Islamic terrorists flee ‘last remaining stronghold’ in Somalia

Posted by: ST on January 1, 2007 at 6:38 pm

Good news from Mogadishu:

MOGADISHU, Somalia – Fighters belonging to a militant Islamist movement fled into a rugged, forested corner of Somalia from rapidly advancing government forces Monday, and the prime minister offered amnesty if they surrendered.

Regional diplomats worked to arrange the speedy deployment of African peacekeepers to help the interim government establish its authority in the country, which has known only anarchy for 15 years.

As the last remaining stronghold of the Islamic group was overrun by government troops backed by Ethiopian tanks and MiG fighter jets, the net began closing on suspected al-Qaida militants believed to be sheltered by the hard-line group.

Neighboring Kenya vowed to seal its frontier to prevent any extremists, now wedged against the sea and their border, from escaping the 13-day military offensive.

Sea routes from southern Somalia were also being patrolled by the U.S. Navy, hunting for three al-Qaida suspects believed to be among the Islamic group and wanted for the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in East Africa.

“Kenya cannot be a haven for people who are not wanted by their lawful government,” Kenyan government spokesman Alfred Matua said.

Thousands of Somalis have fled their homes in the wake of advancing Ethiopian and government forces, but most have returned to their homes once the fighting subsided. The U.N. refugee agency has sent supplies to the Kenyan border as a precaution, but so far there has been no increase in the number of Somalis seeking refuge in Kenya, said Christian Balslev-Olesen, country director for Kenya for UNICEF.

The military advance marked a stunning turnaround for Somalia’s government, which just weeks ago could barely control one town — its base of Baidoa — while the Council of Islamic Courts controlled the capital and much of southern Somalia.

But with the intervention of Ethiopia, which has one of Africa’s largest armies, the Islamic group has been forced from the capital of Mogadishu and other key towns in the last 10 days. Its casualties run into the thousands, Ethiopia said.

The article goes on to note that the radical Islamists have vowed to fight an “Iraq-style guerilla war” if defeated.

Hat tip to Captain Ed, who writes:

The Islamists can expect no peace, however. The Ethiopian air force scoured the coast for Islamists attempting to reach the harbors of Kenya, specifically Ras Kamboni, where they have a center of operations. The collapse of their hold in Somalia has punctured the myth of invincibility of these supposed holy warriors and exposed as lies their pledges to fight to the death to hold the ummah. Now that they have shown their true colors, the armies of Kenya and Ethiopia will have little trouble wiping up what’s left of the terrorist and tyrranous Arab and South Asian militias.

Once again, this shows the West how to properly square off against Islamist forces. Only by conducting a true war with massive, overwhelming force will these terrorists be destroyed.

Fortunately neither Somalia nor Ethiopia are hamstrung like we are by political correctness and do gooders within their governments, media, and the United Nations who believe that if we just ‘understood’ the enemy that we could all get along together in peace and harmony. Hats off to Somalia and the Ethiopians in this imporatant – and hopefully sustainable – victory in the war on terror.

Related: Via Sweetness and Light: 1500 Somalis in Minnesota protest Islamic defeat in Somalia:

More than a thousand Somalis gathered in Minneapolis on Saturday to call for Ethiopian troops to withdraw immediately from Somalia.

Their protest capped a week in which transitional government troops retook Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital, with the backing of Ethiopian infantrymen.

The U.S. government “gave the green light” to Ethiopia to work in concert with the transitional federal government in Somalia, and that action was “totally wrong,” said Hassan Mohamud.

He is the president of the Somali Institute for Peace and Justice in Minneapolis, which organized Saturday’s rally.

“We ask the president of the United States, Mr. Bush, and his administration to stop supporting the terrorists. Ethiopian troops are terrorists,” Mohamud said to a cheering crowd.

Somali men, women and children gathered Saturday morning in Peavey Park in Minneapolis, and they carried an array of signs. Some said “No more war” and “Islam is the solution.”

Riiiight.

• Right Pundits trackbacked with Somalia Akbar
  • 8 Responses to “Islamic terrorists flee ‘last remaining stronghold’ in Somalia”

Comments

1. TomR says:

This just shows that the Islamists can be defeated by military means if the Rules of Engagement are realistic. I read that the Ethiopians first ROE was, “anyone with a rifle and no uniform is a target”.

2. Mwalimu Daudi says:

This post has brought back memories from when I lived in Tanzania. At the time there was a problem in the northern Tanzania/southern Kenya region caused by Somali bandits from defeated Somali clans (this was in 1999). Because many of them spoke Swahili, these bandits were able to blend in with the some of the local tribes and prey on commercial busses and passenger cars on deserted roads. They also attacked isolated homes and looted their contents after killing the occupants.

The problem was “solved” by first the Kenyan army and later the Tanzanian army conducting military maneuvers to disperse the bandits. This scared the locals who had shielded the Somali bandits to turn them out. But what it really meant was that the bandits just went somewhere else or blended into the local population for good.

I wonder if something similar will happen now. It frightens me that an area that I still think of as home – and that has so many family members on my wife’s side living there – might see a rise in Islamofascism from these Somali terrorists.

IMO both the governments of Tanzania and Kenya, while stable, are weak and (in the case of Tanzania at least) horribly inefficient and corrupt. Both countries have large Muslim populations concentrated in certain geographic areas, and both were locations of the US embassies that were bombed in 1998. With enough internal pressure, one or both could collapse suddenly.

While the Islamists may make good on their pledge to fight an Iraq-style insurgency in Somalia, they may also move south to possible easier pickings. This is both my wife’s and my own personal nightmare.

3. NC Cop says:

Unfortunately I think the guerilla war is just beginning. These cowards run from the battlefield and will start their campaign of blowing up govt. troops and then running into civilian population. It ain’t over yet.

Oddly enough, I’ve hardly heard a peep from all the “anti-war” protestors. Where are all the celebrities enraged about loss of life and the overthrow of a nation. Oh, that’s right, it’s only when the U.S. is involved that their morality compels them to speak out.

4. Mwalimu Daudi says:

I agree with you NC Cop. I believe that there is a subtle but very real racism in much of the anti-war movement.

I saw it in the Democrats’ and the MSM’s general reaction to the genocide in Rwanda while it was at its peak in 1994. For these folks (I am now officially off-topic), Rwanda was just a case of black Africans killing black Africans – in their eyes a normal state of affairs that did not trouble them unduly. I find much of the recent media fascination with Rwanda both hypocritical and tardy – where were they in 1994, when it might have done some good?

5. Dana says:

If the 1,500 Islamist Somalis in the US wish to protest, I think it is perfectly reasonable for them each to grab a gun and head for their homeland to fight for their country. I wish them Godspeed!

My favorite is when Hotel Rwanda came out in 2004 and, I think it was George Clooney said, “this movie proves that Hollywood is on the cutting edge of what is going in the world”. I had to laugh as I realized that he was about 10 years late to be cutting edge.

I agree with Dana, if those of the “religion of peace” wants to stop a war, get out of our country go back to yours and pick up a weapon.

It is tragic what Islam is doing to Africa. It is such a beautiful place, and as MD exhibits, infects people with such a love of place. I have prayed for the people of Sudan for 15 years now. I never forget them in my prayers, hoping that there will eventually be some relief for them.

I was very happy that Ethiopia decided to help the people of Somalia and kick out these invaders. I pray that Kenya will be able to handle these evil men if they decide to move south. – Lorica