Racial hoax on the Columbia U. campus?

Posted by: ST on October 11, 2007 at 3:51 pm

Via AP:

NEW YORK (AP) — Columbia University has refused to turn over security videotape that could help identify who hung a noose on a black professor’s office door, police said Thursday.

Investigators began asking on Wednesday for tapes from cameras in the building, but have been rebuffed by administrators, said Paul Browne, the New York Police Department’s top spokesman.

He said police will have to get a court order to force the school to provide video they believe could crack the case.

“It’s unfortunate because it adds a time-consuming step to the investigation,” Browne said.

A Columbia spokesman did not immediately return a request for comment.

Authorities were testing the 4-foot-long twine noose for DNA evidence, but had no suspects as of Thursday morning.

On Wednesday, the professor who was the target of the attack, Madonna Constantine, told hundreds of faculty and students at a rally on the Ivy League campus that the incident was a “blatant act of racism” that “reeks of cowardice and fear.”

“I’m upset that our community has been exposed to such an unbelievably vile incident,” she said.

Police believe the noose was placed on the doorknob of Constantine’s office at Teachers College — Columbia’s graduate school of education — Tuesday morning, when a colleague spotted it and notified authorities.

It’s odd how Columbia won’t turn over the video. Jonah Goldberg speculates:

I wonder why that is? Perhaps it’s yet another racial hoax on campus? Or perhaps the perpetrator is another professor? It sounds more like the latter according to the reported victim:

[...]

Either way, I bet if the perpetrator were the head of the college Republicans, the tape would be on YouTube by now.

Yep.

Gateway Pundit has more.

6 Responses to “Racial hoax on the Columbia U. campus?”

Comments

1. NC Cop says:

Maybe it was president Ahmadinejad. Goodness, wouldn’t that be quite the scandal!!!

2. benning says:

I posted this on my blog this morning. It would seem I’m insensitive. But, yeah, the witheld surveillance tapes makes one wonder what the school is hiding.:-?

3. Leslie says:

Actually, I don’t blame the university at all.

No, on second thought that’s too strong. I’ll leave it so you all can see what I wrote at first.

I amend it to:

Actually, I believe I understand what is troubling the unversity. I would very much suppose that they want to review the tapes themselves before turning things over to the police. If it is another professor (and that’s far from impossible), Columbia would want to deal with the matter internally, rather than having somebody led off in handcuffs.

After all, while the person who would do such a thing is lower than a skank, my guess is that the crime is probably punishable with a fine and/or community service. Columbia itself could probably mete out more justice to this unfortunate individual than could the judicial system.

That said, Columbia’s actions will not at all please NYPD.

Finally, there is another element to be considered: Columbia has been negotiating to buy some land on the far west side along the Hudson River between 125th and 137th Streets–an area now dotted with old warehouses that would be condemned by eminent domain. Naturally, this offends the NIMBY faction, very strong in NYC, as well as the local community, which has an uneasy relationship with the university, which owns a majority of the real estate between 110th and 125th Streets.

So the university will surely not want to antagonize the local community.

4. Banjo says:

The universities increasingly see themselves as laws unto themselves.

5. PCD says:

I’m going to throw this out there.

PERHAPS IT WAS THE “VICTIM” PROFESSOR THEMSELF WHO DID IT!

I remember a female professor out at Chapman Univ., I believe, that faked a crime against her to highlight an issue near and dear to her.

6. Big Bang Hunter says:

- I think I know where this is going, but I’ll withhold any comment so I can savor the end esult at leisure.

– On a related note (from the book “What goes around comes around”) heres something to make your day. Apparently the Nutroots are very unhappy hippies.

“Leaders? Leaders don’t get led around by the nose by a two-bit moron like George W. Bush.”

– So tell us Nancy. You know, that thing you decided to do to try to gain a “broader” base, and even the playing field for the Dems.

– Well you bought ‘em, so you own ‘em. Let us know how that works out for you.

– Oh, and if the crowd of hip 60’s paste eaters gobble all the grass on your front lawn you can always have San Fransisco’s finest chase them all back to Berkeley.

– BBH – **==