Pelosi backtracks on her minimum wage hypocrisy, while Rep. Frank freaks out

Posted by: ST on January 14, 2007 at 10:06 am

On Friday, I blogged about a Washington Times story that talked about how Rep. Pelosi was showing favoritism to a company in her San Francisco district by not including that company – along with all other American Samoa companies – from the new federal requirement she wants to put in place to raise the minimum wage. The WashTimes reports in a followup story that Pelosi is reversing course:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi yesterday said Democrats will close a loophole in the House-passed minimum wage increase that exempts American Samoa — an action taken after it was revealed that one of the U.S. territory’s main employers is based in her congressional district.

“I have asked the Education and Labor Committee as they go forward with the legislation to make sure that all of the territories have to comply with U.S. law on the minimum wage,” Mrs. Pelosi said.

Related to this, Ian at Hot Air has video of Rep. Barney Frank erupting over the controversy over this issue. Ian sets the stage:

The Republican arguing with power-hungry Barney Frank is Patrick McHenry. McHenry rose to offer an amendment that would exempt American Samoa from the stem-cell bill — a clear dig at the fact that Samoa, which is home to StarKist factories that employ nearly 75% of the island’s work force, was conspicuously exempt from the minimum-wage bill that had passed the day before.

Here’s the video:

The Boston Globe writes a glowing review of Frank’s actions here.

22 Responses to “Pelosi backtracks on her minimum wage hypocrisy, while Rep. Frank freaks out”

Comments

1. Tim Burton says:

Final Questions:

1. Was Pelosi being ethical?
    2. Does Samoa have a 14th Amendment case if the loophole isn’t closed?
    3. Are the Democrats being racist toward Samoans?

2. Sprockett says:

This was my weekend laugh :d

Barney Frank and others on the left have employed the same exact tactics time and time again, but like every liberal out there. They can dish it out, but they certainly can’t take it!!!

Pelosi overreached on this one and gave the other side lots of ammo, I may be alone in saying this but this is going to be a fun two years. These people are elitist, and they last time they where in power they had a very very willing accomplice in the media. But this time around the game has changed and every word they say is being scrutinized and reported on, they are dinosaurs and unable to change their ways. While it’s true the MSM will spin this, more and more people are turning them off and using the internet to get their news. And that’s a bad thing when can’t get in front of a camera without lying through your teeth.

In fact I can’t remember the last time I watched ANY news on T.V. at all. They don’t get it and they never will, when your an elitist the normal rules simply don’t apply!. And that’s on both sides of the aisle, if we want TRUE ethics in Washington then we need to change the rules that applies to our elected officials so that they have to live under the same rules that we do. It may be a dream, but these people should be held to a much higher standard than we are, not the other way around…

-Paul-

3. tom says:

Its sad that Frank had to educate his fellow congressmen on parliamentary procedure. McHenry was attempting to circumvent house rules with his ridiculous and politically motiviated amendment, Frank simply pointed this out and kicked him to the curb. Job well done.

4. Baklava says:

Tom, Politically motivated amendment? It would’ve been the same kind of amendment in the minimum wage bill passed by the Democrats?

Can you say “double-standard” Tom? :)

“Kicked him to the curb”? Violence is not the key answer Tom.

“Job well done”? If double-standards is the standard sure….

LOL Bak, come on man. You know that when it comes to irony a Dem thinks it means “mostly made of iron”. It is completely lost on them. Most Dems haven’t met a double standard they haven’t embraced. Tom is just proving this yet again for us. – Lorica

6. Great White Rat says:

Most Dems haven’t met a double standard they haven’t embraced.

Right on the money, Lorica. The surest way to determine what a liberal really wants is to listen to what they say and turn it 180 degress.

Like when they say they support our troops, but do everything in their power to thwart them.

Like when they whine about the sanctity of the ballot box, but cultivate vote fraud on a massive scale in places like Seattle, Philadelphia, and St. Louis.

Like when they talk about middle-class tax cuts, and instead raise taxes on everyone.

Like when Pelosi promises an ethical House, and then puts people like Conyers and Frank in charge of committees.

And the list could go on endlessly.

Amen GWR, but let’s not forget Chicago in that list. Never seen a grave yard in Chicago that didn’t vote Dem. – Lorica

8. tom says:

Baklava –
    Yes, Politically Motivated Ammendment (attempt)

The minimum wage bill you refer to didn’t specifically exempt American Somoa from the law. American Somoa has been exempt from the minimum wage laws for years. There was no ammendment put forth by Pelosi or anyone else. Of course you wouldn’t know this because O’Reilly and Hannity would not have told you so. I understand.

Now, what does American Somoa have to do with stem-cell research? That’s right. Nothing. Thus my comment about a politically motiviated attempt for publicity to try to make something out of nothing to paint the Dems in a bad light. The sad part is, this tactic works because most of the population hasn’t a clue beyond the headlines they read in WaPo.

BTW, I agree with you that violence is not the answer.

9. Sprockett says:

So Tom how do you rate Mr Frank when he pulled the same exact scenario on the other party?, is he now above reproach because he’s the victim this time?

I love how people so blithely apply a double standard too these types of things, Barney was getting a good dose of his own medicine. Obviously he didn’t like the taste very much, too bad that he spent so much of the last 12 years dishing it out that he forgot what it’s like on the other side.

Not to mention that no one can throw a proper hissy fit like good ole ‘pediophile in my house’ Barney…

-Paul-

10. tom says:

Frank was not the victim here, the process was. And I bet you were thowing a hissy fit when Frank did the same thing during the Republican rule? I love how you guys are all crying double standard. Safe to say it goes both ways, no?

11. Ryan says:

You completely missed the point of this, Tom.

I thought this was the 1st time the American Territories were included in the minimum wage??? That is why it is so significant that Ms Pelosi wanted to exclude the American Samoa. Why should every other company have to pay the minimum wage when a company that is in Ms Pelosi’s district isn’t. – Lorica

13. Baklava says:

Tom really funnily wrote, “The minimum wage bill you refer to didn’t specifically exempt American Somoa from the law. American Somoa has been exempt from the minimum wage laws for years.

You think we are dumb? We know that. And… while Puerto Rico has to now comply with minimum wage, Pelosi was going to still exempt Somoa. Don’t attack us Tom assuming we don’t do research (talking about Hannityy and O’Reilly) because it only weakens your debate. I’ve been studying politics since 1991 when I was a liberal and converted to conservatism after visiting the library 3 times a week for a full year.

See. You assumed. You made erroneous accusations. You tore your own arguments apart.

What does American Somoa have to do with minimum wage? Your question posed is funny because what it does is bring full circle your lack of debating skills. Because on the topic at hand you are unclear. America Somoa was exempted once again while other territories were not exempted anymore. It would be appropriate to exempt American Somoa from other bills too right? No. Why not?

Last point. If violence is not the answer and you agree then I would like an apology for your glib way of lauding Frank for “kicking somebody to the curb”. I would hope you wouldn’t praise Frank for that in the future also. :)

14. Great White Rat says:

How interesting….

1. Pelosi arranges for Samoa to get an exemption from the minimum wage.

2. The largest employer on Samoa is Star-Kist.
    3. By sheer coincidence (I’m suuuuure), Star-Kist is headquartered in Pelosi’s district.

Anyone else care to connect the dots?

Further, some unconfirmed stories say Pelosi’s husband owns $17 million in DelMonte stock. DelMonte owns Star-Kist. Now, if those stories are correct, it would seem like Granny Pelosi was trying to line her own pockets with this stunt. We shall see.

Oh, and tom, all Congressman McHenry was doing was “speaking truth to power”. I thought all you guys were in favor of that, no?

15. Mwalimu Daudi says:

1. Pelosi arranges for Samoa to get an exemption from the minimum wage.

2. The largest employer on Samoa is Star-Kist.

/begin_pelosi_shuffle

I am suuuuure this is all Republicans’ fault. Somehow. Isn’t it about time to talk about Mark Foley instead?

/end_pelosi_shuffle

16. libertarianobserver says:

Oh, it gets better folks: If you’ve read “Do as I Say, Not as I Do” you’ll find that Pelosi and her husband own shares in hotels that refuse to allow union representation, as well as financial interests in vineyards that also don’t allow unions (and I’d be willing to bet that more than a few illegal aliens work in those vineyards as well.) The double standard is breathtaking.

17. G Monster says:

GWR…

I am the one that emailed the link from Wikipedia regarding Paul Pelosi owning 17 million dollars of Del Monte Stock.

I didn’t go directly to wikipedia, I googled “Del Monte” on 1/12/2007 after reading ST’s post regarding the American Somoa Exemption, to learn more about the company and ended up on the wikipedia site.

The statement on wikipedia was in the trivia section on 1/12/2007. I don’t know how long the statement had been there.

I do know that within a day after ST posted the link to wikipedia, the statement regarding Mr. Pelosi had dissappeared. Sometime on 1/13/2007.

I will tell you that I was unable to find any evidence on the internet that would confirm this statement to be true.

My guess is some hoakster, put this statement there, and erased it once it was discovered.

Which side of the blogosphere would the hoakster have been from?

Had it been a lefty, they probably would have left it up there and had a good laugh, whilst all the righties went nuts over the bogus story.

The fact that it was taken down so quickly makes me think the hoakster was a righty. Sorry, but that’s my hunch.

Or the story is 100% true and Nancy Pelosi reads sistertoldjah daily, and immediately pulled some strings at wikipedia to get the statement stricken from the website.

My bad for sending the original email to ST. I think the real story is not that American Somoa was exempted from the minimum wage bill, but that it was the first time that The Northern Mariana Islands were included in such a bill.

I’m an independent that reads and enjoys ST almost daily, as I typically agree with alot of the viewpoints expressed here.

But after watching a news show tonight regarding this subject, I have come to understand that the cost of living is much lower in American Somoa than in the continental United States.

Also, by raising the minimum wage, Del Monte/Sunkist may opt to cut jobs, or move to a non-american territoy to cut costs.

Therefore, my position has changed on this, and I think American Somoa and Northern Mariana Islands should be exempt from minimum wage bill, as should other parts of the United States, in situations where it makes sense to exempt them.

That my 2 cents.

18. G Monster says:

P.S. Ok, everyone go ahead and throw your empty coffee cups at me for my last post. Somehow I feel safer occassionally disagreeing with you guys than I would on a lefty blog.

19. Great White Rat says:

G Monster – what post is that? Don’t see another one by you on this thread. :)

20. Great White Rat says:

Ah…the post you referred to must have still been in moderation, or it’s not on the thread on my screen, G Monster. Thanks. :)

21. sanity says:

G Monster states:

And they will be empty…you think I am wasting coffee? I consider that worse than spilling beer…[chuckles]

22. G Monster says:

I am reposting this for GWR. The info below is what I posted earlier. Also, when I said go ahead and throw your empty coffee cups, I was refering to styrofoam, and paper coffee cups, not mugs, and with only a few drops of coffeee in them.

GWR…

Which side of the blogosphere would the hoakster have been from?

That my 2 cents.