Skanky versus subtle sexiness

Posted by: ST on February 28, 2007 at 7:02 pm

To set the stage for this thread, check out Allah’s post on a Christina Aguilera video where she’s showing support for the troops by paying homage to the Andrews Sisters with a song called “Candyman”

I’m pretty much in agreement with Allah on not caring for the song/video too much – he wrote this in the comments section:

“Yes, Amanda Marcotte would certainly not approve. Can we not have just a bit of subtlety, though, in an homage video like this?”

My response was:

Agreed with that one, and your other comments about the vid, Allah. There’s something to be said for being tastefully sexy and not overtly ‘letting it all hang out’, especially when it comes to an homage vid like the one in question. Although I have no problem whatsoever with the idea of giving the troops a ‘taste of home’ (to put it delicately).

Also, I see the word ‘prude’ being thrown around a bit in this thread, and I think that description – which has been levelled towards people who don’t like the vid – is off the mark. You don’t have to be a prude to find crude lyrics distasteful.

I think Professor Blather had some good points as well. There is something to be said for a woman who can be sexy and smoldering without being crude and lewd. Think Rita Hayworth’s WWII pinup.

What do you think? Are the days where classic, tasteful displays of ‘sexiness’ were looked upon as far more sexy than over displays long gone? Or is it all about context, where some overt displays of sexiness are ok where others would not be?

9 Responses to “Skanky versus subtle sexiness”

Comments

1. Severian says:

This is the epitomy of pure sexiness to me. As a male, I have a certain genetic response to sexually explicit images, but on the level that counts, the mind, the clip I link to is hands down sexier and more erotically stimulating than the aforementioned dance/potty mouth routine.

2. Severian says:

That link should be:

LINK

for some reason it’s not loading properly.

Actually I always considered Jimmy Stewart to be one of the luckiest men alive. When Grace Kelly kisses him that second time, it just sends a shiver down my spine. :D – Lorica

4. Chuck says:

Aww, man. Severian, you stole my thunder.:(( I was thinking of Lauren Bacall when I read this post.

You know how whistle don’t you Steve. You just put your lips together and blow.

That’s hot.

In this day of Bratz and Britney, people seem to think that letting it all hang out is sexy. Sexy is more than just how you are dressed. Sexy is also an attitude. Yeah, Rita Hayworth and Lauren Bacall had that attitude and the looks.
    I wrote a little bit about this on my blog if you care to look at it(shameless plug). My point was that women who are attractive and intelligent(like our own ST) are far sexier than most of what you see in the media these days.

5. Severian says:

Right on Chuck, you make good points in your blog. Sexy is a lot more than just naked, a whole lot more. Plus, in a relationship, when the woman finally does decide to grace you with her charms, it means a whole lot more if everyone from the dog to the paperboy hasn’t seen them already.

6. forest hunter says:

Ya’ll get no arguments from me! Double down with anything Bacalllllllllllllrrrrooo!

7. Baklava says:

On that note. The third set of commercials had a Victoria Secret commercial with zoom shots of women in sexy bras.

No. I’m not a prude.

But this was during American Idol which my daughters who are 7 and 10 watch. :(

8. Tom TB says:

The Andrew Sisters were never so scantily clad, and didn’t dance as suggestively, but notice that you never saw a single cigarette in the Aguilera video! Our military issued cigarettes during WWII to all members of all branches, and they were rationed on the home front. Taboos sure change!

9. Bachbone says:

This “sexuality” pendulum swings from extreme to extreme, just like most things do. Recent polls show kids are eschewing premarital sex in increasing numbers. A local TV piece said there has been a significant increase in the numbers of young women opting for life as a nun. The young women interviewed were as idealistic as any I’ve seen. Knowing what we do of the MSM, it’s reasonable to assume they report what they think deserves to be reported. Kids/People with decent lifestyles are not ‘news,’ but they are out there. A local TV station does a weekly “good kids” segment where it honors some group for something worthwile it has done. The station has honored kids of all ages who send packages to our military, visit vets in VA hospitals, spend time with senior citizens in nursing homes and hospitals, clean up vacant lots, paint houses for those with low incomes, and many other things. Many times, they’ve come up with these community service ideas themselves.

I sometimes get cynical about the current generation, too, but know there are ten times as many decent kids as there are the the other kind who make most of the news.