Just a few hours away from 2007

Posted by: ST on December 31, 2006 at 5:27 pm

Happy New Year!Here are some New Year-related links for your perusal:

—- Australia, of course, has already celebrated the new year with a beautiful fireworks display at the Sydney Harbor Bridge.

—- Here are photos of other New Year fireworks displays from places already into the New Year. More here.

—- In the meantime, Bangkok is ringing in the New Year on a not so great note. Via the AP:

BANGKOK, Thailand – Nine bombs exploded across Bangkok as the Thai capital celebrated the New Year, killing two people and driving thousands of revelers home as the city canceled its countdown festivities.

The bombings late Sunday and early Monday capped a year of unrest in Thailand, including a military coup three months ago and an increasingly violent Muslim insurgency in the south.

Six near-simultaneous explosions Sunday night killed two people and injured 26.

Hours later, near the same shopping complex where thousands of people had planned to count down the New Year, three blasts minutes after midnight wounded eight people, including a foreigner who was rushed to the hospital after her legs were blown off, the iTV television station reported.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

National police chief Gen. Ajirawit Suphanaphesat said he did not believe insurgents were behind the attacks in Bangkok, a major international banking and technology hub for Asia.

Bangkok Mayor Apirak Kosayothin ordered the cancellation of the two major public New Year’s Eve countdown celebrations and other smaller ones.

“Due to several bomb explosions in Bangkok and for the sake of peace and security, I would ask all of you to return to your homes now” Apirak told some 5,000 revelers at the downtown Central World Plaza shopping mall, hours before the second set of explosions went off in the area. The crowd dispersed quickly but calmly.

The Counterterrorism blog is on top of the latest developments there, and notes that one suspected has been arrested.

—- Fresh off of creating yet another new “milestone” for troops deaths in Iraq, the MSM moves on to another one, this time, the 3,000th death. No matter the media’s obsession with casualties in the war, I’d like to wish our fighting men and women serving all the best in the coming year. May God bless you, and we’re all hoping things will take a turn for the better in Iraq and Afghanistan so you can start coming home.

—- Will attendance for the annual Times Square New Year’s eve festivities break the previous record?

—- The Washington Times reports on some new laws in various states that will take effect in the new year.

—- Slate posts what they believe to be the best cartoons of 2006.

—- Want to make more money in 2007? CNN’s Money page has some tips for you, you evil greedy capitalist $-)

—- The MSN movie page takes a look back at the entertainers we lost this year.

—- ABC posts their list of the 10 most annoying songs for 2006.

—- “Economists” are predicting “slow economic growth” and “no recession” for 2007.

—- Check out NRO’s symposium of opinions on the best and worst of politics in 2006.

—–

Lastly, I’d like to wish each and every one of my readers a very happy new year. Thanks for continuing to visit this blog and sharing your opinions with me on the various important issues of the day. 2006 was a great year for this blog, and I’m hoping 2007 will be even better <:-p

• Leaning Straight Up trackbacked with Happy New Year from LSU- A reflection or two
  • 15 Responses to “Just a few hours away from 2007”

Comments

1. Happy New Year – ST.

Next Year, you’ll have to refer to me as Justin Thibault, Professional Engineer. Sorry, I found out yesterday and I’m still in the “telling the world stage”

2. stackja says:

“ABC posts their list of the 10 most annoying songs for 2006.” Cole Porter said “Good authors too who once knew better words Now only use four-letter words Writing prose. Anything goes.:d
      Progess?
      “Fresh off of creating yet another new “milestone” for troops deaths in Iraq, the MSM moves on to another one, this time, the 3,000th death.”
      And the MSM continues with its deplorable monomania.

3. sanity says:

Ringing in the New Year with me working the night away for the next 12 hours.

Which brings me to a joke that was sent to me that I got a chuckle out of………

Best Joke of the year

A Somali arrives in Minneapolis as a new immigrant to the United States..

He stops the first person he sees walking down the street and says…..

“Thank you Mr. American for letting me in this country, giving me housing, food stamps FREE medical care and free education!”

The passer-by says….

“You are mistaken, I am Mexican”.

The man goes on and encounters another passer-by.

“Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in America !

The person says….

“I no American, I Vietnamese.

The new arrival walks further, and the next person he sees he stops, shakes his hand and says…..

“Thank you for the wonderful America !”

That person puts up his hand and says “I am from Middle East , I am not an American!”

He finally sees a nice lady and asks, “Are you an American?”

She says, “No, I am from Russia !”

Puzzled he asks her……

“Where are all the Americans?

The Russian lady checks her watch and says….

“Probably at work!”

Yes. Yes, I am at work.
      12 hours last night and 12 hours again tonight.
      Sun goes down I am at work, sun comes up I am leaving work.

There is a lesson in this I think:
      Nothing in life is free, someone, somewhere has paid for what you think is free.

Happy New Year, may it be better than the last and filled with joy and happiness for you and yours. May the troops feel the warmth we send them across the waves, and that America and at the very least THIS American, appreciates and honors the sacrifices and the hardships they go through for freedom.

God bless them all, and all of you.

If your drinking, be safe, and don’t drive.

4. chris says:

Happy New Year everyone. And an early congrats to Mr. Thibualt. :)

God Bless!

5. Mwalimu Daudi says:

My Very Own Awards Of 2006:

Best Political Moment Of 2006: Corker beating Ford for the Senate seat in Tennessee. The race card gets trumped, and sanity reigns for a moment.

Worst Political Moment Of 2006: Webb beating Allen in Virginia. Trailer-park trash wins a Senate seat.

Joseph Goebbels Language Award: The word macaca. It winds up controlling an election – and the US Senate. This one word was enough for voters to go berserk with fury. Even if they never knew what it meant.

Who Wants To Be The Next Neville Chamberlain Award: The voters of Pennsylvania. Senator Rick Santorum announces the discovery of WMDs in Iraq – and gets thumped in November for his efforts. How can you have truth in a political system when the truth is politically lethal?

The Let’s Punt On Every Down Award: The Republican Party. Perhaps I am naive, but at some point a GOP campaign committee has to, well, campaign for GOP candidates. Mostly, Republicans cowered whenever a Democrat brayed, “Don’t question my patriotism – I’ll question yours instead.” Even when the GOP awoke for a moment from its coma, they backed a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat in RI called “Missing Linc” Chafee. And still lost.

The I’ll Shoot Myself In The Foot To Teach Them A Lesson Award: The GOP version of the Darwin Awards. Given to all Republicans/Independents who stayed home on election day, trying to “teach the GOP a lesson”. Higher taxes, impeachment, an al Qaeda surge, a crackdown on civil liberties – yep, what a brilliant move on the part of the “stay at home” crowd. Real Einstein material, these voters.

The It’s Not Corruption If A Democrat Does It Award: The Louisiana voters who re-elected William Jefferson-not-Clinton. Kind of follows the “It’s Not Rape If A Democrat Does It” logic William Jefferson Clinton die-hards argued for years.

The Joe Wilson Integrity Award: The MSM for it reaction to the discovery of 500+ WMDs in Iraq (the weapons were too old, too strong, too weak, too dispersed, chemical rather than nuclear, wrong color, texture, taste, smell, odor, etc.).

The 2 + 2 = 5 Award In Mathematics, Science and Engineering: Global warming cultists who predicted a half-dozen Category 5 hurricanes to hit the US in 2006 and missed the mark by a half-dozen. Global warming – the trendiest scientific theory since race science, phrenology, Piltdown Man, and global cooling.

Most Terrifying Moment Of 2006: The execution of Saddam Hussein. Scary for Democrats, anyway.

The Best Moment Of 2006: The execution of Saddam Hussein. There is some justice in the world after all.

Congratulations Justin!!! Happy New Year Dear. I hope and pray that God continues to bless you in every way your heart desires. You may never know how much of a blessing you are to us, but truly you are. >:d< – Lorica

7. - This just in: Saddaam Hussein still dead! Film at 11….

- Happy New year to you and your family ST, and to all your faithful, entertaining, and thoughtful readers, and all the happiness and prosperity to everyone for the coming year!

- Big Bang reveler – <:-p

8. Tom TB says:

Since I’m still awake, I’ll keep celebrating ’til the ball drops at the International Date Line! Happy New Year, one and all, and keep up the good work in ’07, Sister!

9. Ryan says:

Happy New Year all!

I spent midnight just getting off my flight and waiting for my bags at San Jose Airport.

10. TedintheShed says:

“Want to make more money in 2007? CNN’s Money page has some tips for you, you evil greedy capitalist.”

From CNN?!?!? I’ll pass. :-w

11. Phil says:

Happy New Year Everyone and a especially thanks to ST for the Joke of the year. There all at work? Yes Indeed.

12. Severian says:

The NYT and others are bleating about the “rush” to hang Saddam. If they’d waited a year, the NYT and others would be whining about “well, you haven’t hanged him for a year and we all survived why hang him at all?” Nothing really would have satisfied them than the US putting Saddam back in charge, helping him out, and paying him restitution. :o

Ah well, it’s 2007, we’ll see how this one turns out. Hope for the best, vote, do what you can, and keep on rollin down the road. Happy New Year to all.

13. NC Cop says:

Congrats, Justin!!! That’s fantastic!!

Mwalimu Daudi, that was some of the funniest stuff I’ve seen yet!!! At the same time, it’s also very sad, how does that work?!

/:)

Probably because it’s so true.

I hope 2007 brings health and happiness to all the S.T. readers. This could be one of the biggest years for us, let’s gear up!!!!!!!

14. Great White Rat says:

Exactly, Sev. If the Iraqis had waited, then the NYT would be taking the Gitmo line: why aren’t they moving faster to administer justice? You can’t win with them, so it’s not even worth trying. Just do the right thing. And, except for having Sadr’s thugs administer the noose, the Iraqi government did exactly the right thing.

Here’s wishing a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2007 to ST and all the readers here!! <:-p