. You point, click, and boxes miraculously appear at your door. The only time traffic is a problem is when too many people try to get to the same web site. :-j

9. Steve Skubinna says:

I’ve never understood people living in northern climes who complain about snow. Whenever somebody from Minnesota starts on about how much he hates it, I tune him out right away.

Arizona. New Mexico. Southern California. Heck, Singapore, Manila, Darwin, Cairo, Jakarta, Madras, pick a spot, buy a one way ticket, and STFU.

10. Phil says:

To Steve Skubinna

I am getting older that is why I can’t handle it like I used to. Steve Skubinna and mean while since you say that you tune a person out, I guess that means that you didn’t tune me out enough because you had to open your big fat trap and act like a retard.

11. Phil says:

One more thing Steve Skubinna are you always this stupid or are you making a special effort today.

12. Ryan says:

I’ll be flying through Denver during the aftermath. San Jose to Denver to Fargo. Fun.